The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-14-2016, 01:11 AM   #1
Flysocal

Ididit with keyed ignition?

I need to pull the trigger on a column. The Ididit keyed ignition has a 69 and newer GM style key. Would a locksmith be able to swap tumblers on the door lock on a 49 to match the Ididit ignition? Just another factor that will weigh in on my decision. Just one key for the truck would be nice.
Flysocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 01:29 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Ididit with keyed ignition?

You would have to ask your locksmith on that but we always carried two keys for years with most cars and trucks up until just a few years ago.

Depending on the build the key in the column setup makes for a pretty bulky column that may or may not work with the build. All modern stuff inside it will probably work ok but if you have a more traditional interior it might stick out a bit.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 06:15 PM   #3
HUSSEY

The new keys are longer, are they not? If that's the case, I would doubt they could make it work. Maybe use a newer style door lock cylinder?
Old 02-16-2016, 12:02 PM   #4
Flysocal

I agree with both posts. I want to keep the cab clean and simple. But I think the keyed ignition is the same size as the tilt column. I'm looking into new locks on the doors. Driver door didn't originally have a lock and the newer locks seem to be better technology/quality than my Chinese repops.
Old 02-20-2016, 02:14 PM   #5
Flysocal

I called ididit to get more info on column and they said my 54 stock steering wheel will not fit any of their columns! Then I called flaming river and they said it would. What gives? Both columns have the same steering wheel spline right? Now I'm really confused
Old 02-20-2016, 03:05 PM   #6
torchlight

Possible they are talking about the hub diameter of the steering wheel not matching the diameter of the column. Spline might fit, but the wheel won't look right. Maybe?
Old 02-20-2016, 03:11 PM   #7
Flysocal

Quote:
Originally Posted by torchlight View Post
Possible they are talking about the hub diameter of the steering wheel not matching the diameter of the column. Spline might fit, but the wheel won't look right. Maybe?
Steering wheel hub is 4" flaming river column 4" so it's spot on. I've read both catalogs and there is no mention of which years of wheels fit their columns. I was under the impression the GM spline was the same over the 50,60,70,80s. Unless someone here come shed some light I will call back Monday
Old 02-20-2016, 04:38 PM   #8
mr48chev

The wheel will fit on the spline and bolt up but the piece for the horn and the turn signal canceler may not work right. I'd have to think that is why Ididit told you it won't fit. Better to have a guy upset because you told him his wheel won't fit your column rather than having him raising hell all over the internet because all the functions won't work as he expected or the fit isn't as perfect as it could be.

As far as keys, even my wife's 97 Monte Carlo still has two keys. One for the ignition and one for the glove box, doors and trunk so I don't see what the big deal about only having one key is or why it is worth worrying about. Possibly if you had never driven a car or truck built before about 2000 before it would be a big deal but having grown up in the days when every rig had an ignition key and a door key for the most part it shouldn't be an issue.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 05:40 PM   #9
1project2many

Two keys was a GM "thing" for many years. Even back to the '30s when the glovebox used a different key from the door / ignition.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 03:14 PM   #10
Flysocal

That makes sense. The Ididit tech just said it wouldn't fit and didn't tell me why. The flaming river tech said it would fit but didn't say anything about turn signal cancelling and horn button. As for the key situation it's really no big deal but when I get my keyed column I might as well make it match my doors. I'm going to add a lock to the driver side and update both locks and make them work with Altman door locks.
Old 02-22-2016, 03:42 PM   #11
Flysocal

Called and spoke with flaming river and Ididit today. Flaming river is now not sure if it will work so i sent them some pics and dimensions of my wheel. Ididit confirmed it will fit but the horn and turn signal cancel may not just as mr48 posted. However, there is a fix but they don't sell it. RM motorsports does. Called them up and for only 500 they will make everything work if I send the the column and wheel. What a royal pain! I'm just gonna buy an Ididit column and see what's up?!? There's gotta be someone on the World Wide Web that's used an old original wheel with an Ididit column! If anybody could lead me to the thread I would appreciate it.
Old 02-22-2016, 03:42 PM   #12
Flysocal

As for the keyed ignition I bought an under dash mount