The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-02-2011, 02:19 PM   #1
dr_hefley

Project-71gmc

Not a very impressive title, but accurate. This was my Granddad's pickup. I mentioned one day about 25 years ago that I really liked this style at a family reunion. Flash forward, Granddad died and about a year later his step-daughters sent me a letter. It said if I wanted his pickup, I could come and get it as the transmission was toast and they were going to haul it to the junkyard. Needless to say, it's mine now and in various states of disrepair.

It's got a big block 402 with factory air conditioning. He wanted something big enough to pull his boat with and I think he got it. I had the tranny rebuilt and drove it a few years before I decided to fix the paint and rusted cab corners and fenders. It was at a body shop for a couple of years but they couldn't work it in, so this summer I decided to tackle it myself.

Needless to say it's got a long way to go. Everything but the hood and rear/top of cab is primed, I should get that finished by this weekend. I've got a guy in town lined out to paint it, hunter green on top and dark grey on the lower 2/3rds. I don't have a place to do it or I'd try it myself. I've been taking the body panels down to the metal and priming them in my backyard but I don't want to shoot topcoat back there.

I'm having some issues with the blazer tank I got to install behind the differential. It's got several nipples for vent lines and I can't find a filler neck with the right setup. Who's done this, and any advice for me?

Hope the pics post correctly.
dr_hefley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:51 PM   #2
dr_hefley

Re: Project-71gmc

Here it is now that I've finished priming the cab, doors and fenders. Time to finish up the final body work, reassemble, and paint.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:57 PM   #3
dr_hefley

And my successful Blazer fuel tank install. Still have to run the lines but I'm happy with the way the tank sits in the frame. It was kinda a pain in the butt to do as a one man job, but ratchet straps help. Gotta love the redneck fuel tank until I get the real lines run.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:35 PM   #4
MusicMan70

Very Nice! Congratulations...any old pics when she was in her prime with your Grandad?
Old 08-05-2011, 11:11 PM   #5
dr_hefley

I'm sure there are some tucked away in albums somewhere. I need to look into that, never thought about it before. Those pics would be cool to have.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:22 PM   #6
dr_hefley

Got the primed body panels back on. Got the stuff to plumb my fuel lines & filler but that'll be a project for next week. Still need to clean up the body work a little bit.

[IMG]http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...ket_89523_.jpg[/IMG
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-16-2012, 10:37 AM   #7
dr_hefley

Here's a couple of shots after paint. Working on trim, lights and weatherstripping. Then I get to tackle exhaust.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:06 AM   #8
Shorthair_Hunter

That paint job looks great!
Shorthair_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:31 PM   #9
dr_hefley

Thanks, a friend and I painted it in his garage. It's not a show truck by any means but it turned out a lot better than I anticipated.