The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-22-2018, 04:13 PM   #1
Slowguy

Copied "greengus" and his method for rear spacers but have a question about fitment

I'd ask this in his build thread, but I know he sold his truck so he may not be active here anymore.

I had a set of wheel spacers for the rear. They are the type that bolt to the hub and then six more studs are fastened to the spacer itself. I thought it would be much stronger to press the original studs out of the axles while I had them out for the trutrac swap. I pressed out the old studs and add some extended ones as I saw on the Greengus thread.

I then proceeded to press out the studs that were seated into the spacer. Then I pressed in the new longer studs into the axles, slid on the spacers, and threw on the wheel.

My issue is, as you might be able to see in the pic, that the spacer does not center itself as there is some slop in the holes. I don't like this. It doesn't seem like this is a good idea as it could throw off the balance? Correct me if I'm wrong. I don't want to press back in the original studs and then press the studs back into the spacer.
Attached Images

Last edited by Slowguy; 12-22-2018 at 06:48 PM.
Slowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 09:19 PM   #2
Mike C

Re: Copied "greengus" and his method for rear spacers but have a question about fitme

I'm not sure of all the dynamics of the spacer, but I think using it the way it was designed is the right way to go and not trying to use it this way. I would consider spacers to be a stop gap solution as I was saving up for appropriately sized and fitted wheels myself.

If it were mine, I'd put it back the way it was and hope that removing the studs once wouldn't cause them to fit loosely when put back in thus spinning when trying to remove wheel. That would be a giant PITA problem.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 10:05 PM   #3
6T7 C10

Re: Copied "greengus" and his method for rear spacers but have a question about fitme

Nice work and nice looking axle. I see what you are trying to accomplish. IF the spacer AND wheel are not hub centric I would be against it then because the load is transferred to the studs which were designed to basically hold the wheel on. It is that center step that sticks out from the drum that is just to fit in the rim that carries the load and shock of impacts from the road. I see where things could get off center and not be hub centric in that set up. Just my opinion.
6T7 C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 01:01 AM   #4
Slowguy

Ok. This just reaffirms my assumptions. Doesn’t seem right to me. Next; is anyone aware of a hub centric spacer I can use with these extended bolts?
Old 12-23-2018, 12:50 PM   #5
davepl

I once had a set of wheels with a "universal" lug pattern that had some slop. Without the wheel centering on the hub, they'd walk and start to shake and vibrate very quickly.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 01:14 PM   #6
pappy 2

Make sleeves length of spacer thickness, that will fit inside of spacer and over stud.
pappy 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 01:36 PM   #7
Slowguy

I was thinking that same thing. I found something like this but I’ll need to verify Id and od with a mic first.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-16-ID-x-1...53.m1438.l2649
Old 12-23-2018, 08:52 PM   #8
Mike C

I'm trying to remember who made them, but I have some custom hub centric spacers for my K30. They are 3" and are hub centric. But they mount first to the studs on the inner dual then the second wheel mounts to the spacer itself. So I know you can get them. They were expensive though compared to the Amazon and eBay spacers that are common.

I think there are some weird dynamics to the long stud on the spacer that is mitigated with the second stud. But maybe not. LOL.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 10:32 PM   #9
Slowguy

I did some reading today and it seems the hub would add some strength but it appears that 6 x 7/16” hardened studs should be plenty enough to keep a wheel stuck to the truck. I think the issue arises in balance but they do make lug centric options. I suppose I’ll have to try and see if it is balanced with using just a lug centric mount. I’m using GM transit wheels just the same as green Gus. If this ends up being too much of a headache I might just swap them out for something else entirely. I’m also in the process of flipping the centers in the rear to change the backspacing. As a bonus I really like the deep dish look for the rears.

I hadn’t thought of this until now but in effort to center the spacer with the lug, I don’t need to use the holes left after pressing the studs out of the spacer. I can just use the actual machined lug holes and that will “lug” center the spacer to the axle. The machined holes are deep enough that the nuts will be below the surface of the spacer. Then I can mount the wheel and the set of nuts to hold the wheel on. I’ve never seen or heard of anyone doing this but it would be two sets of nuts on the same long wheel stud. Not even sure if that will work.

Anyway, the rearend is tucked away now and I’m on to the front end. Mounting the bags, and all the a arms etc. also doing the caster mod on resembly. I suppose I can think more about the wheels and the rear end while I’m completing other items.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:34 PM   #10
Slowguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowguy View Post
I did some reading today and it seems the hub would add some strength but it appears that 6 x 7/16” hardened studs should be plenty enough to keep a wheel stuck to the truck. I think the issue arises in balance but they do make lug centric options. I suppose I’ll have to try and see if it is balanced with using just a lug centric mount. I’m using GM transit wheels just the same as green Gus. If this ends up being too much of a headache I might just swap them out for something else entirely. I’m also in the process of flipping the centers in the rear to change the backspacing. As a bonus I really like the deep dish look for the rears.

I hadn’t thought of this until now but in effort to center the spacer with the lug, I don’t need to use the holes left after pressing the studs out of the spacer. I can just use the actual machined lug holes and that will “lug” center the spacer to the axle. The machined holes are deep enough that the nuts will be below the surface of the spacer. Then I can mount the wheel and the set of nuts to hold the wheel on. I’ve never seen or heard of anyone doing this but it would be two sets of nuts on the same long wheel stud. Not even sure if that will work.

Anyway, the rearend is tucked away now and I’m on to the front end. Mounting the bags, and all the a arms etc. also doing the caster mod on resembly. I suppose I can think more about the wheels and the rear end while I’m completing other items.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 12-24-2018, 11:45 AM   #11
rjs53

0 offset wheels on older vehicles doesn't appeal to me either. I like the dished look. Would like to put a 8.5" wide wheel on the front of my truck but can't find one I like that has at least a 5.25 backspace.
rjs53 is offline   Reply With Quote