The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-03-2020, 01:07 AM   #26
burnin oil

Re: White Vinegar For Cleaning Parts

I had to clean a nasty fitting off of a sand blaster for repurposing on an impact wrench. About an hour in apple vinegar and rinse. Almost spotless. The fitting was galvanised. Finished cleaned it with a paper towel. As much junk as I have around here you would think I would have a new 1/2"-3/8"npt fitting. Saved a trip to town.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 08:27 PM   #27
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Thinking about your thread Doc, I really wanted these bumper nuts badly. I have eight already zinc plated. My rear step bumper didn't have them, but a sport bumper does, which I'm using. At any rate, I had three extra for some reason, & stole another six off my C20. That truck is pretty well rusty, so the nuts took some doing.

I don't like soaking parts in vinegar too long or often. These took three vinegar baths as is, two with a pinch of Must For Rust too. You can help the process with WD-40 baths, which I did, twice , I really wanted these nuts. WD-40 loosens up the rust (black) some, that and a scrub pad works well.

First picture is what the nuts looked like after the first vinegar bath, brushing and an oil bath. If it's black it's "still rust" and HARD. That black doesn't bode well for anything short of paint.

Second picture is of them finished, but a little sanding in places due. One nut is pretty bad, but I don't need it.

Third pic is what they'll look like, though the plated nuts were in much better condition from start.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 07-01-2020 at 08:54 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:06 PM   #28
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Thinking about your thread Doc, I really wanted these bumper nuts badly. I have eight already zinc plated. My rear step bumper didn't have them, but a sport bumper does, which I'm using. At any rate, I had three extra for some reason, & stole another six off my C20. That truck is pretty well rusty, so the nuts took some doing.

I don't like soaking parts in vinegar too long or often. These took three vinegar baths as is, two with a pinch of Must For Rust too. You can help the process with WD-40 baths, which I did, twice , I really wanted these nuts. WD-40 loosens up the rust (black) some, that and a scrub pad works well.

First picture is what the nuts looked like after the first vinegar bath, brushing and an oil bath. If it's black it's "still rust" and HARD. That black doesn't bode well for anything short of paint.

Second picture is of them finished, but a little sanding in places due. One nut is pretty bad, but I don't need it.

Third pic is what they'll look like, though the plated nuts were in much better condition from start.

I've had a couple of parts that I had to get a little more aggressive with too. I used the wire wheel on one of them and it worked pretty good. I have a few of those slotted nuts if you want me to see if any of them are in good shape.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:35 PM   #29
davischevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Gotta have it on my greens, too! I keep a jug handy with my other chemicals. Vinegar is excellent for paint prep, too. Etching bare metal. Cheap!
Well there ya' go. After you get your parts clean, you can have greens.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:53 PM   #30
toolboxchev

Gave that stuff a whirl. 1 buck at the Dollar Store. All I can say is I am impressed!

Let em sit in the sun with the lids on.
Attached Images

toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:28 PM   #31
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
I've had a couple of parts that I had to get a little more aggressive with too. I used the wire wheel on one of them and it worked pretty good. I have a few of those slotted nuts if you want me to see if any of them are in good shape.

LockDoc
Thanks Doc, but I have the 16 I need. Sure I wouldn't mind cleaner nuts than a few of these, but don't trouble yourself, I'll survive. And sure, they're going to be the only hardware on this truck that's pitted, but don't fret, I'll get over it

Messing around, seriously I'm good, thank you for the offer. Then again, if they're nice and you don't need them, I'll find some bolts for your good gesture

I call em slotted nuts too - apparently they're "expanding flex top" or "flex lock" nuts.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 07-03-2020, 10:18 PM   #32
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Thanks Doc, but I have the 16 I need. Sure I wouldn't mind cleaner nuts than a few of these, but don't trouble yourself, I'll survive. And sure, they're going to be the only hardware on this truck that's pitted, but don't fret, I'll get over it

Messing around, seriously I'm good, thank you for the offer. Then again, if they're nice and you don't need them, I'll find some bolts for your good gesture

I call em slotted nuts too - apparently they're "expanding flex top" or "flex lock" nuts.
Sorry Doc, that was my LONG winded way of saying I'm happy either way. I just finished what I got with sand paper, and even the most pitted is probably useful, it's an extra anyway. I'd sand a few more, but would rather not use metric
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2020, 10:34 PM   #33
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Sorry Doc, that was my LONG winded way of saying I'm happy either way. I just finished what I got with sand paper, and even the most pitted is probably useful, it's an extra anyway. I'd sand a few more, but would rather not use metric

No problem. Thanks for the note.

LockDoc

-
Old 07-04-2020, 01:33 PM   #34
68Gold/white

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
No problem. Thanks for the note.

LockDoc
Leon,Thanks for the thread!!!

I'm always looking for cheaper and easier ways do to things!!!

Hope your 4th in the Great State of Iowa is a great day for you and family!!!
Jeff
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 02:28 PM   #35
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Gold/white View Post
Leon,Thanks for the thread!!!

I'm always looking for cheaper and easier ways do to things!!!

Hope your 4th in the Great State of Iowa is a great day for you and family!!!
Jeff

Thanks Jeff. Doing good here in Iowa, Slowww and easy..

LockDoc

-
Old 07-05-2020, 11:05 AM   #36
jamie72

just a tip for nuts and bolt cleaning, it you are a reloader,and clean your own cases, a tumbler is a great tool to clean up the small stuff.

member #807

http://www.myspace.com/whitetailobsession
www.antlertalk.com
jamie72 is offline   Reply With Quote