The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-21-2016, 11:54 PM   #1
sventinker

radiator purchase help I6 292

So I am in the need for a new radiator for my 1970 c10 manual trans 292. I bought one from Rockauto and in the drawing it appears to be shaped like a traditional brass/copper radiator. It is not, it looks like the $130 specials that are flooded on eBay. It is an osc 368 and it came in in good shape but cheap as hell looking it is longer than my stock unit and the places where the brackets hold it are too far apart and not rounded. so it wouldn't fit if I wanted to. Where can I find a radiator that will just bolt in? I don't need a transmission cooler but they all appear to have this. I appreciate any help.
sventinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 04:34 PM   #2
sventinker

Re: radiator purchase help I6 292

anyone?

I also bought and returned a radiator from Oreily's it was bigger than the one from Rock auto. The mounts on my truck have not been modified so I can't figure why this is so difficult.
Old 04-24-2016, 05:30 PM   #3
'68OrangeSunshine

Today radiator manufacturers don't make the OEM style L6 width radiator. They have standardized on the wider V8 type, and for automatic transmissions.
Don't panic. The extra width is welcome as it means more cooling surface. [You live in the Desert, right?] All you need to do is relocate the passenger side upper and lower radiator brackets from the L6 to the V8 position.
The brackets on the drivers side stay the same. The passenger side ones move to the truck right, somewhat, about 2-1/2''.
You may need a longer lower radiator hose. On my 292 -- modified for V8 radiator -- I use Gates p/n 20489 for the lower hose. Upper hose is unchanged.
Attached Images

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 04-24-2016 at 05:51 PM. Reason: add pic
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 11:02 PM   #4
sventinker

Ok thanks I sorta wondered about the extra holes in the radiator support. I saw those after I posted the second time. I ordered from lmc the replacement lower and upper mounts in the 4 row variety as I am seeing that many of the 3 row radiators have larger tanks and when I choose the radiator tonight I don't want to fight it.

I have also fount that many manufactures don't have the upturn in the lower hose tube is there a hose that will work for that if I end up with one of those? I am considering this kks 3 row any thoughts on this radiator? I really don't want plastic tanks.
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2016, 09:12 PM   #5
'68OrangeSunshine

If the stock hoses don't fit your aftermarket radiator, you can try flexhoses.
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2016, 09:59 PM   #6
sventinker

That's a good looking engine. I like the flex hose look too. Kind of industrial. The hose you mentioned before is what O'Reilly lists for the I6 while the recommend the 28 inch radiator. Me thinks they go together well. I guess someone having the original mounts in an I6 truck for the 26 inch radiator doesn't come up often? I did find a brass and copper radiator that would fit the 26 inch slot I have and it was on the cheap too but it was a 1 inch 1 row core. I just don't think that's a good option for this desert truck.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:40 PM   #7
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sventinker View Post
That's a good looking engine. I like the flex hose look too. Kind of industrial. The hose you mentioned before is what O'Reilly lists for the I6 while the recommend the 28 inch radiator. Me thinks they go together well. I guess someone having the original mounts in an I6 truck for the 26 inch radiator doesn't come up often? I did find a brass and copper radiator that would fit the 26 inch slot I have and it was on the cheap too but it was a 1 inch 1 row core. I just don't think that's a good option for this desert truck.
Go with the bigger radiator. It can't hurt that much. The lower RH radiator bracket is more challenging than the upper, but that's about it.
Thanks, the pic in post 3 is current. The pic in post 5 is from the rebuild of 2002-2005. Same L6 engine, just 11 years down the road.
I get my radiators from Performance Radiators in Phoenix. They're made in Thailand, have a plastic drain plug, Auto trans in/outs, and a groove* along the top, the OEM Harrison's didn't have, but fit and work quite well in the V8 configuration. The side tanks are brass. [*The groove is handy for holding small fasteners when working on the engine.] They were reasonably priced, IIRC.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:01 PM   #8
GRX

Quote:
I have also fount that many manufactures don't have the upturn in the lower hose tube is there a hose that will work for that if I end up with one of those? I am considering this kks 3 row any thoughts on this radiator? I really don't want plastic tanks.
That is because the aftermarket companies have settled on the more universal car style radiators.

Last summer the pump on my 250 exploded allowing the fan to chew up the radiator. As you can see, it (right) had already been repaired once. Someone blocked off a row that was leaking.

Had an original rad from a '69 GTO (left) and it was almost identical except lacking the lower upturn. Ended up installing the hose first, then dropping the radiator in place. No biggie.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:52 AM   #9
sventinker

Well I got the KKS in today and I want to tell everyone that this is one nice radiator. Everything about it is tough. The tubes where the hoses connect are of a thick gauge. the welds are near perfect. It has the look of a traditional brass/copper radiator but its all aluminum. I wont be using the trans cooler but the bungs are solid and reinforced with good welds. It will require the mounting for the 4 row radiator buy this is going to cool so good. The lower hose port is upturned and the radiator comes with a 16lb cap that I wont use. One other thing I like is the top of the radiator has the solid support rail so the 6 cyl fan shroud rubber bushings have a place to rest. Overall for $200 this is a killer buy.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:50 AM   #10
'68OrangeSunshine

Pix?

Old 04-29-2016, 01:36 AM   #11
sventinker

Sure
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2016, 01:38 AM   #12
sventinker

And...
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2016, 02:10 AM   #13
swamp rat

That KKS is sweet!

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:10 PM   #14
'68OrangeSunshine

That is a nice unit. Only thing I'd have different is the 45* angle on the filler neck. It's much easier to add water or coolant in the field when the filler neck is on a level plane. No funnel needed. My Thai-built radiator has the angled neck, too.

Old 05-01-2016, 01:07 AM   #15
sventinker

Radiator went in well, the 3 row mounts both top and bottom from lmc are nice. I trimmed the rubber mounts a bit and now wish I didn't so I am going to order a new set. I drove about 5 miles and I couldn't get it very warm. I now doubt I have a t-stat installed. between the block and radiator it took about 4 gallons of coolant. the fan is now closer to the radiator and at idle you can feel the air being pulled over the radiator even at idle. My hose didn't reach and my local store didn't have the hose you mentioned so I walked into the back and picked out a Gates 21064 and it fit fine.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:05 PM   #16
sventinker

One more note I want to add the depth on the neck for the radiator is deeper than a stock radiator so my cap didn't seal. the cap that came with the radiator does seal. The part of the cap that has the spring and sticks in is longer than my stock cap.

I had this happen on a champion radiator I bought for my jeep. It kind of annoys me because if I ever need a cap I am screwed. When I called Champion they admitted they did that on purpose and sent me a couple of free caps. I wonder if kks knows this about theirs?
Old 05-01-2016, 10:12 PM   #17
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Well I got the KKS in today and I want to tell everyone that this is one nice radiator. Everything about it is tough. The tubes where the hoses connect are of a thick gauge. the welds are near perfect. It has the look of a traditional brass/copper radiator but its all aluminum. I wont be using the trans cooler but the bungs are solid and reinforced with good welds. It will require the mounting for the 4 row radiator buy this is going to cool so good. The lower hose port is upturned and the radiator comes with a 16lb cap that I wont use. One other thing I like is the top of the radiator has the solid support rail so the 6 cyl fan shroud rubber bushings have a place to rest. Overall for $200 this is a killer buy.
I'm sorry if I am asking a redundant question (long day and I am pretty tired) but this radiator here is for a 250 or 292 engine, right?

Also, does it have a way to drain from the bottom?

Finally, is there a place to attach an overflow tank?

Thank you!
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:45 PM   #18
sventinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
I'm sorry if I am asking a redundant question (long day and I am pretty tired) but this radiator here is for a 250 or 292 engine, right?

Thank you!
yes it has a drain and overflow connection it is a full purpose radiator. To say its for a 250 or a 292, I cant justify that. my stock radiator was a 26.25 core width and this one is 26.25 core width is what is accepted as the norm. I had to install new mounts that lmc sells for a "4" core radiator as the tanks on this are big. The radiator support has the holes already for the mount required for the 28.25 core width. The manufacture states this will cool up to 700 hp. and I will say I am having a hard time getting the engine warm.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:52 PM   #19
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:

Thank you!
1] Actually it's a V8 radiator. No one makes radiators just for L6s anymore. They were about 3'' - 4'' narrower.
2] Looks like there's a petcock in the normal place on the drivers side, under the lower hose fitting, as per pic in post #11.
3] The filler neck has the nipple for the overflow tube in the usual place too [see pic]. That's where the overflow comes from. Where you mount the puke can is your call.

Old 05-02-2016, 12:08 AM   #20
In The Ten Ring

Thanks a ton guys! I'm still awake, although I should be in bed.

I may give this company a call tomorrow......

I may be OK size-wise as far as the core support goes, my replacement core support came from a 396 V8 truck.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:21 AM   #21
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Thanks a ton guys! I'm still awake, although I should be in bed.

I may give this company a call tomorrow......

I may be OK size-wise as far as the core support goes, my replacement core support came from a 396 V8 truck.
BBCs usually had a 4-tier core. In my part of the country, at least.

Old 05-02-2016, 12:25 AM   #22
In The Ten Ring

Well my radiator donor truck was located in CA, I assume it began its life there.

I think my radiator brackets are all 4 core also, my replacements that is.
Old 09-20-2016, 02:52 AM   #23
In The Ten Ring

Going to call about this thing after all.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:28 PM   #24
In The Ten Ring

I called about this KKS radiator and found out some things. First, it's foreign-made. It comes with a radiator cap. I seems to fit my core support based on the dimensions I was given over the phone.

Free shipping and is priced about $20.00 less than the Champion unit suggested by members Jegs is carrying. The Champion is also foreign-made.

I like the flatter cap set up on the Champion but I like where the overflow spout is on this one a bit more. Still considering.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:57 AM   #25
In The Ten Ring

I think I am ordering this KKS radiator tomorrow.

Ordered! Let's hope 3rd time really is a charm.

(Bought Advanced Auto radiator recommended by member, got plastic and aluminum. Yuck).

(Bought Vista Pro radiator recommended by member, thing is about 1 inch too tall, even with bracket rubbers removed. Ugh).

(Bought the KKS unit......five day wait).

Last edited by In The Ten Ring; 09-21-2016 at 03:25 PM.