The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-19-2018, 10:12 PM   #1
MARTINSR

RIP to a local vintage car legend in the area.

A legend in vintage auto parts passed away yesterday, Don Knopp. Don had a store in a little "district" in town that has stayed as it was 70 years ago when it was a town, Niles. It's where the first "Hollywood" was, many movies were shot here of people like Charlie Chaplin, "The Tramp" was shot right there out of Essanay Studios.

Anyway, Don had this "antique" auto parts store since the late sixies. I bought parts for my truck there 40 years ago. He was a character to beat all characters a movie could be made of this guy, he was something else. That top hat you see him wearing with me was one of his signature looks, he wore it everywhere! I could tell stories all day long of this guy he was a funny, a jerk, brilliant, stupid, all at the same time!

He was I believe 85 last year (about 10 months ago) when I got that photo with him out on a day when they closed "Niles Canyon" to vehicular traffic and it was open for walking or biking for the day. We were a few miles from Niles where he lives out in the middle of nowhere when I saw him walking in a very fast pace, I couldn't believe it. I stopped to chat and a sweet lady came up and took a photo of him and me and she emailed it to me.

Yeah, I am thinking main street in Niles is going to have one hell of a funeral for him.

RIP Don and thank you so much for your personality and all the parts you sold helping guys like me with our old cars.

Brian
Attached Images

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:48 AM   #2
Foot Stomper

Re: RIP to a local vintage car legend in the area.

Great tribute Brian!
Those pictures are precious.

Share some of those stories with us, when you are up to it. You've lost a great friend, so take your time.

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 01:50 PM   #3
MARTINSR

Well first off, he had a mind blowing memory. You could talk in and ask for a tail light for a 1950 Studebaker and he would say "meet me over at my yard" which was a quarter mile from his store. You would hop in your car head over there and in he would come in his 55 Flatbed and walk you out into the yard and under a fender for a 59 Impala would be the tail light for the Stude you are looking for.

If you tried to bring down the price, it would go up, he did NOT sell anything for less than the price quoted. One I questioned the price and he opened up a binder he had and there in his hand writing was the price and he said "Nope, it says right there it's $50" LOL

He was a serious hoarder, he would have thrown the "American picker" guys out the door. He would go buy out a parts store and have a pile of boxes of gasket and bearings and stuff as big as a car sitting there. My brother and I use to joke "One day Don will die and they will find him among his hindges" Yes, the joke was he spelled hinges "Hindges."

He wore that top had everywhere, it use to have a oval Delco Remy tag off a distributor on the front held on with wire.

One time my brother and I were at the Oakland Roadster show (the GNRS) in 1995 when we showed his Roadster. Picture a NBA basketball arena with the best of the best cars down on the arena floor and 25k empty seats overhead. My brother and I were taking a rest sitting in one of those empty seats looking down onto the arena filled with near flawless show cars. In comes Don in filthy dirty, greasy clothes with that top had on. LOL

Yep, he was a character and a half for sure.

Brian

Old 07-20-2018, 02:44 PM   #4
MARTINSR

I like what one guy posted on facebook, and I am all for it.

RIP Don, Niles icon, should have a statue or plaque erected in Niles Train Park. F- - k Charley Chaplin, he hated Niles and the local hicks. Stayed in San Francisco while filming in Niles.

I do know that there are paintings of the guy in many of the antique stores there for sale.

Brian

Old 07-21-2018, 11:11 AM   #5
nvrdone

man, I grew up in hayward & never knew about this guy. what a loss.
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:09 PM   #6
MARTINSR

Most people for miles around the bay knew of him.

Brian

Old 07-25-2018, 05:26 PM   #7
62bagger

I have been in to Don's shop many times over the years. Good guy. I can remember going there to look for parts. The place did not looked organized but if you asked him, he could tell you if he had it and right where he had it. I loved going there. He will be missed.
62bagger is offline   Reply With Quote