The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The pre 1947 Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-09-2018, 11:50 AM   #1
CSHADES

adding a trunk to your truck.

I don't know about you guys but one of my problems with driving my truck as much as I do is the lack of enclosed carrying space. When ever I need to haul some thing like a fuel can for the lawn mower or tractor the can always slides around in the back or if I need to carry some tools to help my friends on some thing the cab is full of stuff rolling around. So I was at a swap meet and came across this trunk off of a 30's car(I assume) and thought it may fix my problem. So last summer I finally got around to trying it. I made a stand to mount it in the truck and used it with the ugly paint on it to see if it was going to work the way I wanted it to. So about the middle of August I put it in and used it for the rest of summertime driving. I pulled it out when I put it in storage and after the workstation restoration I got on this to get it done. I wont put it back in the truck until it comes out of storage in March.
Attached Images

CSHADES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:10 PM   #2
dennislbrooks

Re: adding a trunk to your truck.

I like and I need similar for the 42,
Old 01-11-2018, 10:02 AM   #3
CSHADES

I see them all of the time at swap meets for a $150 or less depending on what shape they are in and how fancy they are. They are a small project as far as painting. the biggest problem I had was figuring out where I wanted to mount it so it was as close to the back of the cab with out hitting it with the lid open. I got this one painted but the lid is giving me fits. I wet sanded and buffed out the clear last night and somehow when I wet sanded it ended up with some major scratches that are going to require me to repaint the lid this weekend.
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2018, 01:28 PM   #4
notsolo

Beautiful work, sorry your clear coat didn't sand out correctly. For me it is near impossible to keep it all clean, looks like you also have other things going on which doesn't help. How many coats of clear work best for you? Nice score on the trunk BTW, looks like a nice size....Ed
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 04:20 PM   #5
CSHADES

The amount of clear I put on depends on what I am doing at the time. I generally put 3 medium coats on if I am going to sand and buff, 2 coats if not.

Last edited by CSHADES; 01-15-2018 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:06 PM   #6
mr48chev

Pretty slick and beats a diamond plate aluminum tool box for looks any day.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 10:56 AM   #7
CSHADES

I finished the assembly of the trunk and installed it this week. One of the things that I haven't shown on here was tha third brake light that I installed. I had an old crusty one that I had used to try out the idea. I was going to repaint and rechrome the crusty light. I found a nos light at the swap meet that was very nice. So I decided that it was cheaper to buy this light than have the ring rechromed on the old light. I did repaint the nos light because when I removed the mount bracket from it half the paint came with it.
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2018, 08:51 PM   #8
NicholasRivera34

That looks really nice. much better than just throwing in a locking toolbox. Very nice work.
NicholasRivera34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:15 AM   #9
CSHADES

Thanks--- the trunk has been very useful already. I needed to haul home some diesel for the tractor the other day and the 5 gallon can fits inside of the trunk perfectly.