The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-03-2016, 09:34 PM   #1
WyattTX

Am I the only "weirdo" on this forum?

I ask this because I prefer long beds to short beds, factory GM rims. I don't like my 2wds lower than factory stance, and I don't like my 4x4s with lift higher than 5 inches. I like my exterior and interior to look as stock as posssible. The only thing I don't do stock is engine and drivetrain. Am I as rare as a breed as I think I am? Thanks.
WyattTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:00 PM   #2
thelonerife

Re: Am I the only "weirdo" on this forum?

I don't think its weird at all. There are a lot of trucks that look great stock and just like anything else people personalize them to their tastes. I like most of chevy and gmc trucks and not any other brands. Not bashing them, I just like what I like.
Some people will never leave a stock truck alone and thats okay. I don't like when purists criticize other peoples rides or practices. Its their truck and they make it suit them. GM made great trucks in stock form and we all can enjoy them as is or not.
thelonerife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:02 PM   #3
Cobblemizer

You sir are not alone, love the long beds, 2.5 inch lift and 33 tires
Cobblemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:29 PM   #4
Front Range

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelonerife View Post
I don't think its weird at all. There are a lot of trucks that look great stock and just like anything else people personalize them to their tastes.

I don't like when purists criticize other peoples rides or practices. Its their truck and they make it suit them.
Well said, we each have a pastime that keeps us sane. I'm happy to bring my Burb on 6" lift and hang out with the guys running 2" street clearance. Some of the best people you meet in life do things completely different.
Old 06-04-2016, 12:03 AM   #5
WyattTX

Thanks, I'm not alone. I'm not in any way bashing custom trucks, as I have seen some beautiful works of art made out of these. There is a man who lives near me that fills in tailgates,and put beautiful murals on them. He'd also make his own dashes, and door panels, he does outstanding work. He trys to convince me to walk away from the stock route, and his lovely work is tempting. But the the nostalgic looks of stock, are the final decision makers for me. The thing that makes me proud is: many people have square body street rods, which is great, because it keeps them out the crusher. But having one completely stock and not wore out is getting rare, so I'm trying to preserve my specimen.The only thing I'd like to see less is bed shortening, I'm not trying to hate on people that have done it, but for long bed lovers like me, you make the the job of finding a good more difficult, by butchering them up This applies to all generations of trucks, not just squares. I won't get bothered if people keep em stock, or make them their own, it's their truck and they have a right to choose how they want to style it. I didn't start this thread to start a discrimination against customizers, but to see just how many purists we have. Just remember, it doesn't matter what you do to them so long as they are not waiting to be crushed in a junk yard.
Old 06-04-2016, 11:49 AM   #6
chillman88

I tip my hat to you sir! Very well said. Customs can definitely be beautiful in their own way, but there's something about "the way it used to be" that is beautiful in it's own right. Honestly if I could walk into a showroom and buy a truck of any era brand new I'd probably choose an 73-87. I've always admired their simplicity and looks. I like my truck to be unique, but I still want it obvious what it is and where it came from.
Old 06-04-2016, 04:49 PM   #7
franken

I'm weird that way too...
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 04:08 AM   #8
Nick_R_23

I like longbeds too....they make great parts trucks for us shortbed guys!
Nick_R_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:53 AM   #9
Desert1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_R_23 View Post

I lowered mine with all "Bolt On" parts, NO cutting anything. It may be something I grow tired of, this way I can switch it back with just a little sweat. For now I like it.
Name:  003.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  32.8 KB
Desert
Desert1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:07 AM   #10
Jake Wade

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattTX View Post
I ask this because I prefer long beds to short beds, factory GM rims. I don't like my 2wds lower than factory stance, and I don't like my 4x4s with lift higher than 5 inches. I like my exterior and interior to look as stock as posssible. The only thing I don't do stock is engine and drivetrain. Am I as rare as a breed as I think I am? Thanks.
I wouldn't call it weird. In the minority would be a better way to say it.
Jake Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:51 PM   #11
Zane M

Yep, not weird.
I feel the same way.
Like Jake said, we are a minority, but not weird.
Zane M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:37 PM   #12
WyattTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_R_23 View Post
I feel that way for shorties.. What is wrong with long beds anyway? they ride better, they hold more, work better with fifth wheel trailers, etc. People sure do go through a lot of trouble to cut them down. I've considered stretching short beds!
Old 06-05-2016, 11:02 PM   #13
UKNOWME

Quote:
I've considered stretching short beds!
Now that's funny!
1964 Chevy c10
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU
UKNOWME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 11:02 PM   #14
buffydores

I've been spending the last two years taking my Dad's Blazer back to an interior with stock components and stock body treatments. It's fun giving these trucks an honest, time appropriate presentation. I use to modify everything. I now try to load vehicles with stock components and rare accessories. I honor all the folks that see it different, but the stock components connect me to the era the vehicle was made in. I'll take a Ramjet motor or a upgraded stereo with bluetooth that looks original, but that's about the it.
buffydores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 11:03 PM   #15
Nick_R_23

Quote:
I feel that way for shorties.. What is wrong with long beds anyway? they ride better, they hold more, work better with fifth wheel trailers, etc. People sure do go through a lot of trouble to cut them down. I've considered stretching short beds!
For a serious answer, it depends on your personal preference, as with everything on these trucks!

Ride better? That's subjective. I like a firmer ride personally. You might or might not. Longbed vs shortbed really isn't going to change that too much. But, shortbeds are lighter and can be made to handle better with a shorter chassis and less unsprung weight.

Sure, they can hold more, but that would depend on what you want your truck to do. Mines a hotrod/cruiser, so it will never need to hold more than groceries or parts from a run to the auto store. Now if it was a 4x4, sure, room for extra camping gear would be nice!

Honestly I like both, but with different uses. Hotrod/lowered trucks look better as shortbeds to me. I've owned a lowered longbed myself, and I liked it, but the proportions just looked odd compared to a lowered shortbed. But inversely, I think stock height or lifted trucks look better as longbeds, as the length looks more proper with the height. But then again, my daily driver is a Crew Cab Short Bed, so it throws everything out the window!
Old 06-05-2016, 11:12 PM   #16
Nick_R_23

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffydores View Post
I've been spending the last two years taking my Dad's Blazer back to an interior with stock components and stock body treatments. It's fun giving these trucks an honest, time appropriate presentation. I use to modify everything. I now try to load vehicles with stock components and rare accessories. I honor all the folks that see it different, but the stock components connect me to the era the vehicle was made in. I'll take a Ramjet motor or a upgraded stereo with bluetooth that looks original, but that's about the it.
I'm this way now, too. I highly prefer a stock appearance (lifts/lowering not included). Billet grilles, chrome engine bays, 20" rims, headache inducing paint jobs just don't do it for me, although I always appreciate any nicely built truck. My favorite builds are the ones that really nicely blend in the changes, and have modern performance/functionality that you really have to look close at to tell its not stock. Examples would be LS swaps dressed up to look like a classic small block, factory appearing rims made slightly wider, or even just the right combination of options. Those are the most impressive IMO.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:31 PM   #17
WyattTX

I guess everyone has a truck bed, that suits their needs. Though we must remember, long beds are dying along with regular cabs, and shortbeds are only getting shorter.Ford offers an extra short bed now! If you strap a wheel barrow to the back of a sedan you'd have just as much space. We're so caught up in trying to be the urban cowboy we are not, that we forget what a pickup is really used for! Sorry for the rant, I just get agitated at the sight of an extra short bed, that's Ford for you.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:04 AM   #18
71veronica

your not the only one. I prefer stock looking trucks and long beds and 3/4 tons. Here's mine currently being turned into a 4x4
Attached Images

71veronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 12:40 PM   #19
WyattTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71veronica View Post
your not the only one. I prefer stock looking trucks and long beds and 3/4 tons. Here's mine currently being turned into a 4x4
Being turned into a 4x4, I like the sound of that. I see a lot of conversions done the other way around on blazers, I've never quite understood.
Old 06-13-2016, 01:38 PM   #20
Fatherof3

65 C20 292 4spd 4:56 Eaton HO52
Fatherof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 10:43 PM   #21
superdav

2 wheel drive I like the short bed but 4 wheel I think a big lift LWB looks better
superdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 06:46 AM   #22
Trailering Special

Here is my stock silverado. 70,000 original miles. I plan on keeping it original as well.
Attached Images

Trailering Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 06:49 AM   #23
Trailering Special

Talking Re: Am I the only "weirdo" on this forum?

Here is my 78 3/4 ton original paint except for the hood with period correct slotted mags. I plan on leaving it as is too.
Attached Images

Trailering Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 10:04 AM   #24
WyattTX

Those are beautiful trucks, as well as time capsules. Don't let that make you scared to drive them, because that's what they're made for.
Old 07-04-2016, 06:32 AM   #25
bhc41051

Wyatt you're not alone; they're lots of people who enjoy and appreciate a stock truck. by a strange twist of fate I'm daily driving my bone stock 75 K-10. I get positive comments daily and strangely not just from old men. Sure we're a little weird by sending our water pump with the correct casting number out to be rebuilt instead of driving down to Auto Zone and picking one up. And yes I'm rocking a set of NOS Dill valve stem caps
bhc41051 is offline   Reply With Quote