The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-31-2014, 08:43 AM   #1
eric8

Plugging fuel filler hole

I will be doing an LS swap soon on my 72 C10 so obviously the factory tank is going to be taken out. I'm trying to avoid paint or bodywork to fill in the hole left behind where the filler neck passed through. What I had envisioned is using a rubber type "plug" or blank off that attaches like a firewall grommet. I was curious if anyone knows the diameter of the hole that is left in the cab once one removes the filler neck and factory grommet?

I had also considered welding in a "dummy" filler neck so I could put on the stock gas cap and give the appearance of a stock truck from the outside. Has anyone ever done this? Stupid idea?
eric8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:46 AM   #2
Daddy Brim

Re: Plugging fuel filler hole

I had also considered welding in a "dummy" filler neck so I could put on the stock gas cap and give the appearance of a stock truck from the outside. Has anyone ever done this? Stupid idea? [/QUOTE]

I like this idea, if you are going to stay with the stock look. If not weld in a plate and try to match the paint.

67 C-20 Custom Camper
68 Nova 396 it does wheelies
2005 Buick Century the one the wife drives
1989 Toyota Tercel to drive when I can't put gas in the first 2.
Daddy Brim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:56 AM   #3
eric8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy Brim View Post
I had also considered welding in a "dummy" filler neck so I could put on the stock gas cap and give the appearance of a stock truck from the outside. Has anyone ever done this? Stupid idea?
I like this idea, if you are going to stay with the stock look. If not weld in a plate and try to match the paint.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that was my initial concern about the bodywork...not so much the labor of doing the bodywork, but the ability to match the paint and make it look good.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:15 AM   #4
Eddie H.

You could slice off the original filler neck from the old tank ( Take it out, fill to the top with water, and very carefully cut it off with a hack saw, so there's no chance of it going boom), then leave it sticking out of the rubber grommet with a cap on it. It would look stock. I would plug it up with something, however, to prevent somebody from accidentally filling the cab up with gas.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:42 AM   #5
csfields

Check out the Holley truck. It's a 67 short bed and it's running a LS motor and they left the stock gas cap in place. May have to google it. Nice truck.

71 Chevy C-10 SWB 350/400 PS, PB
The Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=584045

The Brake Upgrade http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=695699
csfields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 01:55 PM   #6
brad_man_72
the boat guy

You CAN use the stock tank when doing an ls swap...
Or leave the tank in, or cut the front of the tank out so you have the storage.
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:55 PM   #7
eric8

I probably should have said I'm doing a GM or Aeromotive in tank fuel pump module. And as far as I know, there's no way to make that work in a stock tank. With an inline pump, yes, I agree.

On another note, I recall reading where the rubber filler neck donut grommet specific to the 1972 models was still available new from GM. Anyone know the part number or where to get them?
Old 01-31-2014, 06:42 PM   #8
Old Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric8 View Post
I will be doing an LS swap soon on my 72 C10 so obviously the factory tank is going to be taken out. I'm trying to avoid paint or bodywork to fill in the hole left behind where the filler neck passed through. What I had envisioned is using a rubber type "plug" or blank off that attaches like a firewall grommet. I was curious if anyone knows the diameter of the hole that is left in the cab once one removes the filler neck and factory grommet?

Just throw away the key and you won't be able to take the cap off.
Old Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:19 PM   #9
tommys72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie H. View Post
You could slice off the original filler neck from the old tank ( Take it out, fill to the top with water, and very carefully cut it off with a hack saw, so there's no chance of it going boom), then leave it sticking out of the rubber grommet with a cap on it. It would look stock. I would plug it up with something, however, to prevent somebody from accidentally filling the cab up with gas.
For a stock look this sounds good to me. Cut the neck off and weld a piece to the end so its just the neck sticking out of the cab, put your cap on it and go.

tommys72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:18 AM   #10
eric8

Quote:
I probably should have said I'm doing a GM or Aeromotive in tank fuel pump module. And as far as I know, there's no way to make that work in a stock tank. With an inline pump, yes, I agree.

On another note, I recall reading where the rubber filler neck donut grommet specific to the 1972 models was still available new from GM. Anyone know the part number or where to get them?
Yeah I may go the route of the fake filler neck. Sure I could just leave the old, empty tank in, but I wouldn't want the associated weight penalty. I'm trying to pare down as much weight as possible.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:15 AM   #11
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: Plugging fuel filler hole

Long ago before I welded the hole up in my 71 I left the rubber grommlet in place and bought a cheap plastic gas cap drilled a couple of holes on the inside of the cap and tie wrapped it to the inside of the cab. I pulled it really tight and never had any leaking when washing it.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:31 AM   #12
cdowns

you could fill the hole with a rubber chicken head
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:38 AM   #13
72bowtiestepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
you could fill the hole with a rubber chicken head
Or ...you could just stick a rag in it like the "Farm Truck" (street outlaws) !
72bowtiestepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:40 AM   #14
luvbowties

Smile Re: Plugging fuel filler hole

Quote:

I like your simple, highlighted suggestion above: just install a locking cap to avoid someone accidentally pumping gas thru the opening.
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote