The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-31-2014, 05:27 AM   #1
oldno7

rare trucks

I stopped by an old friends house the other day and was checking out his original 59. His has fleet written on the firewall but its actually a stepside. Wasn't for sure what the fleet meant. So that got me thinking what were some of the rare features that were on some of these trucks I'm usually with the 67-72 guys and dont no much about the 50's trucks. I'm gonna try and gets pics this next weekend
Old 03-31-2014, 07:29 AM   #2
Keith Seymore

Re: rare trucks

It might mean that it was a "fleet" order, that is, one truck out of a batch of many.

Like Bell Telephone, or Grand Trunk Railroad (or the Royal Canadian Mounted Police) - organizations that order dozens or hundreds of trucks at a time for their use.

Was it an odd color or paint scheme? Often that is the case with fleet orders.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:25 AM   #3
oldno7

The truck is a medium greem, I think its the sherwood green color. Did the trucks all have dual headlights or singles i think i have seen both on these but not sure it doesn't hav the apatche badges. He had said something on the lines of only a few hundred made but i don't believe it im going to get the vin and decode it, and some pics to post i know you guys on here are very knowledgable and will know right away if its odd, and or rare. Like i said i dont no much about these years so we will c
Old 03-31-2014, 11:39 AM   #4
Mac the Yankee

It depends- all 59 Chevrolet pickups had dual headlights, but some GMC had single.
Mac the Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:55 AM   #5
mr48chev

I'd have to believe that Keith nailed it with the fleet order concept. It was probably ordered for some company's fleet with a certain color and certain options or lack of options. The "rarity" would be that the outfit that ordered it was the only one ordering those trucks optioned out that way with certain things on it.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:52 PM   #6
_Ogre

gmc had this fleet option that had a basic stamped grill and one headlight
it was a very basic stripped down truck, not sure if chevrolet had the fleet option

as for rare? 59 chevy introduced ac in trucks, i've never seen a factory ac 59 truck

but if you look on craigslist, most old truck listings say rare some wheres in the sales listing
it usually bumps the price up $2k

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:27 PM   #7
58CameoAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
gmc had this fleet option that had a basic stamped grill and one headlight
it was a very basic stripped down truck, not sure if chevrolet had the fleet option

as for rare? 59 chevy introduced ac in trucks, i've never seen a factory ac 59 truck

but if you look on craigslist, most old truck listings say rare some wheres in the sales listing
it usually bumps the price up $2k
I think they should of made that grill detachable so you could use it as a barbecue Grill and cook Hamburgers on it!
58CameoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:30 PM   #8
OrrieG

I have never seen one Chevy badged. Oddest part is that it has a Chevy dash and gauges but the bezel has GMC where the Bowtie goes on Chevys.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:38 PM   #9
58CameoAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
I have never seen one Chevy badged. Oddest part is that it has a Chevy dash and gauges but the bezel has GMC where the Bowtie goes on Chevys.
I thought that was odd too, about the chevy dash with the GMC script were the
bowtie would be! There is a guy who has one in my little town that uses his for his contracting business, it is a Bare Bones Truck for sure!
Allen
Old 03-31-2014, 03:10 PM   #10
oldno7

ogre, the grill is the same as my buddy's. I think you guys are correct as far as the fleet option goes. I'm still gonna put up pics when i get them. The dash does have a chevy logo on it. thanks guys
Old 03-31-2014, 04:44 PM   #11
OrrieG

Here is a photo of the bezel and interior. Pretty spartan, no dome, heater (probably southern truck), or radio.
Attached Images

Old 03-31-2014, 08:45 PM   #12
oldno7

This is what i found out so far, this is from old gmc truck .com. U have to go to the gmc technical stuff section then down to the 1955-1959 fleet option trucks.

Beginning in 1955, gmc offered a stripped down version of their 100 series trucks called fleet option. The fleet option was developed to satisfy the demand of thrifty fleet owners who needed an errands truck such as airports, large facilities, etc
The fleet option was only available in light duty trucks(100-250)and the utility option was available in 300 and 370 series. This is an extremly rare and often misunderstood model, most people see the fleet option grille and incorrectly assume that it was an owner repair of the damaged original. The fleet option truck is more rare than any other factory made style and series gmc bar none. The number of surviving fleet option pickups is extremly low.

They used a chevy truck style V shaped guage cluster and dash in s series and a conventional gmc dash in y-t series. instead of the standard two panels with round gauges, and a gmc logo in the bottom center of the gauge cluster. The interior was devoid of any extra trim. The parklights were basic" generic" backup lights from other gm vehicles and the grilles were stamped sheet metal with no gmc logo or insignia. The only gmc insignia were on the stock pickup body tailgates, and the top of the hood. It was applied to a chevy hood and not the gmc hood with the normal inset for the gmc badge.

So this leads me to try and find out how many of these trucks are members have
Old 03-31-2014, 08:49 PM   #13
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

All fleet option trucks had a single headlight 58,59 included, All fleet option trucks had a Chevy cab and dash and badged either Chevy or GMC.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:57 PM   #14
mr48chev

Probably not many as most fleet truck had pretty hard lives unless the company they belonged to demanded that they be well cared for. As you said these were the plain Jane trucks that were ordered and sold in batches and turned over to drivers who often drove them pretty hard.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:59 AM   #15
Mac the Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr View Post
All fleet option trucks had a single headlight 58,59 included, All fleet option trucks had a Chevy cab and dash and badged either Chevy or GMC.
Wow- did not know that... sorry for the wrong info I posted earlier!!!
Mac the Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:36 AM   #16
_Ogre

gmc's version of an april's fools day joke?

gmc fleet trucks were stripped down chevy trucks; chevy hood and chevy dash must be gmc's way of slumming it

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:20 PM   #17
OrrieG

As for rarity I have seen at least three in SW Idaho, but we had a lot of logging and mining companies here and Morrison Knudsen that bought in bulk.

My neighbor made good money after he retired moving their trucks and employees private vehicles around the country for MK. He said they would buy like 20 trucks at a time a C or K20 modern version of the fleet series. Came in their corporate yellow with no trim, plain black front bumper, commercial back bumper with intregal ball and pintle hitch, all chrome was in painted black finish. Bench seat radio delete, heat only. Came wired for overhead em lights. Some came with spot lights too. His biggest challenge once was towing a sea going sailboat from the east coast to Portland OR. Involved an oversize permit and he had to select the route based on overhead clearance so he spent a lot of time on rural roads. They also bought a lot of Hot Shot type trucks too.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:05 PM   #18
oldno7

Yeah there were prob thousands of these trucks produced, for alot of companies. I bet 80% + are gone due to crashes or just being beat to death by the guys driving them because they didnt really care about them. They are different looking and probably not the first pick of the litter, but i like them for the fact that they are still an old gmc truck and not a camaro.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:17 PM   #19
Ratpin

I know where there is one of these in decent shape just about 6 miles from my house. It's sitting on a guy's acreage with about 60 other complete chevy trucks of various years and models. He let me walk through and look at everything one day and that fleet option truck stuck out. I'm sure he would probably sell it too. He did not know the rarety of them until I told him. He had thought somebody converted it to single headlight.
Ratpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:21 AM   #20
oldno7

Ratpin did you happen to get any pics of that lot or could you, everyone would love to see a herd of old trucks
Old 04-02-2014, 12:03 PM   #21
Ratpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
Ratpin did you happen to get any pics of that lot or could you, everyone would love to see a herd of old trucks
Funny you ask. I love the art of old cars and stuff so much that I took my sister out there the following weekend who is a professional photographer. I will have her send me some of the pictures and post them here in a day or so, although I know we did not get any of the '59 fleet option truck.

As many cool old trucks as he had, he had just as much cool old antique farm equipment which I also really dig.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:35 PM   #22
G&R's57GMC

I rescued this GMC fleet order cab to use for mock up.

Yes it may have had a heater and there is a block off plate over the dome light hole. It has the Chevy dash and a GMC ID plate on the hinge pillar.
Attached Images

'56 Chevy Long Bed I6, 4 speed Bought 1990 Sold 8.22.2020
’56 GMC Suburban Pickup V8, 4 speed Hydramatic Bought 1996 Sold 10.11.2020
My Other Tinkerings http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...75#post8967275
G&R's57GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:39 PM   #23
OrrieG

Here is one that shows up at a lot of the local shows. Notice the white hood emblem. he also changed out the clear turn signals for amber and mirror has been changed.
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2014, 12:56 PM   #24
58CameoAZ

Orrie I was told by an old Timer that you didn't even get a Driver side sun visor unless
you ordered it as an up grade back then! they were just a very basic stripped down version.

Still Think ya could Flip Hamburgers off that Grill!
Allen
Old 04-03-2014, 06:45 PM   #25
OrrieG

You are right, my truck only has the drivers, not even a hole for the passenger.