The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-06-2017, 12:28 AM   #2376
Dan in Pasadena

Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

EDIT

I JUST realized I am a complete idiot! The bolts that are broken off are NOT the rear seat mount bolts. They are the front two stock gas tank bolts! DOH! I could have left them broken off flush as they were. Damn. I was reviewing what everyone wrote and Clarence’s photos reminded me.

It would have bothered me to leave them broken off but now with one drilled through and one with a broken bit? I can’t leave them. They would drive me crazy! I HAVE to get them out just to install a clean bolt to cap the unused holes. CRAAAP.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:32 AM   #2377
G&R's57GMC

Seat looks great !

As for the broken bolts , are two bolts on the same rear mount or each rear mount .

If only on one you can delete the second without compromising the mount.

BTW ...

It's only 20 days 'till the big elf comes looking for cookies and milk ....
Attached Images

'56 Chevy Long Bed I6, 4 speed Bought 1990 Sold 8.22.2020
’56 GMC Suburban Pickup V8, 4 speed Hydramatic Bought 1996 Sold 10.11.2020
My Other Tinkerings http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...75#post8967275
G&R's57GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:46 AM   #2378
Dan in Pasadena

See my last post, Glen. I am a moron! I was confusing the rear seat mounts with the stock gas tank mount bolts. I briefly wondered why the rear seat mounts only used one bolt while the front mounts had two bolts, but I quickly dismissed it out of stupidity!

Old 12-10-2017, 10:09 PM   #2379
MBrown

Looking great , Dan! What did you use for a trans dipstick tube? Stock or aftermarket?

Thanks,
Mark
MBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 10:45 PM   #2380
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBrown View Post
Looking great , Dan! What did you use for a trans dipstick tube? Stock or aftermarket?

Thanks,
Mark
Stock.

I stopped by the body shop Saturday and Marcos was in the process of final polishing one of my bedsides. They look great - I hope I don’t screw them up by assembling/morning the bed myself. I’m gonna get some bubble wrap for them at Home Cheapo to carry them home/store them til assembly.

I’ll pick up most of the parts this week. I am officially retiring Friday, 12/29 so thereafter all the delays wil be on me! I thought I’d have the truck totally done by my retirement date but now I know it’ll still be awhile. But that’s ok. Gives me plenty to work on!

Old 12-10-2017, 10:50 PM   #2381
Black_Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Stock.

I stopped by the body shop Saturday and Marcos was in the process of final polishing one of my bedsides. They look great - I hope I don’t screw them up by assembling/morning the bed myself. I’m gonna get some bubble wrap for them at Home Cheapo to carry them home/store them til assembly.

I’ll pick up most of the parts this week. I am officially retiring Friday, 12/29 so thereafter all the delays wil be on me! I thought I’d have the truck totally done by my retirement date but now I know it’ll still be awhile. But that’s ok. Gives me plenty to work on!
Congratulations on retirement Dan! Please keep pics of your build coming, they provide me with inspiration...
Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:00 PM   #2382
Russell Ashley

Congratulations on your retirement, Dan.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:04 PM   #2383
NorCalGal

Retirement hmmm ........sounds like you need to start looking for your next project.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:18 PM   #2384
Advanced Design

Congratulations on the upcoming retirement! And for the time you will have available to finish your truck. Enjoy!
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:35 PM   #2385
bosco

Truck is looking great. Congratulations on your retirement. I still have a few years to go, but looking forward to working projects on my truck. Enjoy your retirement and truck.
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:21 AM   #2386
oldman3

Dan, add my congrats on your retirement, and welcome to the retirement group...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:14 AM   #2387
Dan in Pasadena

^^^ Thanks you guys^^^

I kinda agonized over whether I should pull the plug even though I reached 63 on December 1st - which is the “magic” age for my CalPERS pension.

Then the week of Thanksgiving I found out my best friend in middle school and high school had died. We hadn’t been in touch in a long time but mutual friends told me he’d been struggling with alcoholism, was estranged from his whole family, and died at home alone and no one knew until the police were called days later. An awful way to go out in my opinion. It made me sad, and made me more determined to make the absolute most out of my retirement years. Sorry for the sob story but its the real reason behind the kinda sudden decision.

