The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-11-2003, 07:35 PM   #1
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Unhappy Help X 2

Thought I'd have the beast moveable today, but a lttle snafu came up. She cranks, and getting gas, but appears no spark. Stanbdard wiring hooksup. Points Ign, External regulator, 250 6 with 3 speed.

Now I don't have the voltage regulator mounted yet...can't find the little special mounting screws, and I have no gauge panel in the truck.

I have hooked up all the grounds that were on the front clip. Dont have any lights connected at all yet either.

I visually check the wires on the coil and distributor. They all appear intact. I didn't get to trace any other wiring or test anything else yet as I couldn't find my voltmeter (I think it is under the pile of parts in my shed.) and the heat was getting to me by then.

Things on my mind

1. Voltage regulator needs mounted?

2. Voltage regulator bellied up

3. Points went weird while sitting 6 months

4. Is there a circuit in gauge panel that's needed?

5. Wire broke that I don't know about yet

Been a long time since I traced auto electrical problems, so any pointers would be appreciated.

It's looking like a truck again though.

Thanks

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 07:43 PM   #2
JimKshortstep4x4

Talking

My first thought would be the points. Remove the distributor cap and make sure the points are closed. With the ignition on use a screw driver to open the points. You should be able to make the
coil fire this way. If the points don't seem to be making contact,
rub one contact against the other to see if you can make them arc. If you have voltage to the distributor, this will test it. Once the points arc, you should be able to make the coil fire. If that does not work, some testing may be required.

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 08:45 PM   #3
ZOOMY

starting

Do you have all of the wires hooked up to the screw on the front of the pas side inner fender ???
ZOOMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 08:56 PM   #4
O'l Buck
Recovering Truck Driver

Grab a test light and see if you have power to the coil. You may have missed a connection somewhere between the switch, starter and coil.

Chad
South Central Nebraska
O'l Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 10:31 PM   #5
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Thanks guys...I'll check them out.

Zoomy....I don't have wires on my passenger inner fender. Someone removed them and the block a long time ago. So I'm not sure how they rerouted whatever was there before.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 10:53 PM   #6
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

you shouldnt have to have a voltage reg to run themotor youll just fry the battery cause it will run off the battery. Im thinking points or something up there is it possible ya didnt connect the ignition switch?? and also on the starter got the wires right?

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 11:20 PM   #7
jimfulco

If points are operating and you have juice to the coil, try running a piece of cardboard (thin but rough on both sides) back & forth between the points. This will remove oil film, etc.
jimfulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 11:26 PM   #8
Terry S

You don't need the voltage reg to mae spark, since it's part of the charging circuit. If you don't have spark, I would start by making sure that I had a full 12 volts at the coil when the key is in the start position, and 6-8 in the run position. If you don't have voltage, then trace the wiring backwards toward the power supply (bad ignition switch, broken wire, etc.) If on the other hand, you have appropriate voltage at the coil, then your problems are further downstream (bad coil, points burned, blablahblah)
Good luck!