The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-20-2009, 09:57 PM   #1
Rusty's_War_wagon

Newbie; checking out a 1980 Suburban; body swap

I'm new to the list. I'm currently looking at a 1980 Suburban 2wd that's being privately sold. This would be a fixer-upper/project vehicle for my 16 year old & me. This would be my 1st Suburban and my first fixer-upper. The goal is to use it as a "war wagon" in which to store and haul my search and rescue equipment. Eventually I might want to do a body swap to make it 4wd.

I've got a potful of questions. The four that immediately come to mind are:
1) Are there any big problems with 1980/1980's Suburbans? In going through all the pages of the forum (including the projects), I saw a lot of 60's-70's Suburbans & a lot of 90's+ Suburbans, but darn few (if any) 80s. Are 80's models something that knowledgeable folks are avoiding?
2) Am I biting off more than I can chew here as a newbie?
3) What should I be looking for/looking to avoid in this vehicle?
4) Would doing the body swap be a fairly straightforward process? If I replace the body mounts now & operate it for a period of time in 2wd, will I have to replace those new fittings when I do the body swap? Am I correct in understanding that most 87-91 Chevy 4wd pickups have frames that would work as a donor vehicle?

Sorry for the question dump in a single post. Didn't want to clutter up the forum. I'm just at the "make the decision" point on the vehicle.
Thanks!
Jim

Last edited by Rusty's_War_wagon; 09-20-2009 at 10:06 PM.
Rusty's_War_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:34 AM   #2
tvblazer78
Low & Fast!

Re: Newbie; checking out a 1980 Suburban; body swap

The burbs are a very good truck, they work well and look good at the same time.

Now I think you are asking if a 4x4 truck frame will work under the burb and I think that would be a no. But you can use the 4x4 out of a truck and put it on the burb frame. I have seen guys on here doing that before. Look in project builds and you will see one or two guys doing this.

And welcome to the board.

TRav
tvblazer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:17 AM   #3
Rusty's_War_wagon

Trav: thanks for the feedback. I'm looking forward to any suggestions on what I'd need to replace/adjust to make a 2wd/4wd changeover happen. Anything in particular that I should check or watch out for in making a decision on buying this? Thanks!
Rusty's_War_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:25 AM   #4
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

I think before I went to the trouble to swap the frame to make a 4WD, I would just buy one. Check ebay or Craigslist either here (Texas) or AZ to find something decent and rust free.
Jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote