The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-21-2013, 07:14 PM   #1
lasher78

how to test instrument cluster?

here is my instrument cluster on my 66 stepper looks pretty good so i would like to ask how you can test to see if all the gauges work right as the truxk does not run and engine will have to be rewired as mice have eaten thru alot of the wires...and the gen light gauge will it work with reglar alternator or does something have to be changed? would like to keep rhis cluster if it works but if not will make my own with new guages... any info will help and pics of anything that needs to be done. thanks in advance.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2013, 03:06 PM   #2
lasher78

Re: how to test instrument cluster?

bump..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-22-2013, 03:58 PM   #3
Lugnutz65

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasher78 View Post
here is my instrument cluster on my 66 stepper looks pretty good so i would like to ask how you can test to see if all the gauges work right as the truxk does not run and engine will have to be rewired as mice have eaten thru alot of the wires...and the gen light gauge will it work with reglar alternator or does something have to be changed? would like to keep rhis cluster if it works but if not will make my own with new guages... any info will help and pics of anything that needs to be done. thanks in advance.
Posted via Mobile Device
I may have told you this in reply to another question you had, but you will really LOVE a Factory Service Manual for these trucks. They have tons of info that the average owner can use to service their truck. You will need to get the 1963 Factory Service Manual and also the 1966 Supplement Service Manual which will cover any updated info added since 1963. So you need both.

The simplest way to test the gauges and lights will be to remove the cluster and test and inspect all the bulbs. You might even want to restore the cluster while it's out. I did mine using the great info posted by TheAstronaut here in the 60-66 forum. See Link = http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...hlight=cluster

You will never regret spending the money for the Factory Service Manuals. They pay for themselves with the first project and then you don't have to BUMP as many threads.

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:20 PM   #4
lasher78

thanks that link looks it will help alot..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-23-2013, 03:25 AM   #5
lasher78

how do i get those service manuals?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-23-2013, 03:29 PM   #6
Lugnutz65

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasher78 View Post
how do i get those service manuals?
Posted via Mobile Device
Most of the vendors have them. Remember, you will need the 1963 Factory Service Manual (FSM) and the 1966 FSM Supplement.

You can always search eBay but good luck with any problems. I prefer the actual book over the CD ROM version.
I've read mixed reviews about the assembly manuals. Wiring diagrams are abundant and available free online, so save some of your cash and just get the FSM and 66 Supplement.

Truck and Car Shop in Orange, CA. see item #63-17804 for the 63 manual $38 link = http://www.truckandcarshop.com/trucks60_72/t60_156.html
and item #66-17807 for the 66 supplement $19.

LMC Truck has them. Link = http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cbe/full.aspx?Page=109 Look at the top left corner of page 109 in the catalog.

Classic Parts - same price as LMC. http://www.classicparts.com/Manuals/products/173/

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote