The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-21-2019, 07:58 PM   #101
DJ_Baar

Re: My '67 Chevy C20 "Camper Special" Build

A chilly weekend, even here at New Orleans, but finished wiring the front of truck.

This includes adding two relays for the twin electric fans.

Just need to complete wiring the taillights; wired thru cab and down to frame so far.

Attached Images

Last edited by DJ_Baar; 01-21-2019 at 08:52 PM.
DJ_Baar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 09:35 AM   #102
DJ_Baar

Finally got around to fixing the transmission linkage issues (linkage to short, & if connected, indicator going past stop) with new CPP steering column.

BROTHERS Truck (who sold me the column that was NOT a simple bolt in - see previous issues), provided me the custom linkage. I did not use it as designed, going directly to transmission and bending the linkage to fit.

But used it in stock location by shortening steel rod an inch, leaving plenty to adjust if needed longer.

It fit perfect, see pictures and now works as it IS SUPPOSED TO!

Attached Images

Old 02-18-2019, 01:32 PM   #103
DJ_Baar

OK, got the taillights wired --- ALL wiring is now DONE – BUT …

* Windshield washer pump does not work.

* I think brake lights come on when I connect battery.

* All driving lights come on as supposed to & front with dimmer switch.

*Turn signals do not come on in front, come on in back but do not flash.

* Backup lights do not come on & neutral safety switch only works in PARK.

So, suspect I have to troubleshoot some wiring, switches, &/or adjustments under the dash. But ortho issues and weather today tell me enough for this holiday weekend. (I left the lenses off taillights for further troubleshooting later.) This ol’truck and this old body are wearing me out.

Attached Images

Old 02-24-2019, 02:17 PM   #104
DJ_Baar

Got most wiring fixed. Radio even works. Most problems were due to brake light switch adjustment. I had to almost bottom-out that adjustment. Funny how that even affected turn signal flasher ... having brake lights on constant?

Still have left front turn signal only work with lights off ... suspect problem with parking light wire or bulb receptacle. With just parking lights on left light brighter than right.

Had a bulb at dash for right turn signal just needed tabs on bulb holder bent up to connect better.

Found reverse wire loose at steering column switch (with neutral safety PARK ONLY start switch).

Will work windshield washer pump later ... that too had plug modified from wiring provide for this year truck?

Feel better having most sorted out now. Engine cranks fine - time to get timing right and start it up next!

Attached Images

Old 02-25-2019, 02:59 PM   #105
DJ_Baar

I confirmed that Left Front turn signal/parking light and bulb can only go in one way. BUT figured-out and confirmed that the light socket is wired backwards!

Funny thing, I bought two new turn signal parking lights at same time, and other (Right) side is good. Purple wire from socket to turn signal wire blue or light blue (L or R) and black from socket to parking light brown wire. But not on light I installed on right side. Go figure?!

I had to rewired backwards and it works now: all turn signals work with or without parking lights on.

Attached Images

Old 04-19-2019, 06:03 PM   #106
DJ_Baar

Put gas in truck last Sunday and started on second crank (10 second intervals). But fuel fitting leaked at carb. Fixed gas leak today, then had Neighbor help me crank engine over to check for any more gas leaks and it started right up - NO more leaks. Adjusted timing but need to do follow-up valve adjustment. Only did the static adjustment when building engine. Oil pressure gauge appeared to peg needle and stay there. But yes, engine is ALIVE again. The Blue Franken-Blueberry LIVES!

Have a video, but couldn't load it.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:05 PM   #107
Getter-Done

Nice work.
I been following your build.

I like your seat cover.

Where did you order the seat springs that was broken?
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 03:32 AM   #108
DJ_Baar

I believe that was LMC for the replacement end spring. It was a little smaller, not as wide as I recall, but length to fit worked. Then replaced/repaired foam as needed to fit seat. And was able to clean and re-use most of the seat clips to frame and new hog rings to springs. Get a good set of hog ring pliers helps too - eBay.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:14 AM   #109
DJ_Baar

1967 Chevrolet C20 (3/4 Ton)
Long Bed “Camper Special” Pick-up Truck
FOR SALE $15,000.00 FIRM

* This was to be my last big project. But I have been dealing with more and more personal mobility issues from disks in neck & spine, to arthritis in knees, hips, & feet issues too. All have finally taken all the fun out of it. Physical Therapy and knee replacement in process now help, but I know my limitations. It is what it is.

ALL RUST HAS BEEN REMOVED AND REPLACEMENT PARTS WELDED IN PLACE, ETC., ALL WAS CLEANED AND REPAINTED, NEW CAB MOUNTS AND EXTRA GROUNDS THROUGH-OUT.

Stock drum brakes replaced with disks brakes and new larger CPP Power Booster. Power steering assist was rebuilt and new pump, and steering column changed for CPP tilt with new wheel. Drive shaft was rebuilt with three new universals (has carrier bearing in middle of shaft since long bed). EATON H052 was rebuilt with complete new brakes and axle bearings.
Engine is built for low to 5K RPM with more torque. It is now a 355 Gen I SBC (bored .030” over) with complete Edelbrock E-Street aluminum heads, cam, carburetor & timing gears. Brand new crank shaft, pistons, & misc.... Scorpion roller rockers and longer pushrods. Higher performance water, oil, & fuel pumps. Delco Remy (System Integrated) SI alternator was installed along with high torque starter & new flex plate & torque converter. I used stock “ram horn” cast iron exhaust manifolds & complete 2.5-inch exhaust with “Cherry Bomb” Vortex mufflers. TH-400 transmission was completely rebuilt. K&N Air cleaner is customized for engine with size logo. Replaced stock radiator with aluminum & 2 electric fans ran-off of own temp sender and 2 30amp fuses/relays mounted out of the way on the fire wall. Most ALL fluids used are AMSOIL products to include engine oil, antifreeze, and transmission fluid. Used 30W for breaking and have enough 10W30 available for 2 oil changes after.

Complete American Auto Wire (AAW) upgraded wiring kit for truck. Stock HVAC removed for complete Vintage Air replacement system eliminating all that space & weight used for old systems. Upgraded complete dash gauge cluster to include installing Tachometer. Stereo with CD player replaced DIN radio that was already cut into dash when I got truck. Also added side speakers at vents I rebuilt to operate and twin speakers behind new radio.
All glass is replaced and new door regulators, etc…. Have extra set of vent windows but thought new replacements would be more cost effective that rebuilding --- that is on buyer. Doors not completely re-assembled at this point.

Repaired and re-upholstered seat with custom Chevy logo to match trucks “patina” color (clear coated). Roof and inside of roof (ceiling) are matching white pearl. New dash pads, arm rests, and visors ready to be installed. Doors and complete truck mirrors ready to be remounted with SS hardware.

* Basically truck is 98% completed --- I just ran out of steam with my health issues. WAY MORE INVESTED time & money – just not completed. I will continue to work the following as I can.

New windshield washer fluid pump with rebuilt wiper motor is not squirting fluid.

Gas gauge isn’t reading with new sending unit & new electric oil pressure gauge is not reading. Oil pressure gauge is a conversion from mechanical (so was the ammeter to voltmeter for safety reasons).

Truck has issue closing right passenger door completely with press-on door seal installed. Door closed with old seal installed after welding repairs were made. Needs more TLC. Have glue on seals available.

I will have new pictures when I get the hood on shortly and front bumper. I was putting my heart & soul into this project but willing to let it go at a very fair price to someone who can appreciate it. Look it over and you will see I have a LOT of time & $ invested.

Old 05-25-2019, 01:30 PM   #110
DJ_Baar

With a little help from my Friends I got the hood back on & adjusted.

Added a graphic for a little more "Me" in 'er.

Need to adjust the headlights so I can install the trim rings and clean & paint the front bumper supports and get front bumper back on with some new hardware.

Attached Images

Old 06-30-2019, 01:03 PM   #111
DJ_Baar

Finished some repairs to bumper brackets. Needed to heat and reshape as one was bent a bit.

Cleaned-up and blue anodized the bumper because a little beat-up and rusty. I think the blue goes well with truck in blue "patina."

Put the "Chevrolet" logo back on the hood.

And with a little help from my more mobile Friends Ron & AJ, got the bumper back on.

Need to adjust headlights & have to get new screws to put the headlight rims back on.

