The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-22-2019, 02:04 AM   #1926
sawman

Re: How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10

looks very nice,
sawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 12:48 AM   #1927
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerstone View Post
I can relate to your "therapeutic" comment on that kind of work. It's nice to step outside of your day to day thoughts and saturate yourself into something that 99% of people will never even think twice about. My problem is I tend to do this on almost every task I undertake when it comes to my truck project. I admire some of these guys who just knock it out and move onto the next step. Great work as always Chris,
I’m the same way, I like to take my time and think it through, but I’m running outta time here. Appreciate the positive comments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawman View Post
looks very nice,
Thanks a lot!

Very happy with how the column turned out, once I figured out how to put it back together properly. Nice, tight, and smooth operation with no binding or weird noises. New turn signal switch, bearings, and grease and loctite in all the right places. It’s not an ididit, but at least I can say I did it

If anyone is wondering, the lower mounting bracket that normally is on the outside of the firewall is now on the inside, I simply cut, flipped, and welded it back together at the proper angle and it attaches to the same mounting holes, but from the other side.

Super happy with the way the comfort grip setup looks and the upper u-joint is tucked in about as far as I think it can go, now we’ll see if the steering shaft fits without rubbing anywhere
Attached Images

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 01:46 AM   #1928
smbrouss70

I like the way your brain works! I've thought about modding a steering column like that before, but never got serious about it since I'm still running the stock gear box. Maybe I should upgrade to the No Limit R&P so I have an excuse to do this.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

1967 Pontiac GTO - Dad was the Original Owner
1970 Chevy 2wd SWB "Oscar's Truck"
1970 Chevy 2wd Blazer "Ratchet's Blazer"
2013 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison Z71 LTZ "Brown Sugar"
2017 Chevy Suburban "BDB"
2020 Chevy Blazer Premier "Foxy"

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Shop Build
smbrouss70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:12 AM   #1929
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbrouss70 View Post
I like the way your brain works! I've thought about modding a steering column like that before, but never got serious about it since I'm still running the stock gear box. Maybe I should upgrade to the No Limit R&P so I have an excuse to do this.
It’s such a minor thing, that no one will ever really notice, but I’m proud of the way it turned out. I just wish it was a tilt That NL rack would have sure saved me a TON of time on this project

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
Old 04-23-2019, 01:33 PM   #1930
TA_C10

Curious, still have the hole where the shift lever was? Looks good man, I will probably do same now with bracket thanks for the idea.

"It's only money".
TA_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 02:20 PM   #1931
smbrouss70

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringoloco View Post
It’s such a minor thing, that no one will ever really notice, but I’m proud of the way it turned out. I just wish it was a tilt That NL rack would have sure saved me a TON of time on this project
The little things that nobody notices is the stuff that I love, especially if they can keep it looking stock while upgrading the functionality.

The NL rack seems like it would have saved a ton of time until you realize that you would have been re-engineering everything else to get it to work well together like the PB stuff does.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

Shop Build
Old 04-23-2019, 03:33 PM   #1932
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA_C10 View Post
Curious, still have the hole where the shift lever was? Looks good man, I will probably do same now with bracket thanks for the idea.

The hole was shaven by a PO using JB Weld or something similar, not the best, but it works well enough until I decide I want to paint it again. For now, that part of the collar is rotated down where it’s not readily visible
Quote:
The little things that nobody notices is the stuff that I love, especially if they can keep it looking stock while upgrading the functionality.

The NL rack seems like it would have saved a ton of time until you realize that you would have been re-engineering everything else to get it to work well together like the PB stuff does.
Agreed, instead I’m re-engineering the whole truck to fit the PB parts

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 04-23-2019, 07:24 PM   #1933
SCOTI

Quote:
The hole was shaven by a PO using JB Weld or something similar, not the best, but it works well enough until I decide I want to paint it again. For now, that part of the collar is rotated down where it’s not readily visible

Agreed, instead I’m re-engineering the whole truck to fit the PB parts :lol:
And improving things is a problem somehow?

I actually have been considering this shortening mod w/an old automatic van tilt I have had for y e a r s..... I figured it would be worth a shot so I could get a better angle to the PB placed R&P under-hood by getting it closer to the firewall while also getting it closer to the dash @ the same time on the inside.

Appreciate sharing the parts/pieces related info for sure.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 04-23-2019 at 07:29 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:16 AM   #1934
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
And improving things is a problem somehow?

I actually have been considering this shortening mod w/an old automatic van tilt I have had for y e a r s..... I figured it would be worth a shot so I could get a better angle to the PB placed R&P under-hood by getting it closer to the firewall while also getting it closer to the dash @ the same time on the inside.

Appreciate sharing the parts/pieces related info for sure.
No problem, glad to help. Highly recommend the CPP piece, if it will work for what you’re doing. Money well spent not having to engineer a bottom bracket and bearing setup.

Your motives echo mine, while trying to keep the steering shaft to two joints only... we’ll see if that works out. I had already moved the column closer to the dash, which just made the under hood angles that much worse. I think trying to keep the shifter mechanism would add a level of complexity, but these things are pretty simple once you’ve taken them apart and put them back together five or six times...

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 04-24-2019, 09:28 AM   #1935
SCOTI

Quote:
No problem, glad to help. Highly recommend the CPP piece, if it will work for what you’re doing. Money well spent not having to engineer a bottom bracket and bearing setup.

