The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-07-2017, 02:38 AM   #1
2Jhead

1959 wiper system - need help

Hi all

My -59 has the stock electric motor. It runs, but parts are broken and I have given up on it. The truck is a daily driver in a rainy area. It gets annoying when the motor reverses into park position. And I would love to have intermittent wiping action.

All this means I ma looking at an electric - electric conversion, basically I want a more modern setup

It seems all the "kits" out there are for vacuum - electric conversion. Which means I think, that they will not bolt into my truck. Should I just go full custom?

I have no idea where to look or what to look for, please help
2Jhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 12:40 PM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: 1959 wiper system - need help

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Jhead View Post
Hi all

My -59 has the stock electric motor. It runs, but parts are broken and I have given up on it. The truck is a daily driver in a rainy area. It gets annoying when the motor reverses into park position. And I would love to have intermittent wiping action.

All this means I ma looking at an electric - electric conversion, basically I want a more modern setup

It seems all the "kits" out there are for vacuum - electric conversion. Which means I think, that they will not bolt into my truck. Should I just go full custom?

I have no idea where to look or what to look for, please help
Take a look at Raingear wiper system. Its bolt in intermittent if you want that and also has the optional washer setup. Not cheap but a very good system
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 04:53 PM   #3
_Ogre

if the park function is the only problem and your going to throw out the motor any way, you can repair it
the switch is like a set of points where the cam is always rotating on the point arm
the cam eventually wears thru the arm causing the switch to work intermittently
i have fixed the arm before by silver soldering a piece of copper to reinforce the arm
you'll need to drill out the rivets that hold the motor together and then screw or glue the housing back together

easy peasy

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:16 PM   #4
Russell Ashley

I have Newport Wipers in my 57 and like it pretty well. It was a bolt-in. It has intermittent and two speeds, and pushing the button starts the washer and swipes the wipers three times. I have a reservoir with pump out of an S10 but haven't mounted it yet.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote