The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-04-2014, 04:47 PM   #1
84ScottsdaleMudding

84 chevy k10 4 inch suspension lift?

Hi I am new to the forum names Andrew I have a 84 Chevy Scottsdale k10 that I want to put a 4 inch suspension lift on. I am going to block the back but my question is can I block the front? If not why not what are the pros and cons? If I cant should i shackle it or put new leafs on it? thanks
84ScottsdaleMudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:28 PM   #2
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Re: 84 chevy k10 4 inch suspension lift?

NO....never put blocks in the front. There are safety concerns with that. The blocks increase the leverage against the springs. Since there are forces operating in several directions on the front end from the steering and brakes it is more likely that the blocks would move. This can cause a loss of steering control.
Also, blocks are almost always tapered, this taper would affect the caster angle, making the front end wander and not want to return to straight.

They are ok on the back, because it pretty much just follows the front around.....no steering pressure, less braking, etc. No more than 4" and never stack multiple blocks.
There are those who are against blocks in the rear too, but if you follow the guidelines above, it will be fine.

I would put new leaf springs on the front and be done with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:58 AM   #3
andrewmp6

Re: 84 chevy k10 4 inch suspension lift?

Yeah leafs the front the rear you could block,But if you have wore out stock springs it might not sit level.Another option is a shackle flip n switch it will raise the rear up about 4 inches http://diy4x.com/cart/index.php?rout...product_id=125
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote