The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-02-2014, 12:31 PM   #1
t300

airline antifreeze?

So a month ago after a few days of -20 celcius, I tried to air up my c10 and the compressor wouldn't build more than 60psi or so of pressure. I ended up filling up a portable air tank from my shop compressor (heated shop) and filled the truck tank to 100psi using that, but still couldn't air up the bags. after sitting for half hour and driving the truck half a mile, then things 'kicked in' (aka thawed) and life was good. Truck air'd up and the compressor built pressure up as it should.

I do NOT have a filter on the setup (I should have and I will). I know they make airline antifreeze for big truck airbrakes, and google tells me this may work for me. Any experience with that here? Using vaair compressor with SS7 bags and the plastic paddle valves. I assume that the antifreeze wouldn't hurt the DOT 'plastic' airlines, but I'm wondering if there will be any negative effects on the paddle valves?

BTW, this morning it was -34c , and in the 40's with the windchill. C10 still starts like a champ. My newer F150, not so much!

thanks
Matt
t300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:31 PM   #2
Sammy

Re: airline antifreeze?

Interesting situation you have. Without any experience in that harsh of the weather conditions you are facing I wouldn't personally add a antifreeze unless I was 99.9% sure I was going to be safe. It wouldn't take much moisture to interfere with a compressor or cause a valve to freeze in your environment. Not even sure running air trap/filters would 100% solve your problem. But that and dedicated draining would be a good stab in the right direction. I would also consider investing in a heat gun with an extension cord or connection into your cig. lighter for peace of mind.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:08 PM   #3
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Common issue with air systems. Go to your parts store and ask for air brake antifreeze.
open the line that comes out of the compressor and pour in a measured cup in to the line, not the compressor, reconnect and cycle the bags 6 times or so.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:28 PM   #4
Bhelton

I run 2 big air compressors on my work trailer and the air line antifreeze is what we use when it's cold out. But when we run out and can't find it on the road rubbing alcohol works as well and it is a lot cheaper. But both work great
Bhelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:20 PM   #5
maxxxy

Dang that's cold!!!!! Would it be possible to install some sort of heater, similar to a block heater?

Max's bagged 81

81 rcsb bagged, 22s, build in progress
09 ext cab, 24" U2's, DD sub/amp
maxxxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:51 PM   #6
king-918

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxxy View Post
Dang that's cold!!!!! Would it be possible to install some sort of heater, similar to a block heater?
don't your airbags Freeze?

Oh yeah I'm really a Toyota guy, but had some stuff sitting around.

Oklahoma
king-918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:52 PM   #7
t300

Thanks guys. Just saw this today (email notification didn't work again). Its supposed to warm up a bit tomorrow (high of -12c!) so I'll see if I can add some airline antifreeze in.
t300 is offline   Reply With Quote