The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-02-2017, 12:21 PM   #1
SanJosesSteve

Stock Radiator Fan

So I finally got the nerve to take the 59 GMC on my annual fishing trip. 250 mile round trip from sea level up to 10,000' and back. All original... (less the dual M/C and fog lights I just converted to.)... 270 motor (130K) , single Zenith carb, 3 on the tree and a stump puller of a rear end.

Temps across the valley hit 105 and the gage was kissing the edge of the normal range while maintaining 60mph. With a bit of a grade ahead of me I turned on the heater. The truck never over heated, but I was dying until I got up to 3,000' and the outside temp started to cool.

A friend suggested that I may be able to swap my 4 blade fan for a 5 blade model. Maybe a water pump with a smaller hub or a shroud for the radiator.

I like the fact that the truck is all original and so want to limit the scope of any mods, like an electric fan. Would there be any gain to a 5 blade fan?

Thanks, Steve
Attached Images