Your motives echo mine, while trying to keep the steering shaft to two joints only... we’ll see if that works out. I had already moved the column closer to the dash, which just made the under hood angles that much worse. I think trying to keep the shifter mechanism would add a level of complexity, but these things are pretty simple once you’ve taken them apart and put them back together five or six times...
This is my biggest concern going into it. But, I've had this van column in my parts stash for 20+ years. I figure I can give it a shot before spending the big $$ for a short aftermarket set-up. Haven't 100% committed to a decision yet.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 04-24-2019, 01:53 PM   #1936
TA_C10

I'm sure you already know this but just in case we have a member #70shortfleet that rebuilds these columns. His price was half the cost of an IDIDIT or FlamingRiver column and its OEM. I had to pick and choose my battles for time sake otherwise I would have rebuilt mine but since mine was 3 on the tree like gringo's here I figured this was my best option to gain tilt He does a great job, top notch professional. And his shipping methods include some of the best "Made in USA" packing I have ever seen lol. I'm 6'5 so he shortened my column for me, added the cruise control lever, tilt column, added the automatic shift indicator, and painted it gloss black for me. It includes the rubber grommets but you use your original brackets and hardware and of course brake signal switch if needed.

Few pics: https://photos.app.goo.gl/CqZ5PzurLU2oUxHVA

"It's only money".
TA_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 12:46 AM   #1937
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Been chipping away at installation of some parts: headers are in with new gaskets and hardware, steering shaft is in and clearing everything, fuel and brake hard lines are plumbed, and I spent some time building custom plug wires. I feel like it’s starting to come together and if I don’t manage to break anything important, this thing might just start soon
Attached Images

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 04-29-2019, 12:57 AM   #1938
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

...and since most of the things I needed to access under hood are complete, I hung the core support, fenders, and hood.

The All-American Billet hinges pretty much fell into place and work like a dream. They don’t open as wide as the stockers, but plenty to stick my head in and work on stuff. Also, plenty of clearance for the Hill’s inner fenders, as indicated by the closed pic with the template marked in sharpie. Overall, pretty satisfied...
Attached Images

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 04-29-2019, 09:10 AM   #1939
smbrouss70

I've been waiting to see those hinges go on. I'm glad they are going to clear the Hill's fenders. Can't wait to see this thing on the road around here! When do you need to have it loadable for the move?

R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

Shop Build
Old 04-29-2019, 09:25 AM   #1940
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
...When do you need to have it loadable for the move?
23 May we hit the road, so I have but a few precious weeks. This is starting to feel like your thrash for Power Tour

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 04-29-2019, 09:33 AM   #1941
smbrouss70

Quote:
This is starting to feel like your thrash for Power Tour
Which is starting again. I have much less to do this year though and there isn't anything that is being done that will stop it from making the trip this time.

R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

Shop Build
Old 04-29-2019, 10:16 AM   #1942
knomadd

Nice work! Are you going to run wire looms to keep the wires off the exhaust manifolds? 3 weeks to get it running so you can drive it onto the trailer!!!

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:56 AM   #1943
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by knomadd View Post
Nice work! Are you going to run wire looms to keep the wires off the exhaust manifolds? 3 weeks to get it running so you can drive it onto the trailer!!!
Thanks! They are loomed, sort of, I used the stock style plastic clips. The wires do not come near touching anywhere right now and the headers are ceramic coated, so fingers crossed they will be ok. I do like the idea of the rail type separators and if this doesn’t work out, I’ll probably go that route.

Yup, 3 weeks to go, and this isn’t the only iron in the fire
Attached Images

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 04-29-2019, 12:14 PM   #1944
SCOTI

Fingers are crossed for success..... Best of luck!
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 04-29-2019, 09:56 PM   #1945
sprint_9

Glad to see a positive review on installation of the hood hinges, I have a full size set arriving tomorrow.

What ceramic coating is on the headers? Titanium Cerakote?
sprint_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 11:20 PM   #1946
cornerstone

You're on the home stretch man! Everything is looking so clean.

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 12:32 AM   #1947
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Fingers are crossed for success..... Best of luck!
Thanks Scoti!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint_9 View Post
Glad to see a positive review on installation of the hood hinges, I have a full size set arriving tomorrow.

What ceramic coating is on the headers? Titanium Cerakote?
You will not be disappointed with the hinges, super nice stuff. Worth the money, I dunno, but they are the only game in town for what I wanted to accomplish.

Good eye, it is titanium cerakote.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerstone View Post
You're on the home stretch man! Everything is looking so clean.
Thanks for the kudos, shame I’ll have to tear this all apart again, but glad to see her coming together.

Speaking of which, I sure have missed this face:
Attached Images

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 04-30-2019, 12:43 AM   #1948
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

In other news, I will need to do some body mount “adjustments” to get the body lines and trim looking like I want them to.

The “get more low” side of me says cut the bed mounts down, the “get more driveshaft clearance” side says shim the cab. I was already planning on pulling the bed one last time, so that’s probably gonna be the answer. Just means more cab floor surgery
Attached Images

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 04-30-2019, 10:12 AM   #1949
knomadd

Ugh... That's the thing I'm fearing the most. My bed is higher than my cab too, so I bought all new body bushings for when I tear it apart again for paint.

With the front sheet metal mounted, it looks like you're almost done! Looks fantastic Chris!

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:23 AM   #1950
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by knomadd View Post
Ugh... That's the thing I'm fearing the most. My bed is higher than my cab too, so I bought all new body bushings for when I tear it apart again for paint.

With the front sheet metal mounted, it looks like you're almost done! Looks fantastic Chris!
Thanks Duane, that was a big visual hurdle, but there’s plenty left to do!

This alignment issue is with a brand new set of poly bushings; the fit was much better with the rubber pieces. I’m all but set on “body dropping” the bed mounts, since the cab and front clip are already aligned (and, ya know, never low enough ).

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)