The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-15-2018, 12:40 PM   #1
Oregoon
Roadside Rebuilder

Help! I've really done it this time!

To make a very long story short, my starter sounded like it loosened up the other day. It's happened before. Like all inline 6s, things seem to want to wiggle off my motor. Better fix that when I get home, I thought, as I left the beach. Luckily, I had no stops to make, and 100 miles to drive. Unfortunately, I had to stop for emergency purposes (traffic accident and highway closure) up in the mountains, and of course, I was pointed uphill. Andwhen I turned the truck over again the starter sheared completely off the side of the engine. Luckily, it started and I got home with it zip-tied to my motor mount.

Naturally, both bolts broke at the threads, which are recessed in the block by a 1/4 inch. I went after the hardened starter bolts with a drill, put an easy out in there, and of course it snapped off too. Due to the bolt being recessed, I don't see how I can weld another bolt to it. I know all the various tricks to get a stuck bolt out. Heat, PB Blaster, diesel, canning wax, denatured alcohol and ATF, the list goes on and on. Unfortunately I can't get any purchase on the bolt, and for the life of me I have no idea how to find anything that can drill into a broken easy out.

I am open to ideas. I have two sheared off starter bolts to get out of my block, and they are both recessed by the aforementioned quarter-inch. And one has an easy out snapped off in it.

If anybody has any ideas, I am open to them. Obviously I don't want to mangle the starter threads, and I do need the truck to run. It only has 111k miles on it. The motor is in excellent condition, and I trust it basically anywhere.

I really don't want to have to pull the engine, and send it to a machine shop. But this is increasingly looking like what might happen.

Ideas?! Thoughts?! Magic bullets?

Thanks in advance.
Oregoon is offline   Reply With Quote