The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2014, 02:16 PM   #1
krisner89

What direction should I go

This is my first post. Had good use on thirdgen.org's message boards with getting my camaro going so hopefully this one is same if not better. Got a new project this past summer. A 1972 suburban that has been sitting in the woods for 20+ years. After running fuel lines from a gas can(fresh gas) to the fuel pump and some jumper cable's and half can starting fluid. The old girl actually started and ran. Put some tires on it (old one's flat and was sunk halfway down in dirt from sitting) and drove it 10 miles to my house. I'm the second owner. The guy I got it from bought it brand new off the dealer lot and hasn't got much use after he bought a 78' 4x4 suburban. Also brand new off dealer's lot.

I've been putting wd-40 on everything cause everything was seized. Doors, heater vents,etc.. now work. Even the A/C pump still kicks on. Only thing I don't like about it is its only two wheel drive. Would it be good idea to change frames. Its 100% original but is really rusty so I'm thinking a factory original restoration would not be worth it. I was thinking make it 4wd and have some fun with it. Or should I try to keep it original. Keep in mind its rusty and new sheet metal cost and availability is questionable.
Attached Images

krisner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:22 PM   #2
Clrussell

Re: What direction should I go

Welcome to the forum! It's a great place to find info, support, and some great ideas. Are you trying to decide wether to keep it original or 4x4 it? What would you get most use out of it by doing? How's the interior?
Old 01-15-2014, 06:37 PM   #3
CG
BlahBlahBlah

If it was mine I would put some more horns on the roof to even it out a little =)

Cool find ... Have fun with what ever way you decide to go.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:19 PM   #4
vectorit
What?

Welcome to the forum!

Personally I would start out just getting it all cleaned up inside and out, then go through all of the chassis equipment to make sure it runs and stops properly.

Once you have done all that, then take a step back and decide which way you can best afford to go in restoration or modification.

Who know's, you may be perfectly happy the way it is, once you have gone through it with some elbow grease and a few bucks.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:03 PM   #5
lowrollin70gmc
Too many projects

I'm digging the spot lights, I'm trying to find some to hang on my Burb. Anyways, I would get it running and reliable while a 2WD and then decide if slinging a front axle under it is worth your while. Due to the rarity of 4WD Burbs of this era I would look into an axle swap on you existing frame. DIY4x and Off Road Direct offer brackets that replace the core support mounts and use 52" long rear springs. I've heard of some success using them to convert 2WDs, and results in a softer, flexier suspension.
68 K20 Suburban 12V Cummins/NV5600/NP205/D60/11.5AAM 3.73s "Dakota Cadillac"
63 Chevy II Nova Coupe 250 I6/T56/4.56s "Economy car"
53 Willys Wagon 350/NV4500/BW4401/HP D44/9inch “Winter Wagon”
30 Model A 16 Focus ST
lowrollin70gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:38 PM   #6
dougo

Welcome and congrats on the burb! Like the others said, get it running, rule out anything major (mechanical wise), clean it up and see what you have to work with. Looks like you've got something decent to start with and have some fun!

Doug
Old 01-15-2014, 11:47 PM   #7
LockDoc
The Older Generation

... x5. Welcome from Iowa.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:09 AM   #8
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Listen to dougo and vectorit ... two of the sweetest burbs around. Those guys have the 4x4 burb thing down.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:55 PM   #9
krisner89

I've been tinkering with it all last summer and its fairly reliable. stops good. cleaned fuel tank and all that is good. Fixed a loose rocker. Put a cherry bomb cause factory exhaust was falling off. Cleaned it inside and out. Interior is shot. Squirrels or something got in there and had a party. I also repaired alot of wiring damage from the little critters.

The PO was a huge train fan. So I'm guessing the air horns were because of his hobby. The spotlights actually say GM on the chrome housing. The glass part says GE. I'm guessing they are factory or dealer installed since they say GM on them. PO was a doctor with no mechanical knowledge. He always took it to the dealer to get service done to it. No one else worked on it according to him.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:06 PM   #10
krisner89

I already have a couple toys that are 2wd. A camaro and a stepside chevy (seen in background in above pic). I don't have a 4x4 though and would be handy in the occasional blizzards we get. So I think I'm going to change it to 4wd.

Will any 67-72 long bed truck frame fit on a 72' burb. Seen a 71' 3/4 ton 4x4 truck frame on c-list. I also have a 78' long bed 4x4 frame I can get for free. Looking for the easiest route.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:48 PM   #11
70cst

Hey krisner89 ...

to the forums and from Ohio.

Looks like cool ride. Keep us updated to progress

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:27 AM   #12
Alex V.

Nice find and welcome to the board! It looks like you have a good start for a project in your 'Burb. While 4x4 is nice, I'm quickly finding out that my '67 C10 'Burb goes better in the snow than any of the other 2WD's in the family ('85 C3500, '97 1500 Suburban, '13 Cruze, and '90 Comanche), and I think the money you want to spend on the 4x4 conversion would go a long way toward fixing the body. At any rate, enjoy your classic and welcome.

1985 GMC C3500 SRW, Sierra Classic, 454/TH400, white/blue.
Alex V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:29 AM   #13
Gobuffalo

I have a 4x4. I love it. If I could do it over again I would change from leaf springs to a coil over / 4 link set up. The amount of work it takes to convert a 2x4 to a 4x4 is about the same using either leaf springs or the coil over set up. Lots of good kits in the after market. Off Road Design, Pure Performance, Off Road Connection, etc. Many offer bolt in kits, but your better off to weld all the brackets after you know everything is lined up. The ride quality and flexibility of the coil over set up is great. Trim the front of the wheel wells and 37s fit on a 6" lift.

Last edited by Gobuffalo; 01-20-2014 at 04:31 AM. Reason: Spelling
Gobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:19 AM   #14
Tinkermc

Well first off welcome to the Forum!!! Then on the truck I would check it all out and make it a working model first. Then it is your truck and only has to please you so do anything you want to it to make you happy. Just my 2 cents.
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote