The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-14-2012, 02:14 PM   #101
litew8

Re: Windshield gasket blues: Precision supplies Steele and possibly Soff Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoKeene View Post
Update on mine today......after 3-1/2 hours the installer is taking the glass, vinyl and trim back to their shop to WATCH THE VIDEO and see what they can learn I bet I'm going to have to do it myself to get it right. Stay tuned.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:21 PM   #102
Precision Parts
Tech Help

The video sadly did not show close ups of the finished install. Here are pictures that show how well the weatherstrip and chrome lays down.

Derek
Attached Images

Updates
Subscribe --->Installation Videos
Follow ------->Instagram
Like---------->Facebook
Precision Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:50 PM   #103
67cheby
67cheby

Nice job on the video, very informative !!
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:01 PM   #104
NoNeck

Great video... I wish I had seen it BEFORE the install on my son's '70 GMC Sierra Grande.

After bartering a deal on the windshield install, we contacted GlassDoctors. They informed us that they didn't carry the windshield gasket, and said we would need to furnish one.

We first purchased a windshield gasket from LMC for our application (wide, deep stainless trim). They sent the one listed in their catalog. It arrived, and was for the narrow trim. NICE... Called LMC, talked to a clueless customer service rep, and decided to take the forum members advice and get the Precision brand. Contacted Derek, and a few days later we have the correct gasket on the doorstep.

The GlassDoctors comes by my house to do the install (the truck is partially apart right now). As he is getting out of the truck, I hear him mumbling something about this install is going to be the end of the world... or something to that effect. I tell him that I overheard him, but he quickly informs me that he is not looking forward to this install.

He does the rope install using a lot of Silicone spray around the gasket. Then, he installs the stainless and places the windshield in the opening bottom first. Pulls, the rope out and everything looks fine except across the top edge. The trim has pushed out and is not seating in the opening. The guy says to park the truck in the sun for a few days and it should just "pop" in. Huh? Like magic?

Well, after two days of 100+ degree Tennessee sunshine, the trim is still not seated. Called GlassDoctors, they said they would send someone back out. Well, the first guy refused to come back out. They sent another guy who actually had experience with these old trucks and the windshield install. He actually pulled the windshield completely back out, re-roped it and sprayed it heavily with soapy water. This time, he started at the top and worked down. 30 minutes later, perfect.

Our stainless was a little bent on one edge near the top, but the gasket fit really nice. Bottom line, get a quality gasket, name brand windshield (ours was PPG), clean the channels on your stainless and your windshield opening on the cab thoroughly, and get an experienced installer.

Derek at Precision actually contacted me about a week later to see how the install went. Talk about customer service! I would use Precision for any gaskets needed from now own. Great company, great information, and great feedback. What else could you ask for?

NoNeck

If it costs you a dollar to make a friend, KEEP THE DOLLAR.
If it costs you a friend to make a dollar, KEEP THE FRIEND.
NoNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:52 PM   #105
william-theglassman

looks great to me
william-theglassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:29 PM   #106
D.PASSMORE
One of the First

Inside pictures...
D.PASSMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:08 PM   #107
Lee H

I had my windshield installed today. I supplied all the parts, Pilkington glass, original trim that I had polished, precision gasket. 30 minutes and they were done, looks great, no ripples, trim lays nice and flat. I'm very happy. Safelite did the install for $100, they said they have lots of old dogs that can install these.

Ran into a snag with the original rear window. The gasket is about an 1 & 1/2" to big. They said sometime they can install a little big but this is way to big.
Attached Images

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:11 PM   #108
67cheby
67cheby

we put our rear window in last night with the Precision gasket fit beautiful !! Trying to figure out if i am brave enough to attempt the front one or not ???? The video sure makes me think i can ...LOL
Old 09-21-2012, 01:54 PM   #109
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Update 2.........
After about a year and a half and several pro attempts I finally have a windshield install worthy of the rest of my truck. Precision gasket, PPG glass and OEM trim. Installers watched the video, started from the top down and Bingo!
I would like to thank the guys at Precision for the video and the input to this thread.
Feels good to have this behind me!
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:49 PM   #110
67cheby
67cheby

i just called the local glass shop, they want $150 to install my windshield....looks like i will be watching the video again !! LOL
Old 09-21-2012, 08:48 PM   #111
litew8

