The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-23-2018, 09:34 AM   #1
Driver_WT

Ideal Wheelbase for S10 Frame Conversion

The previous owner/builder started with an S10 frame for an extended cab truck (122.9" wheelbase) and did not shorten it in the right place. So now we have to fix that. I believe that the regular cab long box S10 has a 117.9" wheel base and the 1953 Chevy truck had a 116" wheelbase. So my question is when I shorten the S10 frame, should I go for 117.9" wheelbase or 116" wheelbase?

Thanks.

Wade
Old 09-23-2018, 12:11 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Ideal Wheelbase for S10 Frame Conversion

This is where the stand back and look at it directly from the side to see exactly where having the tires in the wheel well openings comes into play.

I'd say that most guys feel that 116 is a tad short and doesn't put the rear wheel perfectly in the center of the opening. Some like to move the front wheel a bit forward in the opening with independent front ends.

Since you have to shorten the frame anyhow getting it perfect means more than an exact measurement that someone else suggests or the exact measurement of the standard cab long box S-10 You don't need to compromise as you can put the rear wheels where it will look perfect.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 03:19 PM   #3
dsraven

you should have the cab and front clip mounted and placed so you like the look of the front wheel in the wheel opening. then slip the box and fenders on,then slide the box fore and aft and see where you like the look of the tire in the rear wheel opening. disregard the space between the cab and the box at this point. then, when you get the look you like, measure the distance between the cab and box, compare to what it is supposed to be, and shorten the frame by the difference of those two dimensions. make sure to have the final diameter of tire installed so you can get a good idea of how it will look when you do this.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 03:44 PM   #4
Driver_WT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
you should have the cab and front clip mounted and placed so you like the look of the front wheel in the wheel opening. then slip the box and fenders on,then slide the box fore and aft and see where you like the look of the tire in the rear wheel opening. disregard the space between the cab and the box at this point. then, when you get the look you like, measure the distance between the cab and box, compare to what it is supposed to be, and shorten the frame by the difference of those two dimensions. make sure to have the final diameter of tire installed so you can get a good idea of how it will look when you do this.
Good suggestions. Thank you.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:39 PM   #5
MiraclePieCo

Go with the 118" wheelbase. Better too long than too short. 90% of the S10-to-AD frame swaps I see have the front wheels too far rearward in the openings. I understand that this is due to unanticipated caster change as engine weight load the front suspension. I thought mine was pretty good:
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2018, 01:51 PM   #6
mr48chev

I'd say dsraven nailed it right on the head. Get the front wheels perfectly centered in the wheel openings and then figure out the back as he suggested. The end wheelbase isn't carved in stone.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote