The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-18-2018, 04:16 PM   #1
skyphix

Second (third, fourth, etc...) set of eyes on my swap parts list

Hey everyone,
In May of 2019 I'll be getting a complete 2006 Yukon with a low mileage L59 (5.3) - I'm swapping it into a 1980 C10 and then parting out the rest of the Yukon.

I've spent quite a bit of time planning this, since its my first swap and I am trying to keep to a fairly tight time line. I'll be ordering parts and prepping the truck over this winter so its basically ready to drop the engine in, install the harness and any little bits (like the DBW pedal) that I want to add.

I developed a parts list, with part numbers, for how I plan to do the swap. I am also installing a 2WD 4L80E (wont know the origin until I get the unit over this winter) and having the company doing my harness conversion swap to 4l80e wiring and programming.

I am using a tablet + OBD2 bluetooth sender for my gauges, except fuel gauge, which I'll use a VDO gauge.

What am I missing? What should I add or swap out?

Thanks in advance,
Attached Images

skyphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 04:30 PM   #2
88Stanger

Re: Second (third, fourth, etc...) set of eyes on my swap parts list

Direct swap right in or will you build it before install? I assume from what i read you are doing a direct swap. If you are going to rebuild it, this list can really take on some additions, otherwise, you seem to have the jest of it all, from what i see at a quick glance.
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 05:24 PM   #3
skyphix

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Stanger View Post
Direct swap right in or will you build it before install? I assume from what i read you are doing a direct swap. If you are going to rebuild it, this list can really take on some additions, otherwise, you seem to have the jest of it all, from what i see at a quick glance.

Just a direct swap. The Yukon has 300k miles and is rusting out but the engine was replaced 5 years ago with a factory new complete engine + accessories and has about 45,000 miles on it, all dealer maintained with full synth oil changes every 3000 miles like clock work (I know the PO of the Yukon, even has the receipts!) It runs like a sewing machine, so I figure I'll check the basics but am going to put it in as is. This year is "get it running, not perfect", next year is focused around improving the rest of the truck (3.73 gears and a limited slip in the rear diff, some interior improvements, some body work,) then a healthy cam with bigger injectors and a tune, to get ready for a small nitrous shot.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:49 PM   #4
dayj1

If I'm missing something, I apologize. But, I assume that you're wanting the advance adapters kit because you're putting a 4l80e behind a 5.3 that would've come with a 4l60e? If so, you can use a stock flexplate for an application with a 4l80e like this one: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/atp-z270/overview/

Save the extra $110 for something else.
dayj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 05:52 PM   #5
skyphix

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayj1 View Post
If I'm missing something, I apologize. But, I assume that you're wanting the advance adapters kit because you're putting a 4l80e behind a 5.3 that would've come with a 4l60e? If so, you can use a stock flexplate for an application with a 4l80e like this one: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/atp-z270/overview/

Save the extra $110 for something else.
Thanks for that - my original plan was to use my existing TH350 for the trans and save up for an OD later, but I decided to bite the bullet now so I don't have to use a standalone trans controller or re-do the harness when I put the OD in.

The 5.3 is connected to a 4WD 4l60e yes - I totally forgot I would be able to just use a stock flexplate for a 4l80e application and it would work. Thanks for catching that!
Attached Images

Old 12-20-2018, 11:06 AM   #6
truckdude239

are you doing a preorder exhaust kit? my exhaust work at the local shop was 600 buxs for 2.5 pipes and 2 knock off flow masters and that was cheapest i found

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:36 AM   #7
skyphix

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckdude239 View Post
are you doing a preorder exhaust kit? my exhaust work at the local shop was 600 buxs for 2.5 pipes and 2 knock off flow masters and that was cheapest i found

Nah, the exhaust that's on there will be hacked up and used for now. Its solid and not very old with a single inlet/dual outlet Flowmaster on it. I'm picking up the downpipes to connect to the swap manifolds and then I'll re-use the tail pipes for material - I've also got a bunch of exhaust tubing off of other vehicles thats the same size. Its far from ideal, but "get it running, not right" is where I am starting. I expect to either have a single dump or a single side exit initially. Its a little small, 2.25", but shouldn't affect the stock 5.3 too much.

I'm doing all the exhaust work myself to save money, so its just the downpipes and any odd material I'll need. I want to either buy or fabricate (probably buy, realistically) a trans crossmember with two humps since the truck is pretty low and getting lower, so I'll do a true dual with an X then.

EDIT: I see the stock exhaust on the 5.3 is 2.75 - I'm pulling the engine from a complete 2006 GMC Yukon that has a brand new exhaust on it (put on summer 2018) - so I'll probably try to scavenge as much of that as I can.
Old 12-31-2018, 12:57 PM   #8
skyphix

More on the exhaust: I decided to go trailblazer/Reiner/ssr manifolds, then use the Y pipe from my donor Yukon (I know I’ll have to either narrow it or just cut the flanges and part of the down pipe off and use those.)

The exhaust is going to be extremely basic at first - TB manifolds to the section of the Y pipe from the Yukon to 2.5” tubing sourced from the Yukon or old tubing from my 4runner. I’ll try to do duals by going under the trans crossmember on the passenger side and sneak it over the trans crossmember on the drivers side. Either dumps or side exit for now with a small muffler for legality.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:43 AM   #9
LeesTruk

Sky, I've been watching your posts for awhile now. Your truck and your posts almost mirror mine from 3yrs.ago. The trucks are almost twins, and your questions almost the same I had. We're both using a 5.3L (mine's a '05 Tahoe LM7), a very good all-around engine. I used plates and trans. crossmember from Tejas Steelworks. Like you, I made my own exhaust from the engine back, using 2 1/2" pipe into a homemade Y. Tried the Stock Y from a Silverado, but found it would take too much cutting to fit. The Y collector is 2 1/2" in 3" out. From the Y is a 3" pipe into a Walker SS Quietflow muffler into a 3" tailpipe over the axle and exit behind the Rt. rear tire. For manifolds I used the ones from a Buick Rainier (same as an Envoy and TBSS)
Attached Images

LeesTruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 04:16 PM   #10
skyphix

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeesTruk View Post
Sky, I've been watching your posts for awhile now. Your truck and your posts almost mirror mine from 3yrs.ago. The trucks are almost twins, and your questions almost the same I had. We're both using a 5.3L (mine's a '05 Tahoe LM7), a very good all-around engine. I used plates and trans. crossmember from Tejas Steelworks. Like you, I made my own exhaust from the engine back, using 2 1/2" pipe into a homemade Y. Tried the Stock Y from a Silverado, but found it would take too much cutting to fit. The Y collector is 2 1/2" in 3" out. From the Y is a 3" pipe into a Walker SS Quietflow muffler into a 3" tailpipe over the axle and exit behind the Rt. rear tire. For manifolds I used the ones from a Buick Rainier (same as an Envoy and TBSS)
Your truck looks like it came out great! I'm doing it on a budget so I'm going to reuse my stock crossmember just moved back. Looks like you did what I expect I'll end up doing which is just using a short section with the flange to build the new Y pipe. I'm teaching myself to weld on this build so I've got about 5 months to get comfortable welding up exhaust tubing so I can do the same.

I'm not going to bother with tail pipes for now - either use the muffler that's there now or pick up a short/small cheap muffler to pass inspection with for now, exiting right in front of the pass rear tire.

Thanks for posting your stuff! Love seeing similar builds to keep me motivated.