The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-12-2018, 03:24 PM   #1
Richard2112

Twist lock to pigtail

Does anyone know if there are pigtail type instrument lights to replace the twist lock. I am considering hard-wiring my instrument bezel, lights and gauges with a plug-in harness. Not keen on modifying the holes that the twist lock lights go into so I'd much rather find a replacement that fits but uses pigtails instead of the plastic with copper traces. Hope that made sense. I've looked but maybe I just don't know the proper search terms to use.
Richard2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:55 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Twist lock to pigtail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard2112 View Post
Does anyone know if there are pigtail type instrument lights to replace the twist lock. I am considering hard-wiring my instrument bezel, lights and gauges with a plug-in harness. Not keen on modifying the holes that the twist lock lights go into so I'd much rather find a replacement that fits but uses pigtails instead of the plastic with copper traces. Hope that made sense. I've looked but maybe I just don't know the proper search terms to use.

Not saying there isn't, but I have never seen anything like that. I suppose the twist in's could be modified.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:08 PM   #3
Shinysideup

I made my own harness and used this style, push right in, no changes. Its what was used on older 50's-60's cars. It uses a bayonet bulb. I also didnt want to use the printed circuit because of mods done.
. [_____(O)_|_'|__}>-------[-_(O)__i'___i (O)-]

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 P.O.S. View Post
No thank you on that lifetime warranty. I don't want a turd for life.
Shinysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:04 PM   #4
bill3rail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard2112 View Post
There are plenty of different multi-wire connectors out there for use in industrial equipment.

How many wires are there in our dash board clusters? 16, 18 maybe?

Amphenol comes to mind. Here is a sample.

Bill
Old 02-12-2018, 11:51 PM   #5
68c10airstream

If i understand you correctly, you are looking for a replacement twist lock socket that has "2" pigtail leads so you can wire each one as you wish! If so i know there is a side marker light replacement socket with a pair of leads and the socket is a molded hard plastic. I used a few of these for a cluster mod so i could make a 'CRIUSE" light come on when engaged. One lead went to 12 volts "+" and the ground was supplied from the cruise box
when engaged. It twisted into the cluster tin surround, but the hard plastic socket was not affected by the tin surround.
Looked and found where i posted the info, under "electric speedo" search quere, the first search result look at page 13, post 321, i posted a STARDARD MOTOR PRODUCT "HP 4060" hp= handy pack, and the 4060 is a molded rubber/plastic 4 lug twist socket with 2 leads. The only thing you will need to do is take an exacto knife and trim/remove 2 of the 4 lugs. works great, no issues.

Last edited by 68c10airstream; 02-13-2018 at 12:07 AM.
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:59 PM   #6
Richard2112

Thank you for all the replies. I've been having a very difficult time trying to find what I'm looking for so I suppose they aren't common or don't exist. I will look at modifying the four lug type as suggested. Thanks again
Old 02-15-2018, 09:36 PM   #7
firedemon

try marker light bulb sockets lots of them are 2 wire holders and use a peanut bulb
firedemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:41 AM   #8
Richard2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill3rail View Post
There are plenty of different multi-wire connectors out there for use in industrial equipment.

How many wires are there in our dash board clusters? 16, 18 maybe?

Amphenol comes to mind. Here is a sample.

Bill
That's a good idea for the harness, one that hadn't occurred to me. Thanks
Old 02-16-2018, 11:44 AM   #9
Richard2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68c10airstream View Post
If i understand you correctly, you are looking for a replacement twist lock socket that has "2" pigtail leads so you can wire each one as you wish! If so i know there is a side marker light replacement socket with a pair of leads and the socket is a molded hard plastic. I used a few of these for a cluster mod so i could make a 'CRIUSE" light come on when engaged. One lead went to 12 volts "+" and the ground was supplied from the cruise box
when engaged. It twisted into the cluster tin surround, but the hard plastic socket was not affected by the tin surround.
Looked and found where i posted the info, under "electric speedo" search quere, the first search result look at page 13, post 321, i posted a STARDARD MOTOR PRODUCT "HP 4060" hp= handy pack, and the 4060 is a molded rubber/plastic 4 lug twist socket with 2 leads. The only thing you will need to do is take an exacto knife and trim/remove 2 of the 4 lugs. works great, no issues.
I have a bunch of the 4 lug laying around. I'll try cutting them and see how it goes. Thanks