The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-08-2011, 09:29 PM   #1
qksilver

Has anybody ever........

I have looked thru and done searches on this site and have come up empty. You might have seen my post about when is enough , enough. I have whittled down my complete trucks to one and now in the process of going thru the stacks of parts and come up quite a few things i had forgotten about.

So here is where I stand and what I want to do. I am in the process of buying a swb 2wd leaf spring rolling frame. I do have a lwb 4x4 but don't want to cut or strip it. A set of 3/4 axles 3:73 ratio from an 86 burb and a 3/4 3:73 rear from a 72, several 700r trans and transfer cases and plenty of drive shafts so i am cover there.

What I want to do is make the the 2wd frame into a 4x4 using what I have, I know about DIY kits. I have the complete front suspension and steering from the 86 burb minus the frame. I have 2 4x4 crossmembers, one stock (69) and one somebody built from square tubing that was in a 72.

So can I use the 86 burb front shackle mounts etc to mount the 3/4 front drive axle on the swb frame? If not could i round up, I think I have a complete front set from a 72 somewhere and mount that stuff to my swb 2wd leaf spring frame?

Are the rear shackle mounts the same 2wd to 4x4 and the springs? I know the shackles them selves are different.

I have enough decent parts for a complete truck but I want to do a 4x4 bb. I know the pitfalls of bb in our trucks , I have done a few conversions over the years so that isn't a problem.

The problem is money, and the parts i am using are ok but not good enough to really sell and not bad enough to scrap. Time and some fabrication skills are what i have. I am physically limited to a certain degree so I would rather ask for opinions and ideas to narrow things down a bit and to save my energy. Axle and engine etc stuff is heavy and I work alone.

Thanks for the time reading this and thanks in advance for idea's, options and advice.

Steve
qksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:08 AM   #2
woodwright
Enjoying left field

Re: Has anybody ever........

check out my K10 build thread in my sig.

70 Chevy 4WD "Ultimate Work Truck" SOLD
woodwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:39 AM   #3
duallyjams

You have all the major parts and pieces needed to do what you want to do. Use the 86 front suspension pieces as the front springs are longer so it will help the ride.

63 GMC V6 4speed carryall
65 chevy swb bbw V8 auto
68 K20 327/4 speed, buddy buckets
2002 GMC CC Dually Duramax

64 GMC lwb 3/4 V6 4speed SOLD
66 GMC swb bbw buddy buckets SOLD

IG duallyjams

The only thing that stays the same is constant change!
duallyjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:34 PM   #4
qksilver

thanks guys.......a little research and advice has made working on these trucks easier

Steve
qksilver is offline   Reply With Quote