The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: Year and Rivets
60 & Round 1 1.69%
60 & Rosettes 1 1.69%
61 & Round 2 3.39%
61 & Rosettes 1 1.69%
62 & Round 4 6.78%
62 & Rosettes 1 1.69%
63 & Round 4 6.78%
63 & Rosettes 4 6.78%
64 & Round 4 6.78%
64 & Rosettes 3 5.08%
65 & Round 14 23.73%
65 & Rosettes 11 18.64%
66 & Round 3 5.08%
66 & Rosettes 22 37.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-17-2015, 04:20 PM   #1
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

A Legal Discussion - Rosette Rivets

Do not discuss removing or replacing.
Buying or selling, or making.
I was thinking about the posts about the years they started using them. I checked.
My 65 has the Rosettes.
How about your 60-66 truck?
Legal concerns from another thread :

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEEVON View Post
When I bought my truck, somebody had replaced the original VIN tag rosette rivets with standard round ones. I can't say for sure whether or not they had replaced the cab for a collision repair or just removed the tag to paint. The cab appeared to be original. Everything on the truck was legit, it had the original frame, engine, transmission, SPID, and VIN tag. However due to it being an older vehicle and from another state, a highway patrolman was required to inspect it. He agreed on our opinion of the VIN rivets but could have easily impounded the truck as stolen. 15 years later, before transferring the title to another state and taking this risk again, I replaced the round rivets with rosette rivets for peace of mind.

Keep in mind that the sale and manufacturing of these is basically illegal. There was a EBAY seller a few years ago who was indicted on federal charges. Numerous threads on the subject have been closed. This forum cannot take on the liability. However with that said I think there are plenty of legitimate reasons that enthusiasts or restorers like ourselves would use them. But if you can avoid messing with the rivets you should in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceman1968 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
Very interesting; thanks for posting that, Bruce.

I probably also have seen over 10,000 rosette rivets as well. In fact, they used to count them out before the beginning of the shift and any that were not used were returned and locked up. There are similar safeguards around the VIN plates themselves (perhaps even more so).

Having said that I think this point is germaine: My '65 GTO, built in Pontiac Michigan in September of 1964, has round rivets. Original owner, unrestored car with born with paint, interior and driveline, which has not been out of my direct control since delivered. So - I'm pretty sure they are original.

I say that to reinforce that there must have been a "gradual" rollout when implementing the new rivets. We believe it occurred around Christmas time 1964 by study of Pontiac plant PMD vehicles. I would guess it was the same for the various plants producing Chevrolet nameplated vehicles.

K

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote