The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-11-2017, 01:20 PM   #426
evilokc

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

I haven't had a lot of time to get out and mess with the throttle cable. however I did notice that I neglected to install the cable adjuster! man its hard working on these when your dumb. I will get back in there and put the adjuster on and see if its close enough I can adjust the slack out of ir or if I need to trim the cable. either way it WILL work.

Last edited by evilokc; 09-14-2017 at 06:50 AM.
evilokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 12:04 AM   #427
MARTINSR

Made a patch panel for the bottom of the cowl tonight. Last night I fit the rain gutter, holy crap I may be back on my 5 minute a day plan! I hope I can keep it up.

Brian
Attached Images

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 12:45 AM   #428
idbeast

I've been busy playing with spray foam just to see how it might look... It's still a ways from being finished but coming along!!!

mr48chev, if this isn't what I like, I can always have the original seat recovered and make a different center console for it , then put this stuff in my 55 GMC!!!!
Attached Images

idbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 10:53 PM   #429
evilokc

got into the garage today. ive been trying to get the throttle cable on for a couple of days and its just not working. I finally had to admit that the new very cool looking throttle bracket was the problem. it makes me route the throttle cable at extreme angles that probably aren't going to work. I couldn't make them work. I removed the new cool throttle bracket and put the old bracket back on and everything seemed to fall into place. i got the cable installed and its just about done. the only issue ive run into is that the return spring and the transmission cable want to go into the same hole on the carb linkage. I started up the truck and gave it a few revs and its close. I haven't done any fine adjustments on the cable and I will probably adjust the idle a tad. so progress was made, motors roared , and I'm a hop skip and a jump from running this thing down the road again. I'm disappointed that I cant use the new throttle bracket but this is the nature of our hobby. could I make it work? of course I could but the effort and time would far exceed the payday. I'm ready to drive and move onto other parts of the truck
Old 09-20-2017, 12:04 AM   #430
MARTINSR

Got the patch panel welded in. My five minutes a day is well under way, now if I can keep it up!

Brian
Attached Images

Old 09-20-2017, 10:51 PM   #431
evilokc

nice job martinsr
Old 09-21-2017, 01:26 AM   #432
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilokc View Post
nice job martinsr
Thanks!

Tonight all I got done was to clean the place up so my son could move his motor for his Falcon in the garage. But getting out there for anything is included in my 5 minute a day plan. I did check out what had to be next and decided to remove the door tomorrow and weld up the front edge where I ground too much off.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2017, 03:11 PM   #433
gigamanx

You know, just a bit of late summer grilling.

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:45 PM   #434
robertsjm711

Front end drop - planned on 2" ended up with a little more... but I like it that way.
Attached Images

robertsjm711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 05:50 PM   #435
mud.man.rj

Drop looks just right.
Mudman.
mud.man.rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:12 PM   #436
evilokc

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsjm711 View Post
Front end drop - planned on 2" ended up with a little more... but I like it that way.
looks fantastic. its low and aggressive but not "cant drive over bumps" low. perfect
Old 09-21-2017, 09:19 PM   #437
evilokc

I DROVE! I DROVE MY TRUCK today! they are building a new neighborhood across the street. the streets and curbs are done but they haven't started building a single house. I thought that would be a good place to test drive. I got to the end of the block and saw I was almost out of gas. I didn't want to have any issue that might be caused by low fuel so I drove about 1/2 mile to 7/11. i let the truck idle while I gassed up.drove back to the neighborhood. gave it some gas and squealed the tires pretty good. squealed around the first corner then a cul-de-sac. brought it back and parked in the driveway. here is my assessment after the 5 mile-ish drive 1) the idle isn't right. when I start it up in the garage it ides great but the in-gear idle isn't close. it didn't die nor even try but it got low enough that I worried about it. I got out and gave the idle screw a small tap but I believe this carb has duel idle screws. I'm going to research that tonight and get the idle right. 2) from tip in to about 1/2 throttle its a freaking monster. couldn't hardly keep the tires from squealing. however and there is always a "however" after half throttle it didn't want to accelerate any more. it would but it wasn't shifting as I expected. it was then I realized I hadn't hooked up the transmission cable yet. so I will figure that out this weekend as well. right now that's it. being behind the wheel of my truck after a year was almost magic. my guts are still smiling.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:31 PM   #438
gigamanx

Quote:
I DROVE! I DROVE MY TRUCK today! my guts are still smiling.

That's awesome! I bet you got some looks at the gas station. Thank goodness you didn't blow yourself up with the truck idling. Was it the transmission kick down cable not hooked up?

Only a year to driving pretty impressive

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 05:46 PM   #439
evilokc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigamanx View Post

That's awesome! I bet you got some looks at the gas station. Thank goodness you didn't blow yourself up with the truck idling. Was it the transmission kick down cable not hooked up?

Only a year to driving pretty impressive

no the kickdown cable isn't hooked up. I'm going to get that on and go through all the new carb tuning before the next test drive. the float level is good. I'm going to check the mixture, and in gear idle. its close and I'm excited. people at the gas station were very interested in the truck. its got a pretty thumpy idle and there were a lot of questions. they like my suicide doors too.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:56 PM   #440
evilokc

did some tuning today. its remarkable what a quarter turn on the mixture screws can do aint it. I was able to get the mixture , idle, and fast idle set in the driveway. I have a vacuum gauge that I'm going to use to check my ide before I drive it again but its very close. the quality of the idle today compared to yesterday is crazy. it feels solid now. I may have figured out the kickdown vs return spring issue as well. tomorrow will tell. worst case I will make a small bracket. I'm hoping to get that done early tomorrow so I can get back out and drive it again. ive started referring to the unbuilt neighborhood across the street as " the track". Ive even taken my motorcycle over there to run through it moto style. I'm going to miss that place when they start building houses.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:31 AM   #441
idbeast

Quote:
ive started referring to the unbuilt neighborhood across the street as " the track". Ive even taken my motorcycle over there to run through it moto style. I'm going to miss that place when they start building houses.
ROFLMAO
idbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 12:14 PM   #442
MARTINSR

Quote:
I DROVE! I DROVE MY TRUCK today! they are building a new neighborhood across the street. the streets and curbs are done but they haven't started building a single house. I thought that would be a good place to test drive. I got to the end of the block and saw I was almost out of gas. I didn't want to have any issue that might be caused by low fuel so I drove about 1/2 mile to 7/11. i let the truck idle while I gassed up.drove back to the neighborhood. gave it some gas and squealed the tires pretty good. squealed around the first corner then a cul-de-sac. brought it back and parked in the driveway. here is my assessment after the 5 mile-ish drive 1) the idle isn't right. when I start it up in the garage it ides great but the in-gear idle isn't close. it didn't die nor even try but it got low enough that I worried about it. I got out and gave the idle screw a small tap but I believe this carb has duel idle screws. I'm going to research that tonight and get the idle right. 2) from tip in to about 1/2 throttle its a freaking monster. couldn't hardly keep the tires from squealing. however and there is always a "however" after half throttle it didn't want to accelerate any more. it would but it wasn't shifting as I expected. it was then I realized I hadn't hooked up the transmission cable yet. so I will figure that out this weekend as well. right now that's it. being behind the wheel of my truck after a year was almost magic. my guts are still smiling.
There was once an article in RodAction Magazine back in the seventies that described that first drive, and how all the busted knuckles and such were forgotten, it's so true, so true.

So cool, thanks for posting about it.

Brian

Old 09-23-2017, 01:28 PM   #443
Black_Sheep

Put some heat wrap on the head pipes, after lunch I will get back to sanding...
Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:38 PM   #444
handyhands

I decided to move my motor down and back (s10/Ad) 1 1/2 back, & 3/4 down. For more room. Everything is really tite. Solved a lot of issues, plus changed my mounts around and came out better then before. Will clean motor good has I can before putting it back in place. Next will be exhaust pipes and glass packs.( Speedway exhaust pipes and Smithy glass packs ) all 2 1/2 inches. Fuel lines and pump next, also from Speedway. I don't have the rear axle yet so I haven't sent off the pcm to be reprogrammed. Will be next step.
handyhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 07:58 PM   #445
Black_Sheep

More sanding, it's very close to getting the final round of primer...

Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:12 PM   #446
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Last year I was in Reno for Hot August Nights and bought a PowerBlast Plate from Thompson Performance. The salesman made a good pitch for the product and had a cool video presentation, so I figured I would give it a try.

Well I finally got around to installing it after looking at the online instructions which are very well done. I don't know why I waited so long, but man I can't believe how much it changed the off the line acceleration of my truck. I made it fill like its got a lot more horsepower and torque from a standing start. The throttle response is instantaneous!

I don't endorse a lot of products, but this one really worked great for me. Now 4 of my buddies that have heard it perform asked me to order one for them.

http://www.thompsonperformance.com/

Attached Images

ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:25 PM   #447
evilokc

I was able to get the kickdown cable and return springs installed today. I had to make a small bracket. I took the truck out and ran it through the "track" again. it ran well enough that I took it out on the road. I put about 7 miles on it. a couple of things that need attention. I discovered that i hadn't put the retaining screw in the gas pedal and at one point it fell off under my foot. that was neat. it was while i was putting it back on that i remembered i didn't put the screw in yet because i hadn't finalized the position of the pedal on the splines. that will need to be done. the return spring bracket worked but I'm going to move it to tighten the springs up a tad. I'm also not positive on how tight the trans cable should be. driving regularly the trans shifted as expected but under hard throttle it really didn't shift when it should have. i will research that. the last thing is the throttle is almost on/off. it is very unhappy at tip in but if you tap it and take off just a tad faster than normal it works fine. so i need to find out what that adjustment is. over all the truck went down the road happily though and i was very happy to be driving it.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:08 PM   #448
MARTINSR

I started on the drivers door to finish up the sectioning work I did 25 years ago. Well, it helps to protect that bare metal even in sunny California, because it is rusted thru! The lip at the bottom was also way too big, don't know what I was thinking when I did it but I got out a stock door I had to compare and then started making the corrections and I'll make a new patch panel too.

While the doors where there thought I would make a comparison shot with the stock and the 3.5 inch chop and 2.5 inch sectioned door.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2017, 12:06 AM   #449
MARTINSR

Well this is as pathetic as it gets, I am making a new patch panel to replace the one I made 25 years ago that rusted out and the truck was never even on the road! Geeez, I can't believe how rusty this got, it's sickening how stupid I was to not protect it as I should have. But you know, I was closing my shop of 13 years, I had a lot on my plate at the time and this didn't get the priority.

But anyway, it's underway.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2017, 05:15 PM   #450
mud.man.rj

You may have dropped the ball a bit back then, but your on it now, will get nothing but better..
Mudman.
mud.man.rj is offline   Reply With Quote