The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-13-2019, 11:17 PM   #26
jeffahart

Re: What master cylinder/proportioning valve to use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
A dragging rear brake system when the only change made was the installation of a disk/drum mc doesn't mean that using a disk/drum mc on a disk/drum system is a bad idea
Of course it's not a bad idea to use the proper MC. Never said that. But... it was a good idea for me. Not advocating it. Just a fact and I was the one working through it. I got sick of messing with it and stepped back to what worked. When I moved forward again it was with a system off the one ton.

j
Old 02-14-2019, 11:02 AM   #27
MDPotter

Thank you everyone for the feedback, I'm learning a lot here.

The way I see it, I'm faced with two options now:

1-Keep the duramax disc/disc booster or pull a booster off a 2nd gen Astro (downward angle requires new master when modifying mounting plate to eliminate angle). Disc/drum prop valve from Speedway. Find a master cylinder that is made for the short pushrod which both of these boosters have-perhaps a master cylinder for a 96 3/4 ton diesel (disc/drum factory)?

2-Search for a 1st gen Astro complete setup (booster, master cylinder, prop valve).
1978 Chevy Scottsdale K20
1993 Chevy C1500 - 5.3/T56 swapped
2008 Silverado Duramax
MDPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 12:40 PM   #28
jeffahart

If I were you, I would go route 2. Then after it works, and all good, ditch the hideous astro master and move to corvette master or what ever looks like it belongs in there. Lots of samples out there of setups that work. Just follow one, no need to reinvent the wheel. Capt fab even sells brackets, shows it's a common upgrade. Look at an implementation that works, follow it from the pedal to the lines, make your parts list then bust a move. You will be fine. It's an easy and fun upgrade.

j