The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-21-2018, 06:10 PM   #1
69Tom

1970 C/10 SWB Step - Black n Blue

OK, so here's a few pics of my 1970 Chevy C/10 Short Stepside I recently purchased on eBay. I wasn't going to do a build thread, but seeing as I was going to post some rust prevention pics for those who may be interested, I decided to go with it.

The truck is a life-long South Carolina truck. I have the protecto plate, original manual, etc. It's a pretty stock truck. The truck did, however, have more rust that I anticipated. I don't think the seller was 100% honest with the listing, but oh well. I like the color combo of 500 Black exterior and 606 Blue interior. It has it's original straight 6 250 motor and 3 on the tree transmission. As you can see by the pic, the SPID is bursting at the seams with options.

I plan on doing an ECE disc brake conversion with a 2.5/4 drop. Going to add power steering to the 250 for the time being. Getting some 15 x 6.5 steel wheels with some new lug nuts. Haven't decided if I'll run the wheel covers or not.

The shipping company damaged my perfectly good driver's side fender, grille, headlight bucket and surround on the trip out to AZ. They have paid me the $ to replace it, but I can't say I'm happy about losing the original paint fender. I'd say most of the car is original paint, but you can tell there's section where a previous owner simply spray painted over rusty areas.

As far as interior goes, I'm completely restoring the interior to new specs. Going to keep the blue interior. Will probably get the Cloth Custom seat covers for 1970, and most likely 1969 Custom door panels as they don't have the faux wood applique on them like the 1970 Custom panels do. Going to go with a carpet and correct blue dash pad. I'll be adding a Vintage Air Gen IV system using an original A/C controller so it looks otherwise stock.

I'm going to try to keep as much patina on the exterior as I can. However, I am going to fix areas where it looks like the rust could be a problem down the line. I'm all for stuff looking old, but where there's a potential rotting problem, it'll be taken care of. I'll use single stage lacquer on the new fenders and repair areas to blend it in as good as possible. I will probably buff out the existing paint so there's some shine to it.

In any event, here we go.
Attached Images

69Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:13 PM   #2
69Tom

Re: 1970 C/10 SWB Step - Black n Blue

Here's the damage caused by the shipping company.
Attached Images

Old 02-21-2018, 06:17 PM   #3
69Tom

The previous owner installed a new fuel tank, which is nice. What's not so nice is that he was too lazy to install a new fuel line grommet in the floor. I'm sure after several hundred miles of driving, I had a good chance to go up in flames. Glad I did a tear down of everything.

Also, a few pics of some unknown rot.
Attached Images

Old 02-21-2018, 06:20 PM   #4
69Tom

Still retains the original spiral shocks and coil springs. Which were heated to lower. Those will be going.
Attached Images

Old 02-21-2018, 06:25 PM   #5
69Tom

So I started some work on the floor. The rust did not rot thru, and as I am covering it with Dynamat anyhow, I didn't care about the pitting. So, I used Corroseal Rust Converting Metal Primer.

The first pic is after I pulled up the mat and vaccumed the truck. Second pic is after wire wheeling the rust up. 3rd is about 10 minutes after applying a liberal coating of Corroseal with a paint brush. I didn't take a pic this AM, but the floor is now totally black/devoid of rust and ready for a coat of Eastwood Rust Encapsulator. I will then throw down a couple coats of Rustoleum Gloss Black paint to protect it, even though it'll be covered by the Dynamat.

After this, I hope to move the truck into the garage and start on the rocker and kick panel repair. I then have the lower passenger door to replace. Then off come the front fenders and radiator support. Hope to move fairly quickly on all of this. Until then....
Attached Images

Old 02-21-2018, 08:00 PM   #6
TexasLS1

I'm in to follow along, sucks about the shipping damage!!

I like the black n blue combo
TexasLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:27 PM   #7
flashed

Very nice old truck . If you decide to part ways with that blue seat cover Im interested in it .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:29 PM   #8
69Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
Very nice old truck . If you decide to part ways with that blue seat cover Im interested in it .
I am parting ways with it. Here’s the issue. The back section is not the same dye lot than the base. It’s lighter. If you don’t care hit me up with a PM and we can work out a deal.

Last edited by 69Tom; 02-22-2018 at 12:49 PM.