Old 12-11-2017, 04:41 AM   #2388
Nut Case

Go full throttle for as long as you can, then do a slow burn. Rustin out is not in my plan!!!

Congratulation.

nc
Old 12-11-2017, 08:45 AM   #2389
lower50's

Congrats on the soon retirement!!! I have a few years to go yet.
1967 Jeep CJ5 1.9L TDI 33X13.5X15 Mud Grapplers.
1952 GMC 9700 p/u 7.3L diesel on air, dually
lower50's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:57 PM   #2390
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Congrats Dan! Now get back to work on this awesome truck!

ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:02 PM   #2391
Daze57

congrats on retirement dan ---ive been at my job a very long time ----for me i still like what i do and keeping my hands and mind busy isnt so bad.
Enjoy your time -----you have earned it --truck looks great and you will have a great time with it
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:08 PM   #2392
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daze57 View Post
---ive been at my job a very long time ----
Me too. 26 years though I purchased additional time so 31 years “on the books.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daze57 View Post
...for me i still like what i do and keeping my hands and mind busy isnt so bad.
I still like what I do too. It’s HARD to take a lifetime becoming an expert in a unique specialty, then decide you won’t use that knowledge and experience anymore....it’s why I struggled to decide.

In addition to my old friend who passed away, i just found out a younger co-worker(52) already had a heart attack and a bout with cancer! I’d rather regret retiring too soon than regret retiring too late!

Old 12-12-2017, 12:04 AM   #2393
joedoh

yeah man, no one ever dies wishing they had more money, they all want time!

see my sig quote, HDT said it and its true, retire and be happy!

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 02:00 PM   #2394
56hotrodred

Congratulations on the upcoming retirement!

I was more or less forced into retirement about 3 or 4 years ago when the price of a barrel of oil plummeted. It was only a few years earlier than was planned and I still had a few big jobs to do around the ranch but with all the time on my hands I basically did them myself.

I have also watched several of my friends and family members pass away way to early and not get to enjoy any sort of retirement. My step-father passed away at 70 less than 1 year after his official retirement. He worked hard to get to where he was!

Anyway enjoy! It great!
56hotrodred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 02:32 PM   #2395
G&R's57GMC

Congrats on your up coming retirement ! Or How did I have time for work ?

When my day came I loaded the last of the stuff into my '56 and as I pulled out of the building the dozer started tearing the place down . I stood outside of the construction fence watching as the dozer finished off my last place of work for the last 20 years , Then it hit me I'm retired ! Retired at last !

That was 1998 . My wife retired later that year . Then we bought a Casita and started traveling . Moved, designed and built my garage and shop addition, bought a new rental house and designed a second garage for it, still more travel, found a builder and split my old homes lot and traded 2 lots for him to build a house that I designed for me on my lot this was 2006 ,still traveling, Sold that house in 2011 and bought a second new rental here . 2012 Bought a '69 Airstream and started to rebuild it then the wife was diagnosed with cancer and started treatments in 2013 by 2014 she was in remission and I was back on the Airstream got it usable by 2015 and we took a long trip in it. Unfortunately she relapsed and died in 2015.

2016 I met my future wife and we traveled all year. We got married in January 2017 and have been traveling ever since along with getting my Dart back on the road.

At this rate I may get back to my other projects sometime in the future . Hopefully sooner then later.

Good luck with the bed assembly but already painted that's a 2 person job who have done it a bunch of times before. Ya might want to rethink the idea of having the shop do it.
'56 Chevy Long Bed I6, 4 speed Bought 1990 Sold 8.22.2020
’56 GMC Suburban Pickup V8, 4 speed Hydramatic Bought 1996 Sold 10.11.2020
My Other Tinkerings http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...75#post8967275

Last edited by G&R's57GMC; 12-12-2017 at 02:39 PM.
G&R's57GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 07:25 PM   #2396
Dan in Pasadena

Ah Glen, very sorry to hear about your loss. It must be painful still. So sorry.

