The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-03-2016, 12:50 AM   #1
Shelby0099

Project Farm Fresh: 1967 C10 LWB <10k miles

I am hopping onto an official build thread from my initial post in January. I am still in the process of disassembly, today I removed the bed from the frame.

Will be grinding on the frame for rust removal and begin the mechanical rebuild before the extensive metalwork. Plan is to build a rotisserie for the cab, keep everything mostly stock and just build a clean, slightly lowered daily driver...I'm thinking I won't need a lot of drivetrain rebuilding as it only has 9967 Miles.

Color scheme I'm thinking will be either light blue with burnt orange wheels, or light green with burnt orange wheels. If they don't look right I'll just go with black wheels.
Attached Images

Shelby0099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:32 AM   #2
cleanfreak

Re: Project Farm Fresh: 1967 C10 LWB <10k miles

Followed along in your into , looks like you've got a good plan. I have had a bunch of 283's thru the years , I have found the best response / driveability with that little 2bl carb on yours , might help with the budget that you've laid out. Good luck - keep us updated- Bob
cleanfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 11:02 AM   #3
kehstr

subscribed to watch the updates
kehstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 11:58 AM   #4
Shelby0099

Thank you Bob,

Yes, I was thinking about putting on a smaller 4bbl carb like a 500cfm simply because I'm more familiar with an Edelbrock carb etc, but I'm changing my mind. I think I'm just going to keep this original 2bbl and stock intake and see if I can get that awesome 283 sound once I remove that turbo muffler. That 2bbl is 500cfm as well, right?

You make a good point with drivability too and I certainly want to keep it that way. I don't need to make a ton of power, that's not my goal with this truck. I love how the air filter looks and I simply want the sound. The truck already runs well, I'll tread lightly and if I don't get that sound I'll put in a cam and tweak the 2bbl before I think about going with a new intake and 4bbl carb. There's no reason to go off the handle with this....not yet anyway lol.
Old 04-03-2016, 12:33 PM   #5
Shelby0099

Thumbs up Re: Project Farm Fresh: 1967 C10 LWB <10k miles

One thing I'd like to add: as you may have noticed, my screen name is Shelby...i come from more of a Ford experience, having restored a '65 Mustang and modified a '92 Mustang. I'm not a Ford purist and I never got into the Ford vs Chevy battle, I never bashed anyone for wanting a Chevy when I was working on my Fords.

HOWEVER, I do have to say that I am very impressed with this C10 and very impressed with the choice of rear suspension and it highlights the differences between Ford and Chevy back in the 60s. I love my Mustang, but god damn, it NEVER had a panhard rod and rear coils. The Mustang had just a couple of leaf springs. This C10 rear suspension just kicks Mustang's ass. The quality of the C10 all around does seem to be higher than what Ford did with the Mustang. The Mustang, although I love it, does seem to have been lacking in several design areas and without fully getting into all the details of the C10 I just see how it is superior and I actually feel cheated by Ford...lol. I had to buy an aftermarket panhard rod for the Mustang, convert that single reservoir master cylinder to dual, the fuel fittings were clumsy...etc. On this C10 all the components just look like higher quality and more sophisticated design....and this is a Truck. I wouldn't expect that on a just a truck. Toughness yes, but sophistication no.

I'm really looking forward to digging in to this and perhaps that's why I'm leaning towards keeping it stock; I don't really see a need to upgrade, it was built so well at the factory. I'm proud to work on this and it makes me fond to say the word Chevrolet.
Old 04-17-2016, 12:44 AM   #6
Shelby0099

Taking a closer inspection on needed metalwork for the frame and suspension (I already knew the cab metal work will be extensive). I'm going to need to remove more rivets than I had hoped and I'm probably going to need to purchase the plasma cutter as well. There are many areas that will be difficult and instead of trying to unbolt things, I'm probably going to cut them out. I removed the rear bumper brackets and most of those fasteners were just too far gone to cooperate with the normal methods.

Since, I'll be cutting up the frame I'm gonna get more tempted to do something more custom than a simple restore. I don't know yet whether I want to do a 4-5in drop or a 4-5in lift on the suspension.

I was going to try to re-build the trailing arms, but after that last pic of one of the arms with the big hole in the side...I'll just get new ones. I have plenty of other things to fix...lol.
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2016, 12:58 AM   #7
Shelby0099

Here are some more pictures. I'm holding the spring retainer that was previously laying on the trailing arm...lol. Notice the separation in the trailing arm....I don't remember these having extra material in between them so that could be just rot that dropped into the separation.

