The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-30-2008, 11:48 PM   #26
69GMCLonghorn

Re: 5-speed tranny

I just started a new post to get replies from people with a Gear Vendors unit, which I've just ordered. I kept getting all these mixed opinions with the swap to a 5 speed from my SM465. I gave up and decided to shell out the cash for the GV. I should have it in less than a week. I'll reply back and let you know how the install goes. Technically, it gives you the same O/D as the other 5-speeds, with the advantage of having a total of 7 gears (you can't split the granny gear). So basically, I'll be at around 2300 RPM at 70 MPH... or I can red line at 175 MPH!!
69GMCLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 05:58 PM   #27
70rs/ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GMCLonghorn View Post
I just started a new post to get replies from people with a Gear Vendors unit, which I've just ordered. I kept getting all these mixed opinions with the swap to a 5 speed from my SM465. I gave up and decided to shell out the cash for the GV. I should have it in less than a week. I'll reply back and let you know how the install goes. Technically, it gives you the same O/D as the other 5-speeds, with the advantage of having a total of 7 gears (you can't split the granny gear). So basically, I'll be at around 2300 RPM at 70 MPH... or I can red line at 175 MPH!!

Yeah, but!! I hate to say this, especially since you already ordered it, but, the SM465 is a no shifting mutha (non-synchronised, hard shifting, and no down shifts without grinding), so I doubt you'll be able to get a total of 8 gearshifts out of it (1-4 + 1-4OD). Man I wish I would have seen your posts about a 5-speed. TKO500's in complete kits with everything you need for a swap run very close to what you paid for the GV unit??? The benefit of a TKO500 is that it is s modern Standard trans that shift nice and smooth and is bullet proof. Classic 5 speed has them, check out the link, mind you this is a super comprehensive "kit" with everything, other kits are less $$$ but you need to get other parts and unless you have them it is cheaper to buy it all at once. Anyways here's the kit:

http://www.classicchevy5speed.com/El...ck-Tremec.aspx

Man oh man, I just found a site with the info to swap a GM upgraded (strength wise) 5-speed into our trucks useing the stock bell housing, clutch etc, etc and save a ton o-cash!! This may be the best way to get a 5-speed that'll handle the power, better than the t-5/nv3500 and way more reasonable than the tko kit above!! Check it out:

http://www.5speedtransmissions.com/6...truck_5sp.html
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:51 PM   #28
Jim_PA

The only way to go manual if you are planning on racing, hot-rodding, or otherwise want fast, precise shifts is with a TKO.

An NV-4500 is a modern day heavy duty pickup-truck transmission. T5's are too weak, T56's are fine if you basically steal the unit from someone, otherwise you will pay way more than if you would have just done a TKO swap.
Jim_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:09 PM   #29
VanceH
Loving the Jimmster

I have never been a auto guy, always seems like auto pilot to me, i like to drive, but my days of racing are long over. Just want to shift!!
VanceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:29 PM   #30
GKsport67

Thumbs up Re: 5-speed tranny

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_mike View Post
Depends on what you consider better. If you like to row the gears, then no a 700R4 would not be better. If you don't like to do anything but steer, then a 7004R would be better.
Im a truck driver so i guess i like to row the gears!! i will check the price difference n compare the two...THANKS!!
GKsport67 is offline   Reply With Quote