This will probably be it until after knee surgery end of July. May have another interested person to purchase - we shall see.

Attached Images

Old 07-02-2019, 04:26 PM   #112
Aus69c20

I’ve watched your build with interest and you’ve done a lot of good work. It’s a shame you have to sell but I guess life doesn’t always go as planned and sometimes we need to make tough choices.

I wish you all the best with the sale and your surgery.

69 c20, 396, th400, dana60, ps, ac
Aus69c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 12:37 PM   #113
DJ_Baar

Wink Re: My '67 Chevy C20 "Camper Special" Build

Thank you Aus69c20.

I'm going to work on passenger door seal & touching-up paint in process over this upcoming long holiday weekend.

I went ahead and ordered the replacement complete vent windows, to match all the other green tinted new glass. Got 16% off from USA1 and a good price to start. All glass in truck is/will be NEW.

Not sure when I will get doors rebuilt with new windows, vent wings, all seals, and hardware? I take how I feel and what I can get done like the weather down here in New Orleans area, day by day.

I will keep posting updates as I get things done.

PS. I have had some very impressed folks look at truck. But money talks and BS walks. Depending on my health, I will keep working towards completion and if it don't sell so be it - it was meant for me. I know I would get top dollar at events like "Cruisin the Coast" here. And completed it will be listed for more - a LOT of work has gone into making this ol'truck the best I could make it. Thank you for noticing that.

Last edited by DJ_Baar; 07-03-2019 at 12:42 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 08-27-2019, 09:23 AM   #114
DJ_Baar

It has been four weeks now since complete right knee replacement surgery. Getting around now with cane vice "walker" but knee is tight and physical therapy (PT) is a painful stretch toward getting flexibility back.

Attached a picture from when dressing removed after two weeks and second from this past weekend looking much better with swelling down more.

Attached Images

Old 11-24-2019, 05:05 PM   #115
DJ_Baar

Completed rehab for right knee. Now just old man aches & pains & gym three times a week around work to get better and back to wrenching

I am trying to get back to finishing up whats left --- nothing has really changed since mid-July.

Thanksgiving this week, thankful for health I have.

Old 11-24-2019, 07:43 PM   #116
Getter-Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Baar View Post
Completed rehab for right knee. Now just old man aches & pains & gym three times a week around work to get better and back to wrenching

I am trying to get back to finishing up whats left --- nothing has really changed since mid-July.

Thanksgiving this week, thankful for health I have.

Good to hear.
Thanks for the update .
Hope you enjoy your Thanksgiving Weekend.

Old 11-28-2019, 07:06 AM   #117
Aus69c20

Happy wrenching.

69 c20, 396, th400, dana60, ps, ac
Aus69c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:12 PM   #118
DJ_Baar

Got a new motivational tattoo last Saturday like my Chevy Bowtie in my '67 C20 grill, but with attitude.

Now if I could feel good nuf to get back to finishing this ol'truck. Arthritis is a Biotch! May need some work done on my hips next and neck issues?!

Thinking positive; getting older is a blessing, so taking one day, one thing at a time. I have few parts needed for truck as of now. Will still have to work-out problem with electric oil pressure gauge conversion? But I will do what I can as I can and get help as weather and I are doing better

Attached Images

Old 04-20-2020, 11:11 AM   #119
DJ_Baar

Unhappy My '67 Chevy C20 "Camper Special" Build - COVID Update

I re-posted truck FOR SALE post on this FORUM and various FB 67-72 Chevy Pages. Current COVID shutdowns have put all my medical help on hold (traction and injections). But I am doing my best at home using inflatable traction, heat, and massage pillow, even exercise & stretching to help chronic neck pain and subsequent headaches, etc.…. I had hoped to get better enough to finish the truck and drive or sell finished product with a little help from my Friends. But currently can’t have Friends help due to COVID isolation and social distancing. We’ll see if I can get back to it if not sold after all of this passes. Anyone who has personally dealt with similar chronic spine, arthritis, & neuropathy pain should understand why I'm having trouble being motivated to keep working this final project?

In meantime, I have figured-out some of the few odd issues to complete this project. And will look to help from others too. So I will post separately to see if any other folks have dealt with and may have an answers to those. These builds ALWAYS have learning and making things work correctly or better If sold to someone that can appreciate this frame-off resto-rod at reasonable price COOL, I can move-on and be happy for someone. If not I will keep trying to get back to it.

