The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-12-2018, 12:11 AM   #26
stevenfromtexas

Re: spark plug help!!!

thank you thank you and.....thank you!!!!
stevenfromtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 12:19 AM   #27
'68OrangeSunshine

The Densos I use are a copper electrode type. The advantage over your 'triple-sparker', platinum, iridium, depleted plutonium [whatever] plugs is that you can't touch them up with an ignition file like you can with copper plugs. The fancy plugs will lose their fancy plating, and who knows what the base metal is?
This is vintage technology. Stay within the vintage parameters.

Also don't leave the ignition key on long w/o running with the Ignitor I. It will burn out. Ignitor II's solved this gripe. [But mine burned out after 7 years in the AZ desert.]

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 02-12-2018 at 12:57 AM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 12:27 AM   #28
stevenfromtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
The Densos I use are a copper electrode type. The advantage over your 'triple-sparker', platinum, iridium, depleted plutonium [whatever] plugs is that you can't touch them up with an ignition file like you can with copper plugs. The fancy plugs will lose their fancy plating, and who knows what the base metal is?
This is vintage technology. Stay within the vintage parameters.

Also don't leave the ignitionj key on log w/o running with the Ignitor I. It will burn out. Ignitor II's solved this gripe. [But mine burned out after 7 years in the AZ desert.]

sounds good. there are a handful of "final" things that are on my list once i get it painted. everything you guys are mentioning will definitely be at the top of the list

thank you again!!
Old 02-12-2018, 02:48 PM   #29
RichardJ

I see you don't have all the AC hoses connected yet. Did you consider mounting the compressor on the pass side of the head so that you could install power steering?

Of all the things I have done to my truck, PS, AC and taller rear gears have provided the most significant, night/day improvement to the truck.
Those three things make huge difference in how much you will enjoy the drive, what you smell like when you get there and how long it takes to get there. Wrestling a manual steering truck with a wagon wheel size steering wheel into a parking spot is no fun.

Did you see or consider the AC bracket Vintage Air sells? I made my own bracket, but it is very similar to the one they sell. They say theirs will only fit above the stock distributor, which is fine for your Pertronix.
Mine will not fit with a regular HEI distributor either, but does fit with the six cyl, external coil HEI.

GM started using the HEI in '75 with the recommendation of .065" plug gap. By '80 they were recommending .045" and by the late '80s, most applications called for .035" gaps.

With an HEI, I use .035" , get 15 mpg hwy, drive 75 mph all day in a cold cab, and don't know what color the AC plugs are because I haven't looked at them in a couple of years.

Be sure and use a parallel flow condenser.

I'd get rid of the long fan extension. Without a shroud, the extension will not increase air flow. The only thing I would expect from the extension is possibly greater wear on the water pump bearings.
I am also using the original 4-blade fan with an electric pusher fan in front of condenser. No heat problems under any conditions.

A PCV system must have a means for clean, fresh air to enter the crankcase and an exit for some blow-by during WOT. Most of the original valve covers have a side hole for hose to the air cleaner, but at minimum, a breather fill cap will work. Generally a much larger air cleaner will provide far more air flow and with considerably longer replacement or cleaning intervals.
Attached Images

Last edited by RichardJ; 02-12-2018 at 02:57 PM.
RichardJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 03:32 PM   #30
stevenfromtexas

thank you so much for the info!!!

yes sir, i did consider the passenger side compressor but did not want to spend the money they were asking for it. i haven't crimped the other side of the hoses yet. still contiplating if i am sold on the current placement of the compressor. obviously ill have to move it when i do PS.....whenever that will be

power steering is definitely in the future.

thank you again for the gap info as well as the breather (oil and air).