The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2009, 03:10 AM   #1
Cookie

steering column question

Hey guys i have a dumb question i have a 1986 jimmy with a tilt column well for the problem. The other day i got in it and tried to start it.The ignition would not leave the lock position i pulled the wheel to either side and still wouldnt realease well after about 30 minutes of screwing with it i got it to turn over and its been that way ever since. i won't even put it in the lock position anymore if i do ill be sitting there for awhile trying to get it out. i was wondering if theres an easy fix for this problem or what caused it so suddenly....By the way the only way i found to get the ignition is to move it to accessory then use alot of force to get it to the run position

Thanks in advance for any help
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h3...101/img110.jpgMy 98 Trans Am Ls1 6speed trans am's new motorhttp://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h3/jeath101/067.jpg http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h3/jeath101/018.jpg 1986 gmc jimmy 350/sm465 with 33's
1983 Chevrolet K20 SM465 6.2 diesel with 305,000 miles,gm8 turbo, 4:11s and 14ff
Cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:17 PM   #2
tvblazer78
Low & Fast!

Re: steering column question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
Hey guys i have a dumb question i have a 1986 jimmy with a tilt column well for the problem. The other day i got in it and tried to start it.The ignition would not leave the lock position i pulled the wheel to either side and still wouldnt realease well after about 30 minutes of screwing with it i got it to turn over and its been that way ever since. i won't even put it in the lock position anymore if i do ill be sitting there for awhile trying to get it out. i was wondering if theres an easy fix for this problem or what caused it so suddenly....By the way the only way i found to get the ignition is to move it to accessory then use alot of force to get it to the run position

Thanks in advance for any help

If you have two keys for your truck, look at them both and see if they look just a like, some times you will get a bad place in your key and it will not work right.

Now if it looks ok they you have a bad ignition swich and you will have to get a new one and the bad news is it's a pane to change out.

Let us know what happens.

Trav
tvblazer78 is offline   Reply With Quote