The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-03-2020, 09:58 AM   #1
Minkota

Strong Fuel odor

I have been getting a strong Fuel odor from outside the truck, I am unable to find any leaks. is there a hidden line somewhere that it could be coming from?

67 with tank still behind the seat (no fuel odor inside the cab)
Minkota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 10:25 AM   #2
tim_mc

Re: Strong Fuel odor

Carb or FI? Any recent changes? I had a strong gasoline odor and suspected too much fuel pressure for the Edelbrock 1405. There are several references that Edelbrock/CarterAFB carbs can't handle more than ~5 psi of fuel. The mechanical fuel pump was rated at 7-9 psi if I recall correctly. I added a Mr. Gasket 9710 fuel regulator and that seems to have fixed it. It may not be your issue, but thought I'd mention it.
Old 03-03-2020, 10:54 AM   #3
Minkota

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_mc View Post
Carb or FI? Any recent changes? I had a strong gasoline odor and suspected too much fuel pressure for the Edelbrock 1405. There are several references that Edelbrock/CarterAFB carbs can't handle more than ~5 psi of fuel. The mechanical fuel pump was rated at 7-9 psi if I recall correctly. I added a Mr. Gasket 9710 fuel regulator and that seems to have fixed it. It may not be your issue, but thought I'd mention it.
Carb (edelbrock 1906)
Old 03-03-2020, 12:50 PM   #4
toolboxchev

Check the hose that under the passenger side of cab. Goes from metal fitting through the cab by frame rail. Attaches to line that runs up to the fuel pump.

Today's grade of ethanol fuel line sold by the FLAPS generally for me has started cracking in just over a year.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 02:19 PM   #5
Minkota

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolboxchev View Post
Check the hose that under the passenger side of cab. Goes from metal fitting through the cab by frame rail. Attaches to line that runs up to the fuel pump.

Today's grade of ethanol fuel line sold by the FLAPS generally for me has started cracking in just over a year.
That was the first place I checked. I thought maybe there was a hidden line somewhere that I am unable to see.
Old 03-03-2020, 03:17 PM   #6
hamjet

Also check the fuel cap rubber seal to make sure fumes aren't passing by the cap.
Old 03-03-2020, 03:44 PM   #7
Southcity

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamjet View Post
Also check the fuel cap rubber seal to make sure fumes aren't passing by the cap.
X2^. Does it occur mostly when the tank is full? perhaps gas is seeping out around the cap on hard turns. It takes very little gas to give off a strong gas odor.
Old 03-04-2020, 07:34 AM   #8
Minkota

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamjet View Post
Seems to be coming from passenger side of the truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southcity View Post
X2^. Does it occur mostly when the tank is full? perhaps gas is seeping out around the cap on hard turns. It takes very little gas to give off a strong gas odor.
Does not matter what the fuel level is.

I put a new carb on it last night (was planning on changing it out anyway) so I will be able to eliminate that as a culprit when I check it tonight.
Old 03-09-2020, 06:50 AM   #9
Minkota

so, it turns out my brand new (less than a week old) Edelbrock carb has a hairline crack in the body of it on the back side. unfortunately, the store where I purchased it is telling me that because I already installed it they will not give me a refund or exchange. I contacted Edelbrock and I am waiting for a response...