Old 09-21-2012, 09:59 PM   #112
67cheby
67cheby

Me and my wife installed my windshield tonight ! Thank you Precision for the seal and the instructional video !
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-21-2012, 10:03 PM   #113
Lee H

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67cheby View Post
Me and my wife installed my windshield tonight ! Thank you Precision for the seal and the instructional video !
Posted via Mobile Device
Nice!!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Old 09-22-2012, 12:05 AM   #114
67c10rustbuket

Excellent vid Mr. Precision! This will be very helpful when I put mine back in, Thank you!

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:40 AM   #115
RexDodge

Just finished installing all new precision seals (rear window, doors, wing windows and windshield). All went well. I did soak the windshield gasket in hot water for about 2 hours prior to installing that (around 62f outside). Didn't use any lubes or sealers. The last two pics show a slight pucker in bother outside corners but that will relax. After it relaxes a bit I will put a butyl rubber sealant from the top corner to the cowl. If these trucks leak that is the area it will usually come from.
Attached Images

RexDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:43 AM   #116
RexDodge

Here is a pic of the back window.
Attached Images

RexDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:17 AM   #117
eagleuh1

67cheby, I'll be up with my windshield, new gasket and truck on Thursday for Bikes,Blues, and Barbecue. Can I just drop it off? Was nice talking with you and ogling your unfinished truck at Slamily reunion. Jim
eagleuh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:10 PM   #118
67cheby
67cheby

LOL, come by i will help you, it wasnt bad at all....I followed the video exactly step by step !
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2012, 12:14 PM   #119
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Quote:
LOL, come by i will help you, it wasnt bad at all....I followed the video exactly step by step !
Is your windshield trim OEM or repro?

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:30 PM   #120
67cheby
67cheby

mine is my OEM repolished , i have a brand new Precision brand front trim still in the box that i bought in case we couldnt get all of the dings out of my original trim !
Old 09-22-2012, 12:33 PM   #121
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Quote:
mine is my OEM repolished , i have a brand new Precision brand front trim still in the box that i bought in case we couldnt get all of the dings out of my original trim !
Nice polish - the trim looks new. Good job!

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
Old 10-03-2012, 11:56 AM   #122
Precision Parts
Tech Help

Glad to read that people are having a lot of positive results!

Lee H. I sent you a PM to see if I can help.

-d

Updates
Subscribe --->Installation Videos
Follow ------->Instagram
Like---------->Facebook
Precision Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:20 PM   #123
Lee H

Reference the issue I had in post 107.

Derek contacted me and sent out a new gasket free of charge. The new gasket fits like a glove and the trim lays nice and flat. Precision Parts and it's employee's are all about customer service. Thank you Derek, Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precision Parts View Post
Lee H. I sent you a PM to see if I can help.

-d

Old 10-03-2012, 11:29 PM   #124
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I think the problem I'm having with mine is that the trim is not in the correct shape. It may have been tweaked when it was removed from the old gasket. And it was beat on by the installer on the bottom corners. I can see it is smooshed down on one side. Where can I get good trim at for replacement?

I think I need a better seal for my rar window also. I installed it, no problems with that. The seal is just not tight around the edges. It fits loosely if you know what I mean. Didn't have a problem when it was installed in my old cab.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:38 AM   #125
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
I think the problem I'm having with mine is that the trim is not in the correct shape. It may have been tweaked when it was removed from the old gasket. And it was beat on by the installer on the bottom corners. I can see it is smooshed down on one side. Where can I get good trim at for replacement?
I'd go to the parts board for OEM trim regardless of the effort involved in tracking down a set. Doing so would have saved me a lot of $$ and time. I regret purchasing repro trim.