Keep on Trucking Ya’all!!!

Old 04-20-2020, 11:22 AM   #120
cornerstone

Re: My '67 Chevy C20 "Camper Special" Build - COVID Update

Quote:
I re-posted truck FOR SALE post on this FORUM and various FB 67-72 Chevy Pages. Current COVID shutdowns have put all my medical help on hold (traction and injections). But I am doing my best at home using inflatable traction, heat, and massage pillow, even exercise & stretching to help chronic neck pain and subsequent headaches, etc.…. I had hoped to get better enough to finish the truck and drive or sell finished product with a little help from my Friends. But currently can’t have Friends help due to COVID isolation and social distancing. We’ll see if I can get back to it if not sold after all of this passes. Anyone who has personally dealt with similar chronic spine, arthritis, & neuropathy pain should understand why I'm having trouble being motivated to keep working this final project?

In meantime, I have figured-out some of the few odd issues to complete this project. And will look to help from others too. So I will post separately to see if any other folks have dealt with and may have an answers to those. These builds ALWAYS have learning and making things work correctly or better If sold to someone that can appreciate this frame-off resto-rod at reasonable price COOL, I can move-on and be happy for someone. If not I will keep trying to get back to it.

No shame in selling. Although I'm physically better off to some degree, I can relate to being limited in the work getting done category due to pain issues. I hope you recover fully my friend.

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 12:08 PM   #121
DJ_Baar

Found one answer after initial response to another question thread I posed.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=617703

Looking to order these doors seals as listed to see how it does for me.

DJ

Old 04-20-2020, 11:01 PM   #122
Getter-Done

Re: My '67 Chevy C20 "Camper Special" Build - COVID Update

Quote:

I hope you get to feeling better.
If you Truck sells / Some One will be a Lucky Person.

You have done a Lot of Great Work.
I like the work you done on the inner fenders the most.

Name:  inner fender.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  85.6 KB
They look great

Old 04-21-2020, 07:40 AM   #123
DJ_Baar

Thank you Getter-Done.

Some of the rust removal and rebuilding of the lower front on those inner fenders was very challenging. But I do take great pride in what I do and make the best I can to avoid any repeat repairs.

Old 05-03-2020, 01:48 PM   #124
DJ_Baar

Talking Re: My '67 Chevy C20 "Camper Special" Build

I ordered and got 2006 Honda Civic coupe door seals delivered Friday.
P/N 72315-SVA-A01ZA for the right side.
P/N 72355-SVA-A01ZA for the left side.
Idea from this earlier post:
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=617703

Well, I spent the past couple weekends working door openings with a little body hammer persuasion, file, and sandpaper to get a little better door fit. Weather was good and wrenchin when I can. (Remember I had to replace the drip rails both doors and a lot of rust removal, replacement panels, & repair - mainly passenger side floor, etc....) So all is repainted and will let that paint cure thru this week before trying new door seals and keeping fingers crossed. If this is the fix HIP HIP HURRAY & I can complete installing door glass so truck can safely be moved out of garage and be out in the weather.

R/DJ

Last edited by DJ_Baar; 05-09-2020 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Fixed link - wasn't working
Old 05-09-2020, 02:49 PM   #125
DJ_Baar

Talking Re: My '67 Chevy C20 "Camper Special" Build

Started with problem passenger door.

Got the "Honda" door seal in place and can close the door all the way!!!

I put the corner in top front corner and trimmed around HVAC vent and inside under trim - still take a little more umph to close all the way - maybe some adjustment on striker?

Then went to put BRAND NEW replacement "CUSTOM" emblem on door and the trim nuts supplied were WAY TOO BIG! I had to put a die on the posts to have threads for 10/24 thread nuts. A little sealant to keep from rattling and keep nuts from backing off.

Enough for today - I will get driver door done tomorrow when I can pull out of the garage while wife is at work I will make sure I find all the cleaned & painted hardware to install all the new glass and seals and that will be next weekend. Then I can pull truck out of garage and leave in the weather as I work other little things....

This truck is definitely "CUSTOM!"

Attached Images