My retirement is coming at the right time. I have been “out of the office” assigned to heavy civil construction jobs sites in L.A. for over the last 10 years. This was good in that I had complete freedom and autonomy. But the bad part was guys in the field are completely overlooked when it comes to promotion. In fact getting passed over for the last one in favor of someone who admittedly knows nothing about construction and would never agree to work in a field environment tore it for me. I was looking for a way out after that. But I’m ok with it. I wouldn't have wanted to go back to the coat and tie, 8 to 5 environment anyway. I have 26 years service and another 5 years we’re allowed to “buy” for a total of 31. With my age that gives me the most pension I can get for the years. With some money I’ve managed to save for later when inflation hits me and a reduced Social Security I’ll get eventually because I have a pension from a public agency I will hopefully be fine.

Old 12-12-2017, 07:34 PM   #2397
Dan in Pasadena

Back to the truck, I picked up a bunch of my parts from the painter this afternoon:

Bed front panel
Side steps
Cowl vent panel (I’ll use the non-vented panel instead)
Door panels - Man, they look great!
Some small miscellaneous parts like ash tray, glove box hinge, etc.

I bubble wrapped it all so there could be no damage and put it safely in my garage for assembly later.

I REALLY need to get going on finishing the bed wood because it’s a time eater. I also need to drive the truck to a local place for glass installation. But to do that safely I need a seat installed. Those broken gas tank strap bolts^^^, keep me from putting in the seat, can’t put the seat in without putting in the seat belts first. And on and on. “Everything is waiting on everything else.” But I will have lots for time after 12/29 so it’ll get done.
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2017, 02:47 AM   #2398
bobinbc

"I REALLY need to get going on finishing the bed wood because it’s a time eater. I also need to drive the truck to a local place for glass installation. But to do that safely I need a seat installed. Those broken gas tank strap bolts^^^, keep me from putting in the seat, can’t put the seat in without putting in the seat belts first. And on and on. “Everything is waiting on everything else.”

HOLY ANAL-ITIS Dan! Don't let a little thing like this bog you down! I just crawled under my truck and the front tank strap bolts are visible from below. Go under the truck and clamp a vise grip onto the end of the bolts and turn them out from the bottom! If there is nothing to get a grip on them then seal the hole from the top, install your sound deadener and carpet over and forget about them. They won't leak and they won't be seen and nobody will ever know... Plus they are already painted/bedlinered to match lol Then put the belts and seat in and get the glass done, presto!

Also I've assembled a bed for one of these before in primer and although it could be done I would not want to do it single-handed in fresh paint FYI.

Congrats on your upcoming retirement! You are going to woder how you ever found the time to work a full-time job

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cana...geChevyTrucks/
bobinbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 12:11 PM   #2399
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinbc View Post
"I REALLY need to get going on finishing the bed wood because it’s a time eater. I also need to drive the truck to a local place for glass installation. But to do that safely I need a seat installed. Those broken gas tank strap bolts^^^, keep me from putting in the seat, can’t put the seat in without putting in the seat belts first. And on and on. “Everything is waiting on everything else.”

HOLY ANAL-ITIS Dan! Don't let a little thing like this bog you down!
Ha ha, this made me laugh out loud because you’re absolutely right of course.

You caught me thinking out loud when I posted that. I DO tend to think things to death. I arrange all the steps I need to take in order and think about the tools and time I need, how I need to jack the truck up as high as I can so I can get leverage on whatever tool I’ll use to turn those bolt “stubs” out, etc. Sometimes I need a slap or a splash of water to come out of it and you JUST gave it to me - Thanks, Bob!

Quote:
Also I've assembled a bed for one of these before in primer and although it could be done I would not want to do it single-handed in fresh paint FYI.
Thanks for this advice too. The parts I picked up yesterday look PUURFECT. I am stoked over how great they look and the idea of messing them up kills me. As soon as I get the wood finished I will reconsider my options. By then the holidays will be over and maybe I’ll just let the painter do the reassembly.

Quote:
Congrats on your upcoming retirement! You are going to wonder how you ever found the time to work a full-time job
Thanks again. This is what everyone says. I hope it’s true.

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 12-16-2017 at 09:25 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:06 PM   #2400
Flames97

Really like your build, everything looks great!

'15.5 Chevy Duramax LTZ/Z71, LML, CC/SB
'77 Chevy K10, 4" lift, 33-12.50, 350/350
'55 Chevy Short Box (In Pieces)MII,4-link,Bagged,383 Stroker,700r4,3.73posi (SOLD)
My 55.2 Chevy 3100 Build
Flames97 is offline   Reply With Quote