The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-21-2017, 01:40 PM   #1
chincha805

S10 spring pocket upper bag cups

if you look at the photo, up inside the spring pocket are 9 or 10 tabs, do these have to be removed for the upper bag cup to fit over? my cups wont fit over them.
Attached Images

chincha805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 05:49 PM   #2
joedoh

Re: S10 spring pocket upper bag cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by chincha805 View Post
if you look at the photo, up inside the spring pocket are 9 or 10 tabs, do these have to be removed for the upper bag cup to fit over? my cups wont fit over them.
you might have the wrong cups. if I remember fullsize C10 and some fullsize car cups can be a smaller diameter, but I have had cups from lots of different manufacturers: thorbecke, air ride tech, newmatics, even LAim/Chassis tech, and they always fit over those parts.

I remember the ART cups would pressure fit over those because the early ones didnt have a bolt up through the shock mount. try pushing.

also, if you have a bolt in cup, make sure its clocked correctly, the bolt is not dead center in the cups especially with offset cups.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:08 PM   #3
chincha805

I am thinking the same thing of having the wrong cups. i have read here and on the S10 forum numerous threads on bagging s10 and never read anywhere about the tabs having having to be delt with, i will call my supplier and double check. thanks
Old 03-21-2017, 06:12 PM   #4
chincha805

also, i didn't mention that the lower cups , two bolts that mount the cups to the lower control arm don't line up with the shock bolt holes to narrow.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:19 PM   #5
mr48chev

Have you run the parts number on the bag/kit? Just by plugging that in a Google search you should be able to come up with what it says it fits.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:17 PM   #6
joedoh

I had a spare set of Air Lift offset cups on the shelf to check, the inner measurement is 5"

Old 03-21-2017, 09:27 PM   #7
chincha805

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
I had a spare set of Air Lift offset cups on the shelf to check, the inner measurement is 5"
for sale?
Old 03-21-2017, 09:29 PM   #8
chincha805

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Have you run the parts number on the bag/kit? Just by plugging that in a Google search you should be able to come up with what it says it fits.
there is no numbers on the cups only airlift on the bags.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:17 PM   #9
joedoh

Quote:
for sale?
honestly, you can get S10 cups brand new for so cheap now a days, it wouldnt be worth selling my set for less and then me buying another set later. bird in the hand and all that.

what is your measurement? I have a hunch they used 5" OD instead of ID. one time my wifes crazy uncles went to mexico for some big fireworks, the kind of big you add a UH sound to the word when you say it, BUUHHHIIIG fireworks. They were 6" shells, and the one uncle dutifully got some 6" pipe to launch them, but got 6" OD. the first one went up about 12 feet and exploded, knocking over the front row of spectators and setting fire to the house roof. the natural response was for everyone to back up. that was a crazy party, crazy the way you need to add "a"'s to the word crazy. like a couple seconds worth.

Old 03-22-2017, 12:44 PM   #10
chincha805

I called the company i bought them from and explained them the situation and they said the S10 p/u bag cups use a 4.5 OD cups. that is what i have and for the life of me i cannot get them to fit. they said also i have to re drill the lower control arm sock holes to make them fit. i would think they would weld them in the cups at the factory to fit the bolt holes in the LCA's.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:09 PM   #11
dsraven

do the bags fit the cups? sounds like they also have some waterfront property for sale somewhere too......
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 02:29 PM   #12
chincha805

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
do the bags fit the cups? sounds like they also have some waterfront property for sale somewhere too......
yes the bags fit on the cups,
ocean front property in Arizona.

i think they frequent this forum often, so i wont say the company name. i will just order a new set from Thorbros, which i should have in the first place.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:03 PM   #13
joedoh

Quote:
I called the company i bought them from and explained them the situation and they said the S10 p/u bag cups use a 4.5 OD cups. that is what i have and for the life of me i cannot get them to fit. they said also i have to re drill the lower control arm sock holes to make them fit. i would think they would weld them in the cups at the factory to fit the bolt holes in the LCA's.

I remembered I had a set of thorbecke lowers from when I had new lowers made for my 65, it was easier to flat plate and omit the bottom cup. anyway, they measure 5" OD, the air lifts measure 5 3/8" OD (5" ID) and for good measure I measured the stock springs which are right at 4.5 ID. so 4.5 OD might be really tight. those little clips bend pretty easy, maybe take the upper cup by itself and give it a whack to see if it will seat.

Also, make sure your fitting is oriented properly and the line is run properly, it may be hitting on the fitting or line

post a picture of your cups!

Old 03-22-2017, 03:35 PM   #14
chincha805

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
I remembered I had a set of thorbecke lowers from when I had new lowers made for my 65, it was easier to flat plate and omit the bottom cup. anyway, they measure 5" OD, the air lifts measure 5 3/8" OD (5" ID) and for good measure I measured the stock springs which are right at 4.5 ID. so 4.5 OD might be really tight. those little clips bend pretty easy, maybe take the upper cup by itself and give it a whack to see if it will seat.

Also, make sure your fitting is oriented properly and the line is run properly, it may be hitting on the fitting or line

post a picture of your cups!
I'll try whacking it, i am going to plate the lower control arm to eliminate that , i will post pics once i get home this evening from work.