The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-09-2019, 11:50 AM   #1
pwdcougar

Floor pan coatings

Soon the floor pan of my Suburban will get sandblasted and epoxy primed. What is the best coating for the bottom of the truck? I posted a similar question on the paint section and Greg recommended Lizard Skin. From what I’ve read on another thread Lizard Skin is a latex paint with microspheres in it. I’m not as concerned with heat or sound as I am with protecting the metal.

Is a latex based paint my best bet?

Thanks

Paul
1970 4WD Chevrolet Suburban
1997 4WD Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed (purchased new January 1997)
pwdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 03:14 PM   #2
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Floor pan coatings

Are you talking about inside the cab or underneath the truck? I know there are some coatings used on bridges and such that are arguably the toughest coating for the underside. Unfortunately the name escapes me at the moment. If this interests you I'm sure a search or two would revel the name.
Inside or out I don't know of any latex paint that would be appropriate. There are some water based paint systems out there for automotive use. There is a bit of a learning curve if you're not accustomed to using them.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 03:25 PM   #3
Killer Bee

both of my burbs are 4x so I was planning to use bed lining coating in the pan and underside if I get to it..

garden hose and go.. I'm not really a 'carpet' guy in my trucks.. rubber floor mat is far as I'm going

I did roll and brush some stuff out of a gallon can in the floor pans of our CUCVs, the k5 and 5/4t..

turned out great! something like herculiner [sp?] from pep boys I think it was.. our SKs went out and bought it for us..

peeled all the crap out of the pan, little scrapin' n sandin' and brush cut the edges and rolled it out..

return from the field, light garden hose, dry, and done.. no smell, rot, mold, etc. and looked great to boot!

that stuff is really hardy if applied properly so I would think still a great undercoating even for topping with carpet, etc..

good luck!
Old 01-09-2019, 07:08 PM   #4
pwdcougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
Are you talking about inside the cab or underneath the truck? I know there are some coatings used on bridges and such that are arguably the toughest coating for the underside. Unfortunately the name escapes me at the moment. If this interests you I'm sure a search or two would revel the name.
Inside or out I don't know of any latex paint that would be appropriate. There are some water based paint systems out there for automotive use. There is a bit of a learning curve if you're not accustomed to using them.
I’m looking for something for underneath the truck. From my searching names like Lizard Skin, Al’s and Raptor have come up.

Paul
1997 4WD Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed (purchased new January 1997)
Old 01-09-2019, 07:51 PM   #5
notsolo

UPol-Raptor urethane undercoating is what I like, 4 qt bottles in a kit, some kits come with the shultz gun. Also comes in a tintable version, I add extra urethane paint and reducer on the top side for a smoother finish, but not as glossy as paint alone, thinner version put on metal or plastic, with HVLP GUN 1.8 tip after mixing well.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:01 PM   #6
pwdcougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsolo View Post
UPol-Raptor urethane undercoating is what I like, 4 qt bottles in a kit, some kits come with the shultz gun. Also comes in a tintable version, I add extra urethane paint and reducer on the top side for a smoother finish, but not as glossy as paint alone, thinner version put on metal or plastic, with HVLP GUN 1.8 tip after mixing well.
Thanks for the info!
Old 01-09-2019, 08:08 PM   #7
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdcougar View Post
I’m looking for something for underneath the truck. From my searching names like Lizard Skin, Al’s and Raptor have come up.

Paul
Sometimes the brain is slow. I was thinking of Mastercoat products.

https://nomorerust.com/store/17-finish-coatings
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:28 PM   #8
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I use 3M Body Schutz on the underside of all of my projects. Goes on easy, looks good, and dries quick.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-08864-Schu.../dp/B000PEQGMM

Just for reference, you can probably find it locally.....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:55 PM   #9
pwdcougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
I use 3M Body Schutz on the underside of all of my projects. Goes on easy, looks good, and dries quick.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-08864-Schu.../dp/B000PEQGMM

Just for reference, you can probably find it locally.....

LockDoc
Thanks Leon. How much do you think to do a Suburban? Also do you spray the plywood floor too?

Paul
Old 01-10-2019, 11:11 AM   #10
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Thanks Leon. How much do you think to do a Suburban? Also do you spray the plywood floor too?

Paul

Yes, I did the bottom side of the wood floor too. I also did the inside of the panel truck a couple of years ago, the entire cargo area except for the floor. I bought a case of 6 for the panel truck. It keeps pretty good.

Leon

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 01-10-2019 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:42 AM   #11
pwdcougar

A case of 6 at $34 each? Wow. Must be good stuff!
Old 01-10-2019, 07:44 PM   #12
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
A case of 6 at $34 each? Wow. Must be good stuff!
If I remember right I paid $28 ea. by buying the case. Hey, it's only money, right?....

-
Old 01-10-2019, 08:16 PM   #13
pwdcougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
If I remember right I paid $28 ea. by buying the case. Hey, it's only money, right?....
I can’t seem to find it by the case. Do I have to use the official 3M gun at $120?
Old 01-11-2019, 02:51 PM   #14
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
I can’t seem to find it by the case. Do I have to use the official 3M gun at $120?

I bought the case at my local Arnolds Auto Supply. I would think that any schutz type gun would work as long as it would screw on the bottles, but I can't back that up with any proof. I think that Dynatron, Astro, and 3M undercoating guns have the same size opening and threads. There may be others also.

EDIT: This place has it by the case.

https://www.goferauto.com/prfo3mboscru.html

I don't know anything about them. Contact info says they are in Tennessee.

LockDoc

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 01-11-2019 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:27 PM   #15
AD&Sons

Napa stores that carry Sherwin Williams paints have an epoxy that has been used on trains. So it should be very durable, it's not cheap though! I did the frame of my truck and the underside of the floor and wheel wells. Over the top of that I used Raptor bedliner on the floors. If you use epoxy what ever you are going to put on top of it do it in it's recoat window. The inside of my truck has Lizard skin. I am concerned about noise and heat. The metal is fully encapsulated so it should last longer than me!
AD&Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:47 PM   #16
pwdcougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD&Sons View Post
Napa stores that carry Sherwin Williams paints have an epoxy that has been used on trains. So it should be very durable, it's not cheap though! I did the frame of my truck and the underside of the floor and wheel wells. Over the top of that I used Raptor bedliner on the floors. If you use epoxy what ever you are going to put on top of it do it in it's recoat window. The inside of my truck has Lizard skin. I am concerned about noise and heat. The metal is fully encapsulated so it should last longer than me!
Thanks for the suggestions. Still not sure what I’m going to do. I’ve just finished sandblasting the entire underside of the body.

Paul