The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-31-2011, 12:53 AM   #1
flashed

Deconstruction Almost Complete

I got off work early today and had the urge to go visit the bodyshop today where my 72 Chevy short fleetside truck has been for the last 6 months or so just waiting its turn to be restored. I was pleasantly surprised to see my cab, bed ,fenders ,2 sets of doors ,2 tailgates and the rotten core support in separate areas of the shop. The bed ,doors,tailgates,and fenders were already sandblasted and epoxy primed .The cab was sitting on a dolly awaiting the removal of the windshield and back glass .The rolling frame (glad I didnt sell those 4 van rallys yet) was sitting out back awaiting the motor and trans to be pulled tomorrow and then the frame gets sandblasted. The motor will be taken apart for a new stock 290 HP cam(current one too much for brake vacuum) and new gaskets as it leaked oil everywhere but didnt burn any . I was just up there last week to leave them a Christmas gift of a case of beer and it was pretty much untouched .I cant wait to see the new panels going on the cab ,the rest of the body was pretty good except the core support and the right fender cup .The cab has the normal ares of rust in the rockers ,cab mounts ,and cab corners. I have gathered most all needed parts over the last year from mostly individuals here as well as the many vendors here so thankyou all very much. My cowl hood was about the only local item I bought as AMD is not far from me and I got a great deal thru one of their test fitters/vendors and my Buddybuckets I got for free from a friend that didnt like them .I dont have any pics as I didnt know they had done all this til I got there and I cant post them if I had them.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:14 PM   #2
chopnchaneled

Re: Deconstruction Almost Complete

Good for you !!!! Can't wait to see it.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:41 PM   #3
70chevytruck

Never has so much happened because of a case of beer!!

I would love to know what you end up spending for the restoration...sometimes I feel like crating all the parts up and dropping it off.

70chevytruck
70chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:04 PM   #4
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I'd be stocking them up about once a week or so.If it keeps them motivated and your truck doesn't wind up in paint jail it would be worth it.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:28 PM   #5
67cheby
67cheby

we cant believe any of this without pictures !!
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:38 PM   #6
Dunenutt
Newbee

There is no better motivator, than free beer!

Congrats on the progress!
Dunenutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:58 PM   #7
chopnchaneled

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
I'd be stocking them up about once a week or so.If it keeps them motivated and your truck doesn't wind up in paint jail it would be worth it.
I don't know bout that, a few years back i was taking a customer to a racetrack in ohio for the year end championship and i was going to need some extra hands for the two week deal. well a buddy of mine said he would go if i bought all the beer. turns out that i could have hired a pro and flown them in and not cost as much ! LOL
Old 12-31-2011, 11:54 PM   #8
flashed

70chevytruck ,I will have around $12,000 total in my truck if things go as planned and nothing unexpected happens when the motor is torn down and that includes the purchase of the truck and all the parts I've collected .I will get pics the next time I;m up there if someone can post them for me.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote