The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2015, 02:10 AM   #1
wolffcub

Dynomax turbo vs Flowmaster Delta 50

Just thought i would post so others know and might help someone make future decisions. I built my exhaust setup using 2 delta 50's with my fentons. Granted they sounded great at idle as soon as you would take off the cab would do nothing but resonate LOUD. If i were to floor it it would be such a loud rasp from the end of pipes and so loud inside the cab it was actually getting to point your ears would start to hurt. You could not even hear the person next to you if they were trying to talk when cruising at 1800 or above rpm. The deltas have no packing and only use chambers in a linear fashion. The dynomax has packing and chambers that a kinda "s" flowing in direction.

I posted a long time ago about people helping me to identify what a loud raspy / chatter sound was when accelerating heavy. Turns out it was all just the mufflers. For some reason the downpipes and the long pipes before the mufflers were actually putting out the resonating loud rasp. Under the hood when working on the engine and revving it it was unbearable.

Installed the Dynomax turbos this evening and what a difference. I know some like rasp but out the tail is fine but to me the ride should be enjoyable. The ruck sounds so nice now. A very quiet low grumble at idle and when i stomp on it no rasp what so ever in the cab but just a louder grumble. Even out the pipes it has no rasp. Has a nice muscle sound to it under acceleration.

I know im going to get flack for this from others, but it defiantly has more pull now and when im up at 3000 rpm it does not sound like it wants to jump out of the truck anymore and its smoother. Could possibly the different back-pressure and a flow characteristics contribute to this?

If it aint broke I still try to fix it!
wolffcub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:19 AM   #2
whitedog76

Re: Dynomax turbo vs Flowmaster Delta 50

I saw a couple flow charts awhile comparing mufflers. As it turns out, Flowmaster 40's barely flow any better than a stock muffler. Other Flowmasters faired slighty better, but not much.

Dynomax mufflers actually performed quite well, all of theirs were middle to the upper end of the flow comparison.

I guess the Flowmaster name is a little misleading.

My personal preference is actually the Dynomax mufflers. The hollow, tin can sound of the Flowmaster isn't for me. I like it for about 5 minutes when is was about 19.
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 10:17 AM   #3
tmoble

>>> I like it for about 5 minutes when is was about 19.

yeppers. kinda like the cam gear drive noise makers. great for a few minutes.

skip the DroneMasters, go for the real mufflers. I use the long case Walker Super Hemi Turbos myself.
tmoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:30 AM   #4
Dan in Pasadena

I just checked Summit and the Dynomax appear to be about half the price of the Flowmasters too.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 03:11 PM   #5
OrrieG

I have been a Dynomax fan for a long time. When young ran the 16" ones, now that I am older use the 28" length! I found a lot of the resonatation came from dumping under the cab/bed down, just the right frequency and rebound to drive you crazy. I also run 2" into 2.5" exhaust pipes.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 03:28 PM   #6
_Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
I found a lot of the resonatation came from dumping under the cab/bed down,
yes indeed
truk should be getting a new exhaust system this summer
definitely going out the back this time

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:26 PM   #7
Tsunami

I understand that an "X" or "H" pipe will significantly reduce the resonance in the cab and also improve performance.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 06:50 PM   #8
fourspeedwagon

I recently put exhaust on my '39 pickup. Stock cast iron manifolds, 2 1/2 inch pipes and the bigger case flowmasters with no tailpipes beyond them- just dumped between the cab and the rear axle. It is flat out awful. I'm trying to decide if I will run pipes out back or switch mufflers and add tailpipes. Those droning flowmasters under the bed is like a big sound box. I need to find some mustang 5.0 kid to buy these so I can get something else. My problem is that they're in perfect shape and don't want to just trash em.. Walker Super Hemi Turbos huh? My Chevelle has old Sonic Turbos but I believe they are out of production.
fourspeedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 07:01 PM   #9
wolffcub

I just sold my 2 flow masters I took off today. I had the exact same setup with them dumping right below the box. Talk about bleeding ears. My new ones dump in the same spot but it's not nearly as bad as before. Due to my ride height and gas tank location I can't go up and over the axle. My only options are directly under the axle but that means if I ever jack up the chassis alone the axle will drop and hit them.

I think I'm just going to do a hard 90 out of the muffler and side dump it right before the rear tire.

Aslo going to pick up 2 resonators as I do get a slight low drone. The ones I found are 2" dia vs my 2.25" pipe. I don't think it should be an issue installing them in the system.

Oh and I already have a H pipe installed as I was told right from the start they help reduce some of the rasp from a inline.

If it aint broke I still try to fix it!
wolffcub is offline   Reply With Quote