The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-14-2019, 09:12 AM   #1
72Mountaineer

Mega Fuse

Anyone using these in their build? I think I'm going to add a couple in my '53 build, one for the starter/alternator and one for the main fusebox. One would be located on the framerail and one under the dash. They are readily available on Silverados/GM trucks at the pick n pull.
72Mountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:42 AM   #2
svr

Re: Mega Fuse

Used 2 on my '57, 1 for main wire harness and 1 for alt. Made a bracket to mount by the starter on my 235 and mounted them next to each other.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:09 PM   #3
1project2many

I would not recommend using a fuse for the starter. Brush style motors draw a very high amount of current when power is first applied to them (called inrush current). Over time this brief high current draw will heat and cool the fuse and it can eventually cause the fuse to blow. If you want protection for the starter, maybe a circuit breaker is better?
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 01:51 AM   #4
dsraven

fuse the starter wire that turns on the starter, yes, but fuse it at the switch end to protect the circuit from there forward. no fuse is normally used in the battery feed cable to the starter because of the current draw the starter normally uses. I have seen starters draw 4-600 amps on initial start up before they settle down and draw less, so that would be a big fuse to handle that much current. the biggest thing is to know the amp draw on the circuit and then use the proper gauge cable for the amp draw and also ensure the terminals are clean and crimped properly to the cable. a poor connection will cause heat which will cause other issues. also use a same gauge ground cable from the battery to the engine block and frame. the current goes through the positive and the negative cable so they should both be the same size. the smaller cable would become the weak link otherwise.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote