The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-28-2016, 06:04 PM   #1
gable74

HVAC Questions

I got my new heater/AC controls because one of the levers on mine was broken. I started labeling everything and unhooking the cables, wiring, and vacuum lines and realized something odd. The cable that goes behind the glove box had a really sharp bend in it that wouldn't let the cable move freely. This (coincidentally) was the same cable the broken lever was connected to. So it would seem at some point someone either crossed up the cables or installed a cable much too short to function properly. I know thats not the question but it lead me to start looking at the rest of the setup to make sure it looked correct.

Then I realized after hooking everything back up and checking it out that the vacuum setup seemed odd. So here are the questions:

The top lever on the front of the AC/heater controls from left to right says

INSIDE - AIR - OUTSIDE - DEFROST

#1 When the top lever is all the way to the left (on the "INSIDE" mark) the vent on the passenger side opens. Shouldn't the vent open when the top lever is on "OUTSIDE" and not "INSIDE"?

#2 The vacuum switch on top of the heater/AC control only has (2) lines coming off of it on ports #2 and #3. Port #1 is blocked off. Is that correct?

#3 With the top lever all the way to the left I can hear a faint sound of a vacuum leak coming from that switch. It doesn't seem to affect anything and I can only hear when I am under the dash. Is that normal?

Thanks for any help or advice you can give.

Jimmie
gable74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 12:40 AM   #2
Sklptrljay

Re: HVAC Questions

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=689992

Check out this thread.

1972 GMC 4X4 K1500 Survivor - Sold

No matter what problems life throws at you, your time on Earth can be incredibly fulfilling and rewarding.....if you just lower your expectations. -Phil Dunphy
Sklptrljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 01:28 AM   #3
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: HVAC Questions

Quote:
#1 When the top lever is all the way to the left (on the "INSIDE" mark) the vent on the passenger side opens. Shouldn't the vent open when the top lever is on "OUTSIDE" and not "INSIDE"?
The kick panel is open to let the air in the cab keep circulating to cool off the cab quicker.
The outside flapper is closed when it's all the way to the left. The one under the cowl. That's the one that lets outside air into the cab.

#2 The vacuum switch on top of the heater/AC control only has (2) lines coming off of it on ports #2 and #3. Port #1 is blocked off. Is that correct?

If you have the 3 vacuum ports then it need to look like the picture above.
No vacuum leak, if it's leaking you have a problem.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 03:39 PM   #4
gable74

Re: HVAC Questions

Okay, thanks guys. That helps a lot. Does anyone have a part number or know where I can pick up a vacuum switch without having to buy the whole control assembly?
gable74 is offline   Reply With Quote