The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-24-2016, 05:23 PM   #1
Stevetoxic

ZZ4 Intake

Any of you guys running a Goodwrench ZZ4 (or other dual pattern Intake) in your truck ?
I just installed one in my 59 and wonder if when using a square bore Edelbrock carb do I need a spacer/plate/adapter on the intake ?
Stevetoxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:10 PM   #2
1project2many

Re: ZZ4 Intake

You almost always need a plate to cover the larger secondary openings when putting a square bore carb on a spread bore intake.
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/mc/install-items/

Sometimes a simple plate like this can be used:
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:37 PM   #3
mr48chev

A simple check is to lay the Qjet to manifold gasket on the bottom side of the Square bore and see if you have all the needed areas covered. I had to use a spacer like the one he showed on my Cad 500 with a square bore carb because the linkage wouldn't clear the low profile manifold and work but can't remember if the carb would fit the manifold right otherwise. I know you need the spacer to go the other way as I have done that before using a spread bore on a square manifold.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:36 AM   #4
Stevetoxic

Thanks for your replies, I've spent the last few months (slow worker) carrying out some jobs on the old truck. Including the engine swap - the carb was on the old 283 and ran fine.
I've had this engine running and driven it around the block.
I have a faster than normal idle speed so am thinking vacuum leak - the idle adjustment screw will not slow it down.
When I test fit the carb to the manifold there seemed very little gasket area making contact.
I downloaded GM's ZZ4 info and it just states dual pattern intake, no mention of a plate/adapter.
Got a few jobs left to get it running right, busy weekend I guess.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:58 PM   #5
Coupeguy2001

Sometimes you can use a phenolic spacer to cut down the unwanted heat from the manifold to the carb, and the spacers come in 1/4 inch increments. My phenolic spacer is an inch thick.

Beware, it changes the fuel mixture on the carburetor under certain circumstances, and also affects the carburetor response time that your carburetor sees from the opening of the throttle to the actual carburetor response. This is due to the "compressibility" of air under a vacuum, such as in a carburetor manifold relationship. With a spacer, there is more air involved from the valves in the engine to the throttle plate.

I use a spacer with a step in it to give a venturi effect, and speed up the air past the spacer to nullify the small lag that the carb sees when it is raised another inch over the manifold. I have a ZZ4 with an Edelbrock intake.

This speeding up of the air changes the speed of the total air flow, and changes the fuel rate rawn out of the bowl: during acceleration at the end of the pump shot, steady throttle, and climbing a small hill when the vacuum signal is stronger before moving the gas pedal.
Drive your truck around with different thickness spacers, and if you can't tell much difference, the thicker one will do you the most good in keeping the fuel cooler, it won't hasten the vacuum signal through the jets, but the cooler fuel will be denser, making up for the small lag that you might otherwise feel.

Last edited by Coupeguy2001; 03-29-2016 at 12:17 AM.
Coupeguy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 02:50 AM   #6
Stevetoxic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupeguy2001 View Post
Sometimes you can use a phenolic spacer to cut down the unwanted heat from the manifold to the carb, and the spacers come in 1/4 inch increments. My phenolic spacer is an inch thick.

Beware, it changes the fuel mixture on the carburetor under certain circumstances, and also affects the carburetor response time that your carburetor sees from the opening of the throttle to the actual carburetor response. This is due to the "compressibility" of air under a vacuum, such as in a carburetor manifold relationship. With a spacer, there is more air involved from the valves in the engine to the throttle plate.

I use a spacer with a step in it to give a venturi effect, and speed up the air past the spacer to nullify the small lag that the carb sees when it is raised another inch over the manifold. I have a ZZ4 with an Edelbrock intake.

This speeding up of the air changes the speed of the total air flow, and changes the fuel rate rawn out of the bowl: during acceleration at the end of the pump shot, steady throttle, and climbing a small hill when the vacuum signal is stronger before moving the gas pedal.
Drive your truck around with different thickness spacers, and if you can't tell much difference, the thicker one will do you the most good in keeping the fuel cooler, it won't hasten the vacuum signal through the jets, but the cooler fuel will be denser, making up for the small lag that you might otherwise feel.
Wow - great info, thanks.
As a temporary fix I'm using an old 1/2" aluminium 4 hole spacer which seals well on the manifold.
Obviously getting heat transferred though that, but has run ok on the limited miles I have covered so far.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-29-2016, 07:34 AM   #7
Jemezcrusher

x2 on the spacer. I have a performer manifold on my ZZ4 with a half inch spacer to insulate from excess heat
Jemezcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 04:13 PM   #8
67 chevelle

had a zz4 in my 49 , great engine
, doubt you need a spacer as the manifold is for a square bore . I did not have one on mine , but was running a holley carb
69 Long Fleet , Custom , 6.0, 4l60 , AC , Medium Olive
67 chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:02 PM   #9
Coupeguy2001

Great!
Coupeguy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote