The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-05-2017, 02:14 PM   #1
steve aleve

1954 Re key cylinders/ Upgrade to Modern Lock Cylinders

I wanted to see if anyone has upgraded the cylinders in their doors, ignition and glove box to a more "modern" type of key. I am not concerned with the chipped keys or anything just something a bit newer.

Also, if this is not doable, I wonder if anyone has been able to successfully re key everything to a single key. I am looking like I may need 3 or 4 keys if this cant be done and would like to consolidate to a single key.

Thanks in advance!
steve aleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 02:29 PM   #2
MARTINSR

Re: 1954 Re key cylinders/ Upgrade to Modern Lock Cylinders

Personally I dig the older key just because it's the older key. I have one like this for my 65 Buick.

I have one like this for my everyday driver Rambler.

My truck, I haven't driven it in so long I forget, but I had an original key if nothing else.

But something like this is cool I think.

But you shouldn't need all those keys, it should be just two, the ignition and the doors/glovebox. The doors and glove box can be re-keyed so they all match to cut you down to just the two. As far as re-keying to make one, I don't believe that can happen as the "blank" are different and won't go into the both of them.

Those are suggestions to keep the originals, as far as your question I don't think they can be modified and it would take changing them to new reproduction ones that maybe have a different key? I don't know, but just re-keying your locks so you only have two keys would be a big help.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 02:47 PM   #3
torchlight

I have everything on one key, but I don't have a glovebox lock. Still I think LmC sells a kit that gives you everything you need for a single key - new cylinders.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:09 PM   #4
mr48chev

Classic parts has the set for both doors, ignition and glove box for the 54 but it uses two keys. http://www.classicparts.com/1954-55-.../#.WTW5Yca1vv8

Personally I thought and think that having the old style keys is part of the charm of owning one of these trucks and have to ponder why someone would want "modern" keys.

As far as having one key do everything that will take talking to a real good locksmith. No sure it can be done then with the different basic designs of the keys as far as their grooves go.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 01:32 AM   #5
Quindel3100

I have 1 key for doors,ignition and glove box. Took them all to a lock Smith and had them keyed alike. New keys but original key code. Hope that helps. ( 54 3100)
Quindel3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:00 AM   #6
1project2many

I also have one key for all. I saved the parts from a keyed alike GMC that I stripped when I was a teenager.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote