The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-24-2013, 03:10 PM   #1
srvivor71

Front Wheel Bearing Help

I'm going to replace the front wheel bearings in my 71 K1500 (equipped with disk brakes). I've been looking at them on line and see that different trucks (in my model) might have different front bearings, depending on the axle or some other criteria. So: Before I run out and buy ones that don't fit, what do I need to know? Any advice on this subject is welcome. Thanks.
srvivor71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #2
Wasted Income
Boosted Member

Re: Front Wheel Bearing Help

Subscribed.
2014 VW Passat TDI - Daily Driver
Turbo diesel
2015 Sierra Denali HD Duramax Turbo diesel
2016 Ford Explorer Sport - Twin Turbskis
2017 Polaris RZR Turbo
2014 Nor-Tech Center Console - Twin Supercharged Outboards

TURBO ALL THE THINGS!!
Wasted Income is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:58 PM   #3
zac

Not sure I have a clear answer, but I literally went through this today. My understanding was that all the outboard parts of a Dana 44 and a 10 bolt were the same. So I pulled the Dana off the front of my '72 suburban parts truck and slid a trashed 10 bolt under it so that I can roll it around. Tubes on a Dana are apparently narrower than a 10 bolt; u-bolts wouldn't fit. Rigged something up, took the rusty discs off the Dana and tried to put them on the 10 bolt spindles. Wouldn't fit. Inner wheel bearing of the Dana is significantly smaller than the 10 bolt. Outer bearings are the same. I think your best bet is to plan your project so you can pull the bearings off and take them to the store with you. Or order all the variations and return what you dont' use.
zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:12 PM   #4
fp1967

Like zac said, your best bet is to take yours apart and get the bearing numbers and match them up. If you don't want to do this, all the K10's and K5's have the same inner and outer bearings and seals up through 1976. In 1977, they went to the bigger inner wheel bearing as zac said. The oldest closed knuckle front end from these trucks that I've had apart was from a 1967, and it also had the same bearings and seals. Sometimes the parts books make it difficult to figure things out. I have some bearing books out in my garage, if you want me to, I could look up the numbers for you this weekend.
fp1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:12 AM   #5
srvivor71

Quote:
Originally Posted by fp1967 View Post
Like zac said, your best bet is to take yours apart and get the bearing numbers and match them up. If you don't want to do this, all the K10's and K5's have the same inner and outer bearings and seals up through 1976. In 1977, they went to the bigger inner wheel bearing as zac said. The oldest closed knuckle front end from these trucks that I've had apart was from a 1967, and it also had the same bearings and seals. Sometimes the parts books make it difficult to figure things out. I have some bearing books out in my garage, if you want me to, I could look up the numbers for you this weekend.
I think you guys are right about taking it apart first, then matching them up. The only thing I worry about is if they will be available at my local parts store. If not, I'll have to reassemble everything with the old parts to get it off my friend's lift while I wait for parts.
srvivor71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:27 PM   #6
zac

Just from eyeballing it I assume it would be possible to swap later spindles on the early axle and use the larger bearings. I will certainly consider it if I use the Dana on one of my other trucks. Of course, the original bearings had lots of miles on them and looked fine. Depends on how much of a glutton for punishment you are , I guess.
zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:45 PM   #7
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

If you are in or near a town big enough to have a NAPA, they should have them or at least get them with the next delivery. It is a pretty common vehicle, parts like wheel bearings are easy to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote