The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-15-2017, 10:23 AM   #26
abig84

Re: Can we ever see "minimalist" trucks in the future?

i wonder if you can even get vinyl floor in work trucks and vans anymore, i would hope so.

i remember buying my 04 ranger new. i was pretty much able to get that thing with no options, stick shift, no a/c etc. but like a week after i had it going through a drivethru i dropped a entire cup of fruit punch on the floor. nothing a little bit of water and a towel didnt fix.

but i think we are the small majority. im sure 99% of the people with 4x4s dont take them offroad mostly people just buy them because of the winter out here. i currently have a 2wd truck and a old k30 on 33s. havent needed the 4x4 the last few winters around here as its been pretty mile, just a few sand bags in the 2wd

at my job i drive the latest and greatest suvs and cars occasionally, and i must be weird cause im really not impressed by anything on them. i always feel my 27 year old truck drives just as nice as anything new, and i dont have to worry about door dings
abig84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 05:41 AM   #27
In The Ten Ring

I am not so crazy about AWD or 4WD. I have never owned one and with tire chains, my Honda Accord can and has gone places a big 4x4 truck cannot go. *I know because I was passing them at that moment, once I drove through a deep ditch going around a 4x4 truck that could not cope with an icy hill.

My 1972, when "done" will have that rubber floor, manual shift, crank windows, no AC, and just power assisted steering and brakes. I am thinking about having the seat redone again (dad had it redone in 1990) and go back to pure vinyl.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:52 AM   #28
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

They are definitely not common, but you can still find them. Normally through fleet areas of dealerships. L really like my 02 and 07 Silverado Work Trucks. Maybe not as bare as my 64 and 70 was off the lot, but pretty darn bare. Pwr steer & brakes, AC, rubber mats, manual windows, and automatic in my case. Hope I never need another one, as they do seem harder to find in the used market.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:56 PM   #29
CG
BlahBlahBlah

There is a body shop behind us that gets a ton of deliveries. I was talking to one of the guys today. He was in a pretty new white truck. I looked inside. Hand crank windows, vinyl floor mats. He said they have brand new vans built the same way. Dunno if average Joe can get a fleet vehicle though.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:54 PM   #30
WyattTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
There is a body shop behind us that gets a ton of deliveries. I was talking to one of the guys today. He was in a pretty new white truck. I looked inside. Hand crank windows, vinyl floor mats. He said they have brand new vans built the same way. Dunno if average Joe can get a fleet vehicle though.
I guess there is not enough market potential for manufacturers to sell fleet trucks, outside of a fleet. It is shame for the few that want them.
WyattTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:24 AM   #31
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Cost for the manufacturer.

It's significantly cheaper to only offer one option of the same thing than multiples. It costs more to design and manufacture a door that will accept both crank and power windows, and to design and build the crank system. Less choice = more profit.

This is actually one of the reason's I'm shocked GM split the full size trucks/SUV's in 2007. They share almost nothing other than the drive train anymore.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:05 PM   #32
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

The closest I've seen to basic is a 3/4 or 1 ton work truck and they still have a lot of computer stuff, but I have seen them with rollup windows and rubber mats. Every time I've bought a truck they've tried to sell me on 4X4. I have lived in towns of 1200 people and in big cities,I've lived on the prairie and in the hills. I have never once needed to put a truck into 4X4 to get anywhere I needed to go, even when I worked on a ranch (I had a 2WD then also. I don't get the 4X4 thing except as a toy or a true winter work truck for rough country (where stock has to be fed and ice broken so they can get to water. The people that buy them pay more for the vehicle, more for fuel (lower mileage), more for ins. and then at trade in are basically paid very little to compensate for the extra money put into it. I even knew one guy who I doubt ever 4 wheeled his and the dealer paid less because "It's a 4X so it's likely ben abused" (idiot got taken by the dealer).
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:48 PM   #33
WyattTX

In my parts, rednecks find mudholes, and destroy trucks for fun. I do not get it. I wish I could go without 4wd sometimes, but I always end up dropping a hay bale in the boggiest nastiest environment, that only gets worse when the cattle tear it up worse. I do not understand people that jump on the urban cowboy bandwagon, and get a 4x4 to babyfy, and never take off the road. Nor do I understand why rednecks like "muddin" so much. I enjoy a good trail ride, or work truck, but I hate garage queen, and mud toy 4x4s. Got my rant in for today.....
Old 04-22-2017, 10:19 AM   #34
Coley

The use of all these options probably varies in a fairly interesting way from region to region.
Up here in Canada...air conditioning is something we use only on occasion and not much...usually only a 'high summer' thing and that is sometimes only in certain areas.
We happen to live in a fairly mild climate on south Vancouver Island...similar to Seattles, so snow is not a big thing here...and thus 4wd is not a huge necessity...but posi is nice.
A few redundant options in my book are power adjustable mirrors, cruise control and leather seats...which I've never liked despite the fact that my truck (2005 Silverado) has them.
I found power door locks more useful in a truck than power windows due to the width of the vehicle.

I'm sure in the south that a/c is a must....4wd?...I guess it depends where you live and what you do for a living and recreating.

Regardless...and as was said earlier it is easier and cheaper to roll all the options in to every vehicle...upcharge slightly for that but more importantly standardize on that and then mass produce it.
This is cheaper for a company in the long run than having people pick and choose options and colours, etc

Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500

Last edited by Coley; 04-22-2017 at 10:24 AM.
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:35 AM   #35
WyattTX

Coley, you are right, down here we will spend more than vehicle is worth to get the AC fixed. If you spent one June day, or heck even most December days down south, you would understand the priceless value of AC.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:35 AM   #36
special-K
Special Order

They do make minimalist trucks and I would think they always will. In fact, once trucks became the new car for so many, which is why trucks became plush, they came out with a specific W/T series to provide a bare bones no frills trucks to businesses...or anyone who doesn't care for a whole lot of frills.

What is happening is we are redefining "minimal" year by year. What people perceive as needed, thanks to marketing strategies and keeping up with the Jones', has turned into a whole lot of crap we actually don't need at all.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:16 AM   #37
GR8-68

Who uses all the frills on their new ride ? Heck half the time we don't even know options exist for years, "oh wow I didn't know it had this feature"

It is easily overlooked that what is now called vintage was once brand new.

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
GR8-68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:19 AM   #38
GR8-68

I have had a few totally shocked to find out I wasn't going to have heat or air in my 68. My air is roll down the window, swing the vent window open and listen to those pipes !!!

It is easily overlooked that what is now called vintage was once brand new.

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
GR8-68 is offline   Reply With Quote