The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-18-2018, 11:19 PM   #1
racin69z

Interface pad for 5" electric sander

I have read about using an interface pad for color sanding and for sand scratch refinement on poly primer prior to using 2k urethane primer. I am interested in getting one. My DA is an air hog and i dont have a big compressor. I have a 5" ryobi 8 hole electric random orbital sander that i was thinking about using.*

Would a 6" pad (mirka 1066) work on a 5" sander?

thanks
Lynn
racin69z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 08:26 AM   #2
Foot Stomper

Re: Interface pad for 5" electric sander

Yes, you can use a 6" if you like.
What's "poly primer"?

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:20 AM   #3
racin69z

Thanks for the reply foot stomper. I was referring to polyester primer. I am using evercoat featherfill g2. I love it. I am not great at getting my metal work and filler work perfect, and the fill that the polyester primer gives with virtually no shrinkage is awesome.

Lynn
Old 04-19-2018, 11:06 AM   #4
Foot Stomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by racin69z View Post
Thanks for the reply foot stomper. I was referring to polyester primer. I am using evercoat featherfill g2. I love it. I am not great at getting my metal work and filler work perfect, and the fill that the polyester primer gives with virtually no shrinkage is awesome.

Lynn
Featherfill is nothing but liquified/sprayable body filler and has a purpose but should be avoided unless all other options have been eliminated. I would not give it a "primer" status in anyway. It is only a filler. You can paint a primer...you can't paint a filler - for an example of only one major difference.

Featherfill has zero rust prohibitive properties and should never be applied to bare metal. Any epoxy is the perfect coating for bare metal. Brand does NOT matter, just as long as it's epoxy primer.

I realize this is a little off topic regarding your interface pad, but thought I'd share some information that may save you some grief.

Cheers

Old 04-19-2018, 06:23 PM   #5
racin69z

I disagree with you foot stomper, i would call it a primer. It it perfectly acceptable to paint over poly primer as long as the sand scratches are refined. I choose not to because i like to wet sand which is not great with poly. I used epoxy primer over the bare metal so im good to go.

I do not think these products should be avoided. If anything I think they should be used more by hobbyist. Many hobbyist such as myself cannot get filler work to the necessary straightness that it needs to be for effective use of urethane primers. Then they slap on several layers of urethane primer which shrinks 6 months down the road. Polyester primers do not shrink near as bad as urethane primers. If you had bad luck with it you either used some a long time ago or just don't know how to use it because it's awesome stuff.

Lynn
Old 04-20-2018, 10:12 AM   #6
Foot Stomper

My apologies Lynn for ruffling feathers but I am only trying to help. My professional experience and 20 year career in the paint and body shop supplies business has afforded me the opportunity to be factory trained by BASF, Sikkens, Matrix and for a time was a manufacturer's technical representative for line of European fillers and finishing putties... and I'm not the only one either.

Some of us here on this forum are not just hobbyists and a lot of us are here to help in anyway we can by contributing our professional expertise. There are electricians, automotive technicians, painters, welders and many other professions that I hope will be able to help you with other challenges you may have. Hopefully, you will be able to contribute too.

Good luck with your project! We are here to help.