Is that extra plate near the spring bracket in the last picture there for extra support or something else entirely?
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2016, 06:44 AM   #8
cleanfreak

I believe that last pic is just a brace. I have had to remove them on a couple of trucks that I've been into lately , sandblast all the pieces separately , and use grade 8 fasteners to bolt it all back together after repairing & painting both sides to help it not rust again. Have not seen any issues with this

The guys on the board must think we're nuts in the rust belt , that truck you have isn't all that bad for up here!
cleanfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:40 AM   #9
Shelby0099

Yeah I've never seen those braces before on other trucks in here, glad someone else ran into them too. They are just extra rivets for me to remove now...ugh. Yeah anyone outside the rustbelt must be shaking their heads.

I shake my head when I watch RoadKill and see how Freiburger finds something great to work on and their like ..."well all we gotta do is replace this and that" and bingo they're back on the road. We've got miles of rust to deal with before even contemplating what components simply need replacing.

Ah but it's all worth it.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:08 PM   #10
396C-10

What do you intend to do with your rear end? I am working on the same thing and unsure what to do with the back side. Leave it alone or change it out for a chevelle or nova rear end. I am not doing any tear down or paint. I like it old and dull. LOL!
Attached Images

396C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:52 PM   #11
Shelby0099

That's a beautiful truck you got there. That's very much what I'm trying to build, old and dull...lol. Love the blue paint you got there, if my bed wasn't a different color than the front end and had the same patina going on...i'd have left it. Did you do that paint? It's got just the right fade.

For my rear, the truck has less than 10k mi, so I was just going to clean up and paint the rear, check the bearings, new fluid and just see how she feels. It is a Posi and I want to keep the 283 stock so I don't see the need to put a different rear in it...just open up the exhaust a little.

If I don't like the 283 after driving it, then I might take the LS that's in my Silverado and drop the drivetrain into the '67...but those are big ifs. I'd love to enjoy this truck as a time-machine and respect the original equipment as much as possible. The focus is more on the suspension and fixing the body rot...and trying to make it look dull and old...lol...maybe just a little semi-shiny but the point is to make it look like the truck is 5-10 yrs old.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:22 AM   #12
396C-10

Mine has the original paint. It sat in the field for several years, and I have been sitting on the 396 just as long so I thought I would do something with them and get it going. Its good you took the bed off so you can get to the problem areas. You will save a lot of money on paint if you left it odd colors. That is the popular thing now. Just leave it odd, old and mis-matched. It shows character too. You are going to have a spectacular truck regardless. The main thing is having it run good and road worthy. A little work, but everyone will love it as it is.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:28 AM   #13
396C-10

They must use road salt in New Jersey. It looks like it has seen some. For having only 10k miles on it, which is rare and unique, it needs plenty of TLC. Might consider finding an entire frame to start with. They are out there, just find a doner truck with a good frame under it.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:28 PM   #14
Shelby0099

Ok, so after much time away...im here to say that not much has gotten done...lol. Life gets in the way, another project got dumped in my lap so I had to put the '67 C10 on the backburner. I have been getting my workspace a bit better organized so when I actually do dig in I'll be more efficient.

And what I will need to dig into is a lot of metal repair, i've adde some pics:

I really want to repair everything, but I am contemplating the need for replacement parts because of the time involved. Seems like every panel needs some detailed work. That is what I wanted, but the time does cross my mind. I guess I'll just dig in when I can and go one piece at a time.

I absolutely love some of this patina, it's such a shame to have to fix the rotted areas...i'll have to figure out some ways of blending the patina with new paint. Anyone have blending techniques or are they all just general 'man-made' patina techniques?
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2016, 12:14 AM   #15
396C-10

I have never seen a "good job" done with distressing a paint job. Every one I have ever seen looks like it was man made. There are techniques and tricks, but i am afraid it will always be noticeable unless youre really good at it.
I would use a shaker can and spray dry, from a long distance or from above and let the paint just fall on the area to be painted. It doesn't hurt to leave it alone. The rust holes, dents and scratches show character, and each spot has a story to tell.
I am leaving mine alone. I will take mine off the frame, make the frame and drive train perfect, shiny and new, and put the faded rusty body back on it.....
Old 09-21-2016, 12:17 AM   #16
396C-10

If you left the paint and imperfections alone and put brand new lights, chrome moldings, window rubber and trim.... Wow! What a look that would be!!!!
Old 09-21-2016, 11:42 AM   #17
Shelby0099

I do agree with you, brand new innards and a really distressed look outside is definitely awesome. It's a challenge to get that artistic look just right. I just think a different color between box and cab just doesn't look right. That's what my truck is right now, spots of brilliant patina and things that just don't look right.

I agree it's very difficult, that's why I have such a dilemma. I need to fix the rot. The beautiful patina is only on a small portion of the entire truck. Even if I were to preserve it, it would be a miracle to get the rear of the truck to match.

There are so many directions, it's taken a long time to figure out how to proceed. I need to fix the radiator support rot and get a new radiator. After looking at pictures again with all the pieces on the truck, it may make more sense to just fix the rear suspension, and figure out how low i'd want to go with the drop. Make that look good first, spring, wheel and tire combo and then attack the rocker arm and door patches and then deal with patina.

I prefer the distressed paint look more than a rust look. If I can experiment with some Rustoleum, and match the color then maybe I can try to match the patina in the front. My idea of patina might be different than someone else's I guess.
In any case, it's best to attempt this in layers and not be reckless, and if it's just not working then I'll paint the entire truck and try the distressed process from that point. At least it would be consistent front and rear.

That's a good approach, spray bomb from far away....

Looking at the fenders again, maybe I shouldn't touch them. Before I do anything to them I should try to match that look in other areas, it's worth a shot, they are so beautiful the way they are.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:59 AM   #18
396C-10

It is your truck and it should reflect your personality. Work on getting it safe to drive and going straight first, then enjoy the hell out of it as you tinker with ascetic ideas. By looking at that frame, you got a lot to do my friend.
Mine needs DD U-joint in the steering (new tilt column), plumb brake lines away from headers, drive shaft installed and exhaust.... I have never driven my truck yet, and I know how it feels to stand there and look at it like it is Frankenstein. Eventually, it will come ALIVE.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:03 AM   #19
396C-10

I found $500.00 worth of stereo equipment under my seat that I did not even know was there! LOL!
I found a 600 watt amp, 2 Explode 12" Bass speakers and nice boxes, the face plate and remote to a head unit in a little plastic case and a $20 bill..... That makes for a good day!
Old 09-23-2016, 03:08 AM   #20
396C-10

I had to do a sheriffs title on my truck because the owner abandoned it on my property years ago and left it sit in my field. Engine was in it, brand new 396ci not bolted in or anything, just sitting in the space. After I got the sheriffs title, I went ahead and bought what I needed to mate the engine and T-400 up and get this thing back on the road.... Just a few loose ends yet!
Old 09-23-2016, 03:11 AM   #21
396C-10

Name:  IMG_20160910_135420.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  41.3 KB

Name:  IMG_20160910_135304.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  43.3 KB
Old 09-23-2016, 03:16 AM   #22
396C-10

Name:  IMG_20160808_140557.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  90.4 KB

Name:  IMG_20160808_140612.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  92.7 KB

I gave it a 1956 Cadillac intake air filter breather. I like the bat wing look and it actually fit under the hood!
Old 09-23-2016, 04:04 PM   #23
Shelby0099

Holy Schnikes! Your truck is astounding!

I wish I had such random folk leaving a cherry C10 and a '600 watt amp, 2 Explode 12" Bass speakers and nice boxes, the face plate and remote to a head unit in a little plastic case and a $20 bill'... in my backyard! Hell, all I ever found in my yard was maybe a couple flattened cans of budweiser.

Yes, I have a lot of work to do, but I really enjoy bringing things back to good use. The NorthEast sucks, but I got the truck pretty cheap (not as cheap as yours though lol)....and when I found it had less than 10k miles on the whole thing, little 283 that still ran...I had to say yes.

So, the 396 was all brand new when it was sitting there? That is really beautiful, what other plans do you have for it?
Old 09-25-2016, 12:14 PM   #24
NewType72

wow what a nice random finding hahaha

- Dylan
(209)-985-7721
NewType72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 01:01 PM   #25
396C-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby0099 View Post
Holy Schnikes! Your truck is astounding!

I wish I had such random folk leaving a cherry C10 and a '600 watt amp, 2 Explode 12" Bass speakers and nice boxes, the face plate and remote to a head unit in a little plastic case and a $20 bill'... in my backyard! Hell, all I ever found in my yard was maybe a couple flattened cans of budweiser.

Yes, I have a lot of work to do, but I really enjoy bringing things back to good use. The NorthEast sucks, but I got the truck pretty cheap (not as cheap as yours though lol)....and when I found it had less than 10k miles on the whole thing, little 283 that still ran...I had to say yes.

So, the 396 was all brand new when it was sitting there? That is really beautiful, what other plans do you have for it?
This is how the engine looked before I cleaned it up and got it going.... Yes, it was built and sitting in the engine bay when I got it......
Attached Images