The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-20-2014, 12:16 PM   #1
carbon69

is this normal?

Hello everyone,

Just lookng for opinions. I've got a 68 k10 that I'm swapping a dana 60 into. I'm also installing some tuff country 6" lift springs. One thing i noticed was that the castor is different side to side. 7 degrees positive on the passenger,and almost 10 degrees positive on the drivers side. I did notice that the one of the lift spings was slightly shorter when placed side by side. Could this be causing this? The dana 60 is out of a 86' military chevy truck.

Thanks

Shane
carbon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 02:51 PM   #2
ryanroo

Re: is this normal?

i wouldnt say its normal, but it doesnt surprise me. that is a lot of caster for a kingpin 60. it would not suprise me if it feels a little odd driving and might even have some death wobble. i would do whatever you need to do in order to get the average side to side somewhere in the 3-6* range. if it is close to 3 on the low side and close to 6 on the other it should drive pretty well.

i would guess it was just a crappy job on the assemblers part in the spicer production line. not something i would get real sketched about though as long as you get the average of the two sides in the Goldilocks range.

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 04:36 PM   #3
carbon69

Unhappy Re: is this normal?

These are measurements i pulled with the frame leveled out on stands, no cab or Sheet metal
on the truck. The front is sitting on the suspension(axle on jackstands. ) I have the motor, transmission and case installed for weight. I'm installing a sky manufacturing 4.5 perch drop( everything just tacked in place, and 6" lift springs. I plan to run 40's. I need mock up the front so i can measure for some rear alcan sprngs, and i already have a 4" flip four the test of the lift.

Do you think when add the cab, sheet metal fenders hood the leaf springs will flatten out and castor will get better in 3 to 7 range? I can move the spring hanger and front shackle brackets around but right now they have my axle centered for the wheel well. The shackle angle looks good too, about 10 degrees kicked back perhaps even a little bit more with added weight.

With 40's Do i still want to see 3 to 7 degrees, I've heard less with big meats. I guess it looks like I'll need shims right???
Old 04-20-2014, 11:22 PM   #4
carbon69

Well i loosened up the nuts for the u bolts, jumped around on the frame a bit, and then took a floor Jack and put a bit of pressure on the pinion to tilt it up. I then snagged up the bolts and took off the pressure, jumped a bit more and remeasured. 8+ on the driver, and 7.5+ on the passenger. Not sure how that will handle with 40's....
Old 04-27-2014, 11:25 PM   #5
carbon69

Update:

Resolved the rest of my issues. Removed my leaf springs and had a local shop flatten out the springs so they matched. Reinstalled and the castor is now the same side to side as well as the shackle angle. Going to shim and aim for 5 degrees positive.