The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2018, 10:33 PM   #1
Seanext

292 power steering head bolt/stud

I am putting together all the parts to install power steering on my K10 with a 292. I have the main bracket however it must be from a larger truck or a school bus because I have never seen one like this before, it is built very strong and is made of cast iron. The top two bolts go over studs that are on the front two head bolts, and the bottom one goes under the water pump bolt. The part number in the parts book for the head bolt is 383490 which is replaced with 9787075. The dimension listed are 1/2-13 3/8-16x4.8. Does anyone know of a source for these studs. I have the engine rebuilt and about to install the head and would like to find the studs before I torque every thing down.
Attached Images

Seanext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:22 PM   #2
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: 292 power steering head bolt/stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanext View Post
I am putting together all the parts to install power steering on my K10 with a 292. I have the main bracket however it must be from a larger truck or a school bus because I have never seen one like this before, it is built very strong and is made of cast iron. The top two bolts go over studs that are on the front two head bolts, and the bottom one goes under the water pump bolt. The part number in the parts book for the head bolt is 383490 which is replaced with 9787075. The dimension listed are 1/2-13 3/8-16x4.8. Does anyone know of a source for these studs. I have the engine rebuilt and about to install the head and would like to find the studs before I torque every thing down.
I do not know of a source for the head bolts with studs-in-cap, outside of a GM dealer. I have seen them over my 45 year association with the 292 L6, but never needed one myself. IIRC, the stud part was less than an inch tall. Have you asked for 9787075 head bolts at the parts counter?
If you can't get them from the Chevy/GM dealer, you may have to ask a good machinist if he can fabricate them. I have no expertise in metallurgy, so I won't speculate on the feasability of welding a 3/8''-16 UNC stud to the hex cap of a 1/2''-13 UNC head bolt. I think the Factory cast these special bolts as one-piece, then machined the threads on.
Some engine builders don't like to re-use head bolts due to bolt-stretch, but I'm not sure that's always the case with the L6s, as they don't have the dynamic loads the V8s do.
Good Hunting.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:56 PM   #3
Seanext

Thanks for the info I have tried to find them through the GM website for parts with no luck. I will try to go to the local dealer and see if they can help.

Again thanks for the information
Old 01-16-2018, 10:55 PM   #4
'68OrangeSunshine

Sure, no problem. Us 292 guys gotta stick together. What year truck is this for?

Old 01-17-2018, 12:39 AM   #5
Seanext

It is a 71. It is like a disease. I bough a 71 short bed project that had a 283 in it. It came with a six in it, so I decided on a 292 to go back in it. Three years later now I have the 71 K10 short bed along with two other 70 K10 projects both to be 292's, short beds, 71 K10 350 long bed as a daily driver and a 72 short bed with a 454 sitting it waiting to be finished.
Luckily I can hide them from my wife. When she asked about the checks for parts, I ask if she is wearing new shoes, and the subject changes all of a sudden. Not sure why that is.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:29 AM   #6
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
It is a 71. It is like a disease. I bough a 71 short bed project that had a 283 in it. It came with a six in it, so I decided on a 292 to go back in it. Three years later now I have the 71 K10 short bed along with two other 70 K10 projects both to be 292's, short beds, 71 K10 350 long bed as a daily driver and a 72 short bed with a 454 sitting it waiting to be finished.
Luckily I can hide them from my wife. When she asked about the checks for parts, I ask if she is wearing new shoes, and the subject changes all of a sudden. Not sure why that is.
I'm not married so my Chevymania can run rampant and unchecked. I bought a '68 C/10 Stepside [w/292/SM465/12 Bolt/3.73 Posi]] in 1973. Rebuilt another 292 and shoehorned that one in, in 1977. It lasted until 2002, when I started rebuilding the OEM 292.
Meanwhile, I bought a '67 K/10 Suburban [454 V8/TH350/NP205/12-Bolt, 3.73 posi] in 1993.
Bought a '71 GMC Jimmy [350/SM465/NP205/12-Bolt/3.73 Posi] in 1995 as a happy medium between the Sub and the Stepside. [An engine fire killed the Sub in 1998, but I still have the body.]
In 2002, I bought a '72 K/5 ''tub''/rolling chassis. A Marine buddy gave me a whole doghouse and doors from his ex '72 pickup. I have a couple of 292 cores kicking around the shop, and an SM 465/T221 standing by, but somehow the K/5 tub has 3.08 drive gears.
The Stepside got its ''original'' engine back in in 2005 and is running fine w/ Badger [cast] pistons, .030 over, chrome-moly rings, OEM rods, ARP fasteners, oversize intake valves [1.86'']. Crane 260H cam, HEI, Clifford headers, Offy intake, Edelbrock 500 CFM 4 Bbl carb.

Old 01-17-2018, 09:19 AM   #7
Seanext

I have one 292 that came out of a dump truck that I am building now. I bought a standard cam but am considering going with a bigger cam for torque since it is going in a 4X4. . I have Clifford headers and intake setup for a two barrel. Have not bought a carb yet was going to ask that question as well. What cam and carb would you suggest and also would adding lump ports be worth the time?
I live just outside of Charlotte NC so a lot of racing shops around that can handle the head work. I just happened to meet an older guy the other day that raced the 292 on dirt tracks. He says he has a barn full of old 292 stuff. I ask if he would like to part with any or all of it and said he would think about it but all of the parts were modified for racing. So i am going to stay in touch with him and see if I can make some kind of deal with him.
I just picked up a running 292 complete with power steering still attached for 400.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:00 PM   #8
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
I have one 292 that came out of a dump truck that I am building now. I bought a standard cam but am considering going with a bigger cam for torque since it is going in a 4X4. . I have Clifford headers and intake setup for a two barrel. Have not bought a carb yet was going to ask that question as well. What cam and carb would you suggest and also would adding lump ports be worth the time?
I live just outside of Charlotte NC so a lot of racing shops around that can handle the head work. I just happened to meet an older guy the other day that raced the 292 on dirt tracks. He says he has a barn full of old 292 stuff. I ask if he would like to part with any or all of it and said he would think about it but all of the parts were modified for racing. So i am going to stay in touch with him and see if I can make some kind of deal with him.
I just picked up a running 292 complete with power steering still attached for 400.
The racing guy sounds like a good lead. Don't build with ''race bearings'' as they are made for situations where the engine is torn down after each race, not long, lifetime runs.
When I first modified my 292 [1978], I don't think Clifford made their intake yet. I went with the Offenhauser [5416] and a four barrel attachment. [The Offy doesn't have a carb-heat circuit built in. In Tucson, I don't need it.] I first ran the Holley 4160/R8007 390 CFM 4 Bbl. After a 25 year run, on the next engine, it wouldn't hold idle, so I bought an Edelbrock [as Carter was out of business] EDL-1404, 500 CFM.
I have heard very good things about lump porting. Larry Page [''Twisted 6''] and once president of his local Orlando/Daytona chapter of Inliners International, once told me ''Lump porting shows significant performance gains at all RPMs.'' Another advantage of lump porting would be that you wouldn't need your studded-head-bolts (of purest inobtainium) for the P/S bracket, since the headbolt boss is replaced by a flush-head headbolt inside the head in a countersunk hole. The top of the head 1/2'' hole the old bolt went thru is sealed by a threaded cap. Running a 3/8-16 stud thru this cap would pose no problem as it has no dynamic load.
Cam I'm running is a Crane p/n: 213901, Grind #:H-260-2
"1963-1984 Chevrolet 6 cylinder 292 cu in. Smooth idle, daily usage, offroad, light towing, economy, also mild turbocharged.''
Crane Cams went thru a bankruptcy, so I don't know if they're still selling new cams. It's a good cam and I'd buy one again.

Old 01-18-2018, 10:00 AM   #9
Seanext

I have been looking at the Howard cams. Never bought from them but reviews are mixed. We got 5 to 7 inches of snow yesterday was 6 degrees this morning when I got up. Usually cold for us, so all business were shut down yesterday and today. So I have had time to search for parts online. Haven,t been able to find the Crane cam you are running but still looking. Hopefully I can get out to the shop today and get some work done.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:02 PM   #10
'68OrangeSunshine

I Googled CraneCams website and found my cam. If you search it by p/n:213901, it comes back empty, but if you search by Grind#, H-260-2, 4 options present themselves, and then you can select 213901. They give you the option of ordering from Summit, Jeg's or Lane Automotive. I don't know Lane but Jeg's or Summit are equally good in my opinion. There may be a delay as they might have to custom grind this cam.
Regardless of whose cam you buy, make sure you specify that it's for a Chevy* L6 292. The fuel pump lobe is in a different place on a 230/250 cam. If you mistakenly put in a 250 cam, you'd have to run an electric fuel pump.
I couldn't get a price, and there is the possibility that this is now a ''ghost website.'' When I hit 'order online' I got an ERROR 404 ''not found on this server'' flag.
You could also try Isky or Comp Cams. Never heard of Howard.
[*Ford once made a V8 w/ 292 cu in.]
If you want, I could shoot a jpeg of my cam card so a grinder would know the right profile.
It's 72 F here.