The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-10-2010, 11:06 PM   #26
MikeM

Re: $900

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs View Post
there should be enough travel for the converter to bolt up with out the spacers
also make sure you have the converter locked in right by spinning it or you could f-up the trans real quick
so if I slide the converter forward to make up that 3/4", will it still be far enough into the tranny? Im gonna be working on that tomorrow, along with shortening my driveshaft by an inch.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:55 PM   #27
MikeM

When I put the 700r4 in back in August, i couldnt get it to work. No action from the output shaft so I took a cooler line off and nothing was coming out of it. Took it back out and found that I crushed the pump and got the converter wedged on the shaft somehow. I did tons of reading on the various changes to the 700 over the years and then hit junkyards looking for the correct pump assembly and TC for mine. I never found them. Then I went looking for a tranny guy who didnt say "It needs a full rebuild" without even opening it up. I finally found one who was a friend of a friend, had a good rep as an honest guy. He took it apart the minute i brought it to him and confirmed that it definitely didnt need a rebuild. He called his parts guy and ordered a pump and converter along with a few other things that i dont know what they do like corvette solenoids and fast sounding stuff like that. Then it took him 2 months to put it together. Yeaaaah. So 2 months later he finishes and gives me a real good tutorial on installing it. It went smoothly and the truck went down the driveway and back by itself.
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2011, 05:05 PM   #28
MikeM

On to the carburetor.. It ran ok in the summertime but now that its cold i had to hold the carb at 2/3 choke to keep it running. Even when the engine warmed up. There was no choke cable, so i decided this would be a good time to install one. $8 later its time for more work. At the carb end, half the bracket was there, i just had to make a clamp to hold the cable housing, simple enough. I used some 1/8 steel and bent it around 3 nails in a vice to give it the right shape. As ghetto as that sounds, it worked perfect the first time.

Then I searched the forum for pics of where the choke cable is supposed to go on the dash, and couldnt find any. One guy said it goes in the top right corner of the cluster area, but mine has a windshield wiper switch there. I gave up, and drilled a hole in a piece of aluminum thats gonna serve as my temporary bezel until i decide where to make a nice one.
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2011, 05:13 PM   #29
MikeM

While on the carburetor, I find that the TV cable from the tranny doesnt get enough tension to set itself correctly, and the throttle cable has almost an inch of slack in it at rest. They both hook up to the same bracket of course so this ones a no-brainer. So I welded on a new tab where it bolts to the manifold and drilled new holes 7/8" away from the old ones. That worked perfect. The TV cable pulled the housing out about a half inch, right where it should be and the slack on the throttle cable is next to nothing now.

I cant find my pics of it, but its just an ugly little bracket anyway
Old 01-04-2011, 05:20 PM   #30
MikeM

That brings me up to today. Plan was to set the idle mixture so it would run without the choke. It started right up with my fancy new choke cable, ran for about 2 minutes, then died, before i even got to touch the mixture screws or anything. And now I cant get it started again. It runs if I spray ether in there so its gotta be fuel related but I dont know what yet and my kids are home now so I cant work on it any more today.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:33 PM   #31
MikeM

Seats

When I got the truck it had 2 pleather bucket seats sitting in the cab. Not bolted in, just sitting there. I dont know what theyre from, looks to be GM, but i dont know. The driver seat has power everything, except heat, but i didnt really like sitting in it, so they came out. In my backyard I have a 99 grand cherokee with ridiculous mileage and a bad tranny. I absolutely loved driving it, so i decided to use the seats from it. Then I got this idea - I have 2 little kids so it would be nice to be able to seat 3 in the chevy. What if I took the rear 60% bench seat from the jeep and used that for the passenger side of the chevy...
I mocked up the seats on blocks of wood and I really like the way it looks, so i think im gonna go this direction in there. Theres an 8" gap between the seats where I can put a glove compartment, an ammo box glove compartment, or a small subwoofer unit. I need to decide so I can start building the frame for the seats
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2011, 06:19 PM   #32
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

cool updates!

+2 for 'tuffstuff'

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:43 PM   #33
67chevylongbed

Cool, glad to hear the tranny is working. I love the seats in my moms Grand Cherokee too, I've thought about putting some in mine. Curious to see how yours turn out.

1967 C10 LWB SOLD....

1995 Ford F-250 4x4 Powerstroke, 342k

"Each generation goes further than the generation preceding it because it stands on the shoulders of that generation. You will have opportunities beyond anything we've ever known."
-Ronald Reagan
67chevylongbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:22 PM   #34
cable666guy

cool idea on the seats...glad to hear the tranny finally worked out...
cable666guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:12 AM   #35
Stubbs67

You should see if your transmission friend will check your line pressures. My dad had a 700r4 in his camero, and set it JUST like monster transmissions said, no bueno, it wasn't holding enough pressure and waxed the frictions and steels in a week. Its good insurance.
My Build Thread!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=433751

Need step tail gate and bed front, driver door, both front fenders (both are bondo'd nightmares). can trade fleetside bed parts real straight (except sides) or pay some cash (i am pretty broke)
Stubbs67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:13 AM   #36
RCbowtie69

Keep up the hard work & Keep on Truckin"
RCbowtie69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:00 PM   #37
MikeM

Made some drivers seat brackets out of 1/8 today. The left mounts will be using some stock mounting holes, the right side will have support brackets underneath the cab.
Attached Images

Old 01-31-2011, 04:58 PM   #38
MikeM

Today I finally got it registered, so now I legally own it. I got my drivers seat mounting finished, but no pics since it looks just like the